Exhaust Modification-muffler Bypass: Pics Added

Guest VFRoj

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loosen and lower/remove exhaust. Remove heat shields. Put larger holesaw around outer tips and drill circle around them. Take smaller holesaw and fit it between the two tips. Drill until outer tip is removeable. Install mufflers and enjoy.

I know this is a long overdue reply, but I just picked up a spare set of OEM cans to try this on. So the difference between your method and the threadstarter is that you are cutting off the exhaust tips, and his method is retaining them, correct?

Yours i byfar easier. Do you have a pic not so close up of how it looks without the tips?

Any tips to get through the shoulder? I have broken the weld using the 1 inch holesaw but havent made it through the shoulder. Even though its loose once I dremel I dont think I will be able to get that "shoulder" through the exhaust tip opening.

I have been going at it with the holesaw for way too long.

• Member Contributer

Any tips to get through the shoulder? I have broken the weld using the 1 inch holesaw but havent made it through the shoulder. Even though its loose once I dremel I dont think I will be able to get that "shoulder" through the exhaust tip opening.

I have been going at it with the holesaw for way too long.

Post some pic's .

• Member Contributer

Well Kevin it's beyond your skillz so I won't explain. :comp13: Say do you have spare 5th gen motor? Mine's been running a little hot but damn the oil looks good! I shouldn't need to change it for at least 50k miles!!! :wacko:

BTW you'll need a special tool for this project: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=51&zenid=Z40Abxs5Sk4Vqm9TNzpL30

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

You'll gain so much power once you do away with the losses of having to pump all that heavy viscous fluid, you'll need a set of these as well:

BrassBalls.jpg

Sold in sets of three, because you're worth it.

• Member Contributer

You'll gain so much power once you do away with the losses of having to pump all that heavy viscous fluid, you'll need a set of these as well:

BrassBalls.jpg

Sold in sets of three, because you're worth it.

Right up until the piston stops .

• 1 month later...

Im considering doing this while i have pms (parked motorcycle syndrome). But why do you need a drill? Wont the dremel alone be able to cut the pipes?

Once you take the rear cap off, you have to use a holesaw bit on a power drill to drill around the base of the pipes. Then you're supposed to cut them off. That's how I did mine at least.

• 1 year later...

I modified my 2012 VFR with just the dremel.  I wanted to keep the rear look of the bike as standard so I made an extension for the dremel tool so that I could reach deeper into the exhaust pipe to make the first cut.  As with the previous methods described in this forum, I clipped the grinding discs to the opening size of the pipe by using a washer of the exact same inside diameter as a template.  Once I had made the initial deep cut through the pipe I then used the standard dremel tool to make the second cut to the pipe just on the inside of the can.  Once cut through, the inch or so of internal pipe fell away inside the can.  I did this on all four pipes.  The effect is a deeper, throatier growl that the bike did not have previously but not so loud as to be unlawful or ridiculously loud.  The bike looks stock standard from the rear but sounds great.  Any cops checking it out would have no clue of the modification and there are none of the water ingress problems of some of the other modifications.  The cut-off sections of the pipe don't rattle or create any issues at all - wouldn't even know they are there. Power, responsiveness and economy of the bike is unchanged.  So, for a bargain basement price of about $30 (use the reinforced dremel grinding discs!) I now have a great sounding bike.  Sure beats the $1000's for aftermarket pipes!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

People,

what size of Dremel discs have you used for this mods?

i have bought a stock exhaust for this modification so if i dont like i still have my original standard exhaust.

reading all the comments, i think i will like it and that is what i am after.

i could only fine 1.5" diameter discs here in bunnings store. may be i am not looking right.

appreciate your guidence.

ride safe

Vish

Archived