Tired Of Having A Hot Vfr?

JES_VFR

Part of the overheating problem on the GL1800 was due to air pockets (air bound) left in the cooling system after coolant changes. In one of my Motorcycle Consumer News editions some guy invented a device just for bleeding the air out of Goldwing cooling systems using a venturi system (compressed air) to pull the air pockets out, very ingenious little system. We don't have the same problem on the VFR's, all the air seems to find it's way out the top without to much trouble. The 98 VTR fan 19020-mbb-003 is only $31. Not a big financial risk. I don't think it will make it run any hotter, so if it doesn't work I'm only out $31 bucks. I'm going for the multifaceted approach. I changed my coolant to Engine Ice, propelyne glycol based coolant, not a big difference if any at all. Changing my fan switch to come on at 195, and the VTR fan. I'll let you know how this works

Guest silkysmooth

I can tell what happens when the temp gauge hit's 256 the indicator starts to blink off and on.It happen going up a very technical curvy mountain and was stuck for several minutes behind a very slow SUV,stopped and let fan bring temps to 215,run fine the rest of the day temps and all.Except the rear rotor did turn blue after so very hard riding. blush.gif

So, just out of curiosity, what is the next step? Bigger radiators? thermo switch that turns the fan on sooner? Addition of a second fan on the right radiator? or a manual fan on/off switch?

Enquiring minds want to know....

PS my new fan is on order, should arrive late this week.

I went to my dealer to order the SH fan and they say they are on back order. Meaning no way can they tell when I would get one if I ordered.

Just curiuos - how many of us jumped out and ordered one? New demand - new shortage?

MD

Order one after I hit 249 on a run a few weeks ago. Also burped the system which seems to have helped a lot. Still hitting over 230 very often.

Edited by silkysmooth

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

When it is that hot you risk head damage. The metal near the exhaust valves is so hot the water is boiling locally there and preventing proper contact of coolant to the metal surface. Running a water wetting agent gains you the ability to get the heat out before it gets that hot. Running straight water gets you additional cooling power over coolant. Then you just need an anti corrosive to prevent it from rusting away.

Doesn't work in freezing temps, I keep mine in the garage to solve that.

I also popped the little metal bit out of the thermostat (the wobbly crimped pin) for a bit of constant flow improvement.

This was all very easy to do (minus getting at the thermostat but I had to change coolant hoses in that area anyway), and has totally made this a non-issue for me.

Best of luck.

There are all sorts of ways to raise the boiling temp of the coolant, but that doesn't solve the issue of running hot and eventually overheating.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ive never ever over heated and Im in Southern Texas , Not california

So why not fix what youve created, or thats wrong with the bike. Cause I can tell ya there is no overheating if everythings right.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm resurrecting a thread from the dead, summer is here and I want to see some activity on better cooling.

The Honda VTR1000F / Superhawk / Firestorm was available from 1998-2005, seems the fan is the same across all the years according to the part numbers.

Was there any progress to adding any other additional cooling such as a fan to the RHD radiator? I know that it has been talked about using an RC51 5 row oil cooler and one member did that mod on his 5th gen. I haven't seen it done on a 6th gen, or at least it hasn't been mentioned.

I remember one VFR owner using aluminum extruded cooling finned tubes to connect his radiators for added cooling since he had to down size his RHD radiator to fit the supercharger.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/907143887/Aluminum_extruded_parts_with_cooling_fin.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/907130128/Aluminum_extruded_cooling_fin.html

http://www.gearainey.com/opencms/opencms/grc/en/Air_Cooled_Heat_Exchangers/Finned_Tubes.html