My Bike

Guest Salty42

Guest Salty42

Pics will come (eventually)... Sorry.

My camera is MIA as of this moment. A lot has happened since I started this modifcation. Moved twice, broke my leg, changed jobs half a dozen or so times, etc.

Summary of mods:

-Rear swingarm brace and brake mod (completed)

-CBR 600F2 rear wheel and custom spacers (completed)

-Deletion of California-type Evap system (in progress)

-Front end swap (in progress)

-Cobalt Racing fairings (in progress)

I work all day and then I go to school and work on my bike, so its slow going.

The front end:

-SP2 forks/brake calipers

-SP1 wheel/rotors/fender

-929/954 triples

-Stock steering stem

-Stock clutch master cylinder

-F4i brake master cylinder

-Pazzo shorty levers

-Kevlar brake lines

-Trail-Tech Vapor computer

-Bars are still to be sorted out

Originally, after I broke my leg my bike sat for a few months. Ran like crap so I figured I'd do a carb clean. Intake ports looked badly carboned up so I decided to replace the valve guide seals. Had to drop the motor and figured I'd clean the heads up while I had them off. motor is reassembled and ready to go back in, carbs cleaned and ready as well. As of right now I'm in the process of doing the front end.

I have a camera borrowed tmporarily so pics will come shortly of current progress but I have lost quite a few of them for the moment.

Guest Salty42

Sorry for the quality on these pics. The borrowed cam isn't the greatest...

Current state of the bike:

gallery_5524_3777_8678.jpg

DCFN0003.JPG

New front end next to OEM front end:

gallery_5524_3777_114089.jpg

DCFN0004.JPG

Stock triple/stem and 929/954 triple/stem:

gallery_5524_3777_91831.jpg

DCFN0005.JPG

Ready to press OEM steering stem (right) into 929/954 lower triple (left):

gallery_5524_3777_85944.jpg

DCFN0008.JPG

Edited by Salty42

Guest Salty42

The modified OEM swingarm, brake, brake torque arm, and shock were acquired from Cobalt Racing; as were the wheel spacers. Nice pieces but not an easy fit. The lengthened OEM shock was good other than needing to fenagle the lower mount bolt to get it through both sides. The chain rubbed the brace and the swingarm needed to be stretched wider to fit everything in there; somewhat confirming old listers measurement differences between home-made wheel spacers and the Cobalt Racing pieces. Chuck (of Cobalt) said that it should only need minimal stretching and also recommended to use a ball-pien hammer to dent a recess into the area where the chain was rubbing. I ended up using a bottle jack to widen the gap between swingarm sides and cutting out a ''trough'' where the chain rubbed and welding it back in upside down to seal the square tubing back up, worked out pretty well. I was able to find some pics of this on my computer but don't have any that show a lot of detail. I'll try to get a pic of the finished product soon. The following is a shot of the swingarm just after installation, and one to show the clearance issues of the chain.

gallery_5524_3777_1037041.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

gallery_5524_3777_294315.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Guest Salty42

I assume you mean side shots of the swingarm. This is the best I've got at the moment.

Pics from the inside of the swingarm. If you look just to the left of the weld in the center of the pics, on the bottom edge of the brace, you can see where the chain rubbed on the first test ride. Although it was more of a ''take the bike outside, fire it up, ride in a circle and right back inside...''

gallery_5524_3777_22618.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

gallery_5524_3777_1065131.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

• 3 months later...

man youre doing stuff to this bike that i havent even HEARD of anybody doing yet...one of these days ive got to get the chance to see the bike and all the work youve done to it. let me know when that beast is all put back together and maybe we can terrorize the streets of DFW sometime. :fing02:

Guest Salty42

So... Where were we...

After I pressed the '87 steering stem into the 929/954 lower triple, I was able to figure out exactly where I wanted to put the steering stops. Decided on drilling and tapping the stops on the triple and installing some small bolts with jam-nuts for adjustability.

gallery_5524_3777_108620.jpg

DCFN0021.JPG

Then I was able to mock up the front end and figure out how my clip-ons would have to go. First problem; I soon realized that I was limited as to how far down in the triples I could mount the RC51 forks, by the taper on the upper fork tubes. This was a concern because the difference in length of the RC51 forks, as compared to the stock VFR bits, (51 forks are much shorter) I wanted to mount them with as much length as possible. Notice my clip-ons are mounted above the upper triple with about 50 percent engagement on the forks.

gallery_5524_3777_155035.jpg

DCFN0024.JPG

gallery_5524_3777_102416.jpg

DCFN0027.JPG

gallery_5524_3777_59930.jpg

('07 CBR1000RR heli-bars switched, left for right)

gallery_5524_3777_69133.jpg

DCFN0026.JPG

Once I had the wheel mounted I started to realize how close to the motor/radiator it would be. So I stopped at that point and decided to install the motor and radiator and check for clearance to the wheel.

gallery_5524_3777_116248.jpg

DCFC0002.JPG

Once I got that done I got it running and ended up needing to replace some o-rings in the cooling system. Got the brakes bled and I was on my way.

gallery_5524_3777_68288.jpg

DCFC0005.JPG

gallery_5524_3777_19310.jpg

DCFC0041.JPG

Now, that its all been said and done... about 2 weeks later one of my rear rotor bolts backed itself out (must not have put enough loc-tite on it) and clipped my caliper hanger and broke it clean in half. And since I didn't measure it before installation, I didn't notice immediately that one of my front rotors was slightly warped, thanks e-bay :warranty: ... still rideable just really annoying. So I've got new front rotors on the way and I am in search of a new OEM '87 vfr rear brake caliper hanger to hack up for my custom rear set-up.

Current pics are on the way....

I realized today that including the original model, my bike is made of parts from 7 different models:

'87 VFR700F2 -Base

'92 CBR600F2 -Rear Wheel

'02 CBR600F4i -Front Brake M/C

'02 CBR954RR -Upper and Lower Triples

'07 CBR1000RR -Clip-ons

'01 RC51 SP1 -Front Wheel/Rotors

'02 RC51 SP2 -Forks

Edited by Salty42

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have got to get me one of those front ends! Well.....how did she do?

It really looks nice and fun. Nice and fun.............that's why we ridem'! :pissed:

Guest Salty42
..... I ended up using a bottle jack to widen the gap between swingarm sides and cutting out a ''trough'' where the chain rubbed and welding it back in upside down to seal the square tubing back up, worked out pretty well. ....

Still riding with no rear brake... since my caliper holder broke, I haven't been able to get another one at a reasonable price and modify it to work on this swingarm set-up. Also, I haven't received my front rotors yet (from e-bay) so one of my fronts is still a little bent.

Other than that, everything has worked out fairly well. I had concerns about the new geometry of the bike but it's good. Steering is not too quick, no head shake whatsoever. I still want to measure my trail, wheelbase, and some other things but my worries that the rear shock was too long have been forgotten, I think if I put the shorter shock in that the rear would be too low and adversly affect my trail.

So basically: new forks are MILES better than stock, as are the new front brakes. Steering is quick but not unstable. Bars are still a little too low and forward, but I'll live. ..... honestly I think you 5th genners probably have the most comfy stock riding position, they just feel so roomy and the bars are right where you want 'em. But I think I'll keep mine :biggrin:

Guest Badazzteacher

How's that new front fork working out on there? I have often though of doing something like that to my fifth gen. Just don't know if it's possible. Anyone know what front end I could use?

• 3 months later...
Guest Salty42

the short story is: on my way home from work, Friday before T'giving a chinese food delivery driver (on a delivery run) waited till the last second to pull out in front of me (with my hi-beam flashing and traffic right behind me) he said he never saw me. I tried to stop, but as close as I was it may be better that the bike chose to go down. I think I lost traction because of how cold it was that night coupled with the road repairs which created patches of different types of concrete in that section of the road. but who knows... one thing is certain some poor bastard got some cold chinese food that night.

The damage easily out weighs the value of the bike. It will be a total loss. just trying to decide if I should make it a streetfighter and put it back on the road, or part it out and try to recoup some of my losses.

Edited by Salty42

Guest Salty42

I tumbled down the road a little and was surprised that I had no major injuries. My bike slid into the guys car, which is why it got damage to both sides. I initially went down on the left side. frame is ok, motor seems ok, radiator cracked, clip-ons and levers fairly mangled, air horn crushed into oil filter, tank smashed in by clip-ons, key bent in half and ignition rashed up pretty good, upper fairing and stay bent and mangled, seat cowl toast, windshield obliterated, mirrors obliterated, gauge cluster obliterated there's more but all the main parts are ok mostly.

If I do end up parting it out, you guys will be the first to know, still got lots of good parts. I know I could probaby double my money doing a full strip and part, but I've invested so much time into this thing I hate to dismember her, kinda feels like giving up, unfortunately I could really use the money. Still up in the air on it, especially since I'm still dealing with the guys insurance co who has deemed it a total loss but don't have an adjuster assigned to me and haven't yet ''determined liability''

Man that just SUX! Glad you were not hurt!!!

Ins. could be a major pain because of all the non-stock Mods that they just will not be able to figure out unless you actually have receipts for everything.

Good luck and again glad your OK!

• Member Contributer

WOW what a shame, At least you are OK. That almost brings a tear to my eye. I'm sure it did yours.... Sorry man...

Guest Salty42

Ins co has already deemed the bike a total loss. blue book is around $1800 and we got to $3500 real quick just pricing some of the stock stuff that was damaged, we didn't get very far into it before we realized this so we didn't even finish the estimate.

what makes it suck more is even if the blue book was around $4000 and the damage estmiate was around $3000 almost every part is discontinued or unavailable. I'd be searching for months/years to try to replace this stuff stock.

I've got lots of spare stuff laying around so I could probably get it back on the road but the sad truth is I just don't have the money to get it looking new. I think the best I could hope for is one badazz streetfighter.

I had to figure out another way to/from work. I had a 91 maxima that has been sitting for over a year (didn't run very well) lo and behold after a year of sitting, the day I get into an accident someone broke out one of the windows on it and tried to steal the stereo (a tape deck). So the next day I stuck a new batt in and fresh tank of gas and drove it to work the monday following my get-off; I didn't make it 2 miles before I got pulled over and ticketed for no ins., expired registration and inspection.