Constant Electrical Issues...

Guest Mitchell12481

HEY HONDA: Your Proctolgist called....I think they found your head!

If you are going to have such a ridiculous statement in your sig you might want to get the spelling correct

Ridiculous?? Oh, so threads like this one and dozens more of a similar nature don't exist, right? Here we are donating our time trying to help out fellow VFR-lovers with their electrical (among other glitches) due to Honda's lack of rigor... "ridiculous" is criticising a minor spelling mistake (obviously a typo) and calling a very valid take on Honda's quality control ridiculous... how many recalls have there been on the 02-05 VFRs???

Alternator defective.

Wiring harness design flawed.

Rear subframe snapping.

PCV valve failure.

(Were there more?)

All to the point where they were banned from selling any more until the fixes were done... tightwad is a respected member of this forum, so much so they've given him "volunteer" status... are you on Honda's payroll or something?

Okay this is not going well...I got in all my parts I ordered. I am tired of chasing my tail around and around so I just bought a new stator and R/R from ricks. I also purchased the "Beef up your wires" kit and added to my harness. I finally got the baked gasket all off and install a new one.....and it fired just fine. Here were the specs. Oh, I also took my battery to a shop and had it put under a load....seemed fine so I did not purchase a new one.

Battery with bike off 12.69V ( I thought good)

Watched the voltage as I fired it up....it only spiked down to 10 V (still good)

Battery with bike on running went from 12.3 and steadily declined.... to 11.89 and continued to slowly decrease

(Not so good!)

The rectifier did seem to be working when I went up to 5000RPM the battery went up to 14.6V

What do you suppose the issue is now.....a bad battery? Eventhough it tested fine (held its voltage over time and passed the load test!) Please help....I want to get on the road~!

The stator ground check is the easiest and the most frequent issue, if theres a stator issue. Ya need to use the highest ohm reading scale to pick up any continuity, there should be absolutely none on all 3 yellows to ground.

on a 50 ohm scale ya may see no continity, but on a 10kohm scale you see continuity as an example

Okay this is not going well...I got in all my parts I ordered. I am tired of chasing my tail around and around so I just bought a new stator and R/R from ricks. I also purchased the "Beef up your wires" kit and added to my harness. I finally got the baked gasket all off and install a new one.....and it fired just fine. Here were the specs. Oh, I also took my battery to a shop and had it put under a load....seemed fine so I did not purchase a new one.

Battery with bike off 12.69V ( I thought good)

Watched the voltage as I fired it up....it only spiked down to 10 V (still good)

Battery with bike on running went from 12.3 and steadily declined.... to 11.89 and continued to slowly decrease

(Not so good!)

The rectifier did seem to be working when I went up to 5000RPM the battery went up to 14.6V

What do you suppose the issue is now.....a bad battery? Eventhough it tested fine (held its voltage over time and passed the load test!) Please help....I want to get on the road~!

A good charged battery will read 13volt(mine can sit a week and still be at 13) but droppin below 12.7 its on the way out , I'd have went OEM, no time to mess with aftermarket stuff myself, VFR Oem stator is fairly cheap $150 compared to the 350 dollars I payed for my last bike. Hopefully ya live to enjoy that decision

HEY HONDA: Your Proctolgist called....I think they found your head!

If you are going to have such a ridiculous statement in your sig you might want to get the spelling correct

The spelling might be wrong, but the statement reflects Hondas problems today! The VFR problems are the tip of the iceberg, they are having quality control problems that are appaling, like crankshafts out of balance on ATV's, Bad clutches on ATV's and dirt bikes, valve train failures on the new titanium systems, Gold Wing frames cracking, etc.

I have been a big Honda fan for as long as I have been involved in the motorcycle industry (20+ years) But now I am having second thoughts. It is disturbing when a wrench at a dealer opens a crate with a new machine, and in it, he/she finds new parts to fix problems that the factory left in the bike at the time of shipping, so that it can now, be fixed and parked in the show room floor! My 2 cents.

P.S. I plead the 5th.

Sounds like most companies nowadays , But Honda did address the vfr issues on the latest 6th gens, obviously somethin they never took too seriuos the past 20 years on the vfr. I had to replace a front cam tensioner on my 06 (36,000 mile), but that was nothing but a noise issue, the bike eats road like crazy, no mechanical or electrical issues.

Archived