The High Mileage Thread... What Do You Have On Your Vfr?

Guest mikeym

968 members have voted

1. 1. The High Mileage Thread... What Do You Have On Your Vfr?

• 0 - 5000 miles
    • 5001 - 10,000 miles
    • 10,001 - 20,000 miles
    • 20,001 - 30,000 miles
    • 30,001 - 40,000 miles
    • 40,001 - 50,000 miles
    • Over 50,000 miles...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel somewhat embarrassed to say this but here it goes. My 08 just flipped 1k today. She's still going strong, I mean she's just breaking in. :fing02:

Embarrassed...why? Don't you like your bike?

Awww... don't worry about the mileage hounds. Their bikes had 1000 miles on then once as well. <grin>

Cheers! E-Ticket

so im curious....some folks on this thread have some REALLY high miles on their old viffers (107k + on a 1st gen! wheatie, you rock!) im curious as to how some of yall get so many miles on your bikes. i guess this would end up being a poll question. are your miles (a) commuting to work and back daily, (b) a TON of leisure time spent on the bike, or © completely blowing off your cage unless/until you NEED to use it (ie carrying passengers, large items, or avoiding really bad weather)?

as old and rough as mine is, i can stand tall and claim ©. im just hoping to roll that odometer further than 47,000 miles soon....despite how much i ride lately, i just cant compete with mileage like 100k+

• Member Contributer
so im curious....some folks on this thread have some REALLY high miles on their old viffers (107k + on a 1st gen! wheatie, you rock!) im curious as to how some of yall get so many miles on your bikes. i guess this would end up being a poll question. are your miles (a) commuting to work and back daily, (b) a TON of leisure time spent on the bike, or © completely blowing off your cage unless/until you NEED to use it (ie carrying passengers, large items, or avoiding really bad weather)?

as old and rough as mine is, i can stand tall and claim ©. im just hoping to roll that odometer further than 47,000 miles soon....despite how much i ride lately, i just cant compete with mileage like 100k+

I have a combination of those you listed.

A couple months after getting my VFR I sold my cage and had the VFR as my primary transport for about a year, also did a lot of leisure time riding that year.

Now, I only ride twisties and sometimes trailer the 45 miles to where they start +1.gif . I usually log 450-500 miles every trip out, which is usually once every 7-14 days.

ETA: I am at over 70K miles now, up from the 65K I posted in the start of this thread.

• Member Contributer

21K miles on my 99. It had 16K when I bought it a year ago. It has had the typical electrical gremlins, but they are manageable (and I'm no wrench). I can see riding thids bike for another ten years and being very happy with it. The real cool thing about this is that it only cost about $4K.

• 2 months later...

I used to ride an '85 VF700C (magna) and it was pretty much high traffic, stop and go, commuting bike year round in the Pacific NW (dry summers, rainy winters). Bought it with about 15K miles and sold it (still running strong) at about 85K miles. Had to replace a coil on it once and the ignition switch, but no major work to the engine at all. In fact, I think I only had it in the shop once for a general tune up in the 70k miles I put on it. Just changed the oil every 2-3K miles. The guy I sold it to hasn't ridden it much (if at all...he was new to motorcycles and got cold feet about riding it)...I may have to think about getting it back as a 2nd bike.

Closing on 65,000 miles. Will work on that tomorrow. Might be almost time for an aftermarket pipe.

Not that I was looking, but some members here have a way of making Jardine offers I can't refuse. :biggrin:

My '07 RWB has 2,500 on it now, going to put alot more on it! I got it in July of this year. I came off of a fully modded RC51 that I had for 5 years. And it had full Ohlins on it. So I putting Ohlins on the VFR. Some of the things that I learned from the RC, I'm trying with the VFR. I'm making the VFR has bullet proof as possible. I really like this bike! :biggrin: It's my do everything bike! I ride it to work, shopping, cruising, touring, a trackday or two, etc. When the weather is bad (winter) I normally drive my PowerWagon.

Just got my 98' two weeks and 1 day ago with 10,990 and turned 13,150 today which is 2,160 so far. This is my primary and only vehicle and I commute to work 105 miles total plus leisure riding all adds up. Of course no problems since iv'e had it but plan on replacing the R/R in the near future because those do tend to go out and i'm riding from here in Orlando to Charlotte NC hopfully in the next two weeks.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Now at 44k on my '02.....but the season's just gotten under way. Would like to hit 60k by winter.

Its good to have goals....

I am currently at 27,500. I do 7K miles a year, nearly all commuting. I wish I could get out and ride more, but just don't have the time/funds to manage it.

got 65,000 miles on my 2000 vfr. It was running great at 60,000 miles and I did check the valves, and they were a little tight. Adjust the valves, clean the air filter(k&n), new set of plugs and I bet it picked

up 10 horses. I love this bike, no leaks, no noises and it always get ridden fast, either the back roads or trackdays.

• Member Contributer
Is an RVF allowed to vote???

Mr.RC45 has 54,496 miles and not many were in moderation either...

288884845_caf5487bfc_b.jpg

ROFL....nice.

02 @ 41K miles. I moved too close to work (4.25 miles) so my 10k per year average has dropped significantly. I am trying to make it up in road trips. :goofy:

• 4 weeks later...

My '86 has 13,000 it sat alot of it life in someones garage.

I've put 3,000 on it in the last year and 1/2 Hope to take it 2400 going from NC to TX and back in October

• Member Contributer
22,500 on mine, and she's only 14 months old. No problems so far, and I figure I'll have the valve check done next winter, probably around 35-40K.

Just over a year later, she's now at 49K. Valve check was done at 32K (all in spec), and the only mechanical/electric failure thus far has been the stator burning out at 42K.

My present ride (Black Betty II) has 85000kms. But my original VFR, the red one, had 163000kms when it was written off in an accident.

Archived