Oil Fiter Options For The Honda.

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer

Have all the filters listed in the first post been proven to be superior to the stock Honda filter?

Read for yourself, this tester feels the Honda Filter isn't of the same quality as the recommended filters. :musik20:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

But just like oil to a certain level, anyone will work if you change it often enough or before it starts to loose it's ability to do what it's meant to do. :biggrin:

++++4 on what Baileyrock has said. Read the article, then comment. We are not closed minded, but this has all been hashed to pieces several times.

MOst mc filters open completely up (unfiltered) under full throttle conditions. I think debating which filters best under these conditions is meaningless. Actually Auto filters can prevent full oil flow under these conditions, cause they have higher pressure requirement to open up and bypass.......

The only time the by-pass opens is if the filter is near clogged and causes a backpressure which exceeds the pop-off bypass level. Motorcycles do not normally have very high pressures or high flows as compared to the auto engines that these filters were designed for. The margin of reserve flow to prevent over pressuring is quite large. Unfiltered oil is extremely unlikely if the filter is ever changed, and the oil is not sludged out. I think the important factors regards quality of filtration, especially in small micron size, is the best protective factor to consider when choosing a fliter.

• 1 month later...

I use the honda car filter. A honda hybrid filter is identical to the bike filter.

I use the standard honda auto filter since first oil change. 73k miles now, no problems, still honda but half the price.

dont cheap out on the oil filter- honda filter is designed for your motorcycle engine not a car-pressure is different-- also the flowback valve and the oil holes and spacings are usually different-- also don't cheap out on your oil-- if there is a oil filter for a 1986 vfr 700 that is after market and meets specs from honda please post pics of camparisions; the oil filter i have from honda is twice the size of some of these other filters meaning it filtrates more oil-thank you-- gn4 belray maxima silkcolene no problems with any of these oils and on the wingstuff.com i found 4.99 gn4 10w40 -- free shipping !!! look for deals i got 15-50 maxima ultra triple ester synthetic for 9.95 a liter!!-- its 17 bucks without tax at the dealership folks--

• 8 months later...

I've used WIX filters for my cars, in conjunction with synthetic oils. My Saturn SC2 had 196K+ miles on it when I sold it, running like a champ. I was just researching WIX for bikes and found this, for the 51358 filter which cross references with the Mobil M1-110, so it's a little bigger.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51358

Part Number: 51358 UPC Number: 765809513587 Principle Application: Honda Motorcycles + Industrial Engines, I-R, Honda (87-12), Komatsu, Kubota, Kia (95-05), Mercury, Arctic Cat (06-12), Polaris, Yamaha, Infiniti-Nissan (96-14) Applications Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 2.782 Outer Diameter Top: 2.685 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed: Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20 Burst Pressure-PSI: 265 Max Flow Rate: 8-10 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233
Close Window

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

For 6th Gen, is PL14610 easy to put on? I mean, in terms of space and area?

Or PL14612 should be fine too? Not trying to start a debate, so only interested in PL, please :)

Both work on 5 and 6 Gens, I believe the PL14610 is the longer of the two so it gets real close to the radiator hose but still fits no problem.

• Member Contributer

I use the PL14610 as it has a larger filter capacity. Although it does get close to the radiator hose once installed, it does fit and so far I have had no issues. If using one of the end cap filter wrenches to install/remove, it does get a bit tight and takes some finesse to get things started or out all the way.

• 1 month later...

Go to Wal-Mart for your oil related needs. Oil is always about 30% cheaper, and purolator filters are $3. It's just the sad truth.

I always buy Oil from Walmart or unless it's on Special/Sale.

Are you talking about Purolator Classic or Pure one? I have never seen Pure one at Walmart, only Classic.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

For people who have Advance Auto Parts close to them, PL14610 can be had for less than $5.

Buy online using 30% off coupon and pick it up from the store. If anyone has any other cheaper suggestion, I am all ears.

God bless you faran!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Soupinmycoupe said:

I've been using OEM or K&N filters on ALL my bikes. Over 100k miles collectively. Rotella T6 on ALL my wet clutch bikes. And the TDi's. :)

I would avoid K&N, even though you've had good luck. Too many failures! Heck, one failed on a 6th gen here locally a week or so ago. 

I personally use OEM or Bosch 3300s

aVDnfwT.jpg

_soqIgV3_Qrx_LntuYjkky_W9e3oCAldE-ll2eSF

• Member Contributer

I personally think it has to due with the placement of the filter between the front header pipes, combined with K&N offshoring production and the quality dropping. Higher heat than most bikes + lower quality product = higher failure rate.

• Member Contributer
On November 9, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Soupinmycoupe said:

I've been using OEM or K&N filters on ALL my bikes. Over 100k miles collectively. Rotella T6 on ALL my wet clutch bikes. And the TDi's. :)

I don't get it.  People spend a bunch of buying a bike, oil, mods, and time riding it then cheap out on filters.  Anyone ever thought of just paying a few bucks for an OEM filter and forgetting about it?

• Like 1