Oil Fiter Options For The Honda.

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer
what generations does this list cover Kevin? I'm sure this covers 6th Gen bikes, what I really need to know is whether or not the same filter fits a 4th gen?

I'm using Mobil One M1-110 on my '95 VFR, so I assume the list is good for 4th gen. By the way, Honda oil filter wrench fits the Mobil One filter, don't know about the others.

• Member Contributer
what generations does this list cover Kevin? I'm sure this covers 6th Gen bikes, what I really need to know is whether or not the same filter fits a 4th gen? I bought a ST7317 the other day and need to know if I need to take it back for a 6607 or not.

Thats the filter I have been using on my 5th gen for the past 4 years.6607

Mike

• Forum CEO

I have been using my reusable scotts for a few years now myself, and I get a jug of oil at wally world - mobile one 10w40. My buddy Mark did a lot of research on viscosity ratings and such and he spends the 8 bucks a quart on mobile one mtx 4stroke motorcycle oil - me I think its wasting money however I change my oil every 3k unless I am on a 5k trip or somthing where changing oil is unfeasable.

gallery_491_2692_171840.jpg

gallery_491_2692_98579.jpg

gallery_491_2692_14318.jpg

• 9 months later...
Guest Badazzteacher
Every time this comes up in a post there seems to be great interest so I'll post and Pin this topic for future reference.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

I use the longer ones no problem once there screwed on, just a little more effort required getting past the rad hoses. I use the WalMart SuperTech ST7317 Made by Champion.

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3300, about $6.
    Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3323, about $6.
    Made By Champion.
  • WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
    about $2. Made by Champion.

Buy these filters

I was always just buying the Fram or the Pennzoil filter and occasionally the Honda one, but after reading that filter article, I may want to be more careful. I have never had any problems with any of the cheaper ones though.

QUESTION: Is this list of acceptable filters just for 6th gens or does it cover the 4th and 5th gens too?

• Member Contributer

In the engineering reviews the Purolator Pure-One did the highest filtration and had the least back pressure, plus has the best anti-bleed back check valve =Numero Uno. And the price is right. The long version is even better to reach.

I've been using the Bosch 3323, as it's much cheaper than the Honda filter (my local Honda shop is a major rapist on parts pricing) and I can get it without riding clear across town in major traffic to reach a Walmart, where some of the others are apparently available. Besides, I hate shopping at the 'mart.

Not sure how good the Bosch is, but I have had no issues when using it. 3-4k miles for oil changes on mine.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Should the Pure One be dropped from this list since Purolator recommends not to use them on your motorcycle?

My link

Edit: so I see the spec for the pressure relief valve on the filter is 17psi and the oil pressure on my VFR at 6k rpm is 71psi. The stated concern of Purolator seems like a non-issue to me.

Should the Pure One be dropped from this list since Purolator recommends not to use them on your motorcycle?

My link

Edit: so I see the spec for the pressure relief valve on the filter is 17psi and the oil pressure on my VFR at 6k rpm is 71psi. The stated concern of Purolator seems like a non-issue to me.

17 PSI DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE is when the relief valve opens.

That would be the DIFFERENCE in PRESSURE between the filter inlet and the filter outlet. Or to put it another way, the resistance to flow across the filter element.

You may have 71 PSI of oil pressure, but your brand new clean filter with fresh oil, all warmed up to operating temp may only be producing 1-2 PSI pressure drop across the filter???

So the purolator filter would open at 17 PSI DP, which would net your engine 71 - 17 = 54 PSI left.

• Member Contributer

A good place to research oil, filters and other motor fluid stuff is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Also, keep in mind that even though the oil filters have anti-drainback valves, they will drain back over time. With the larger filter, once it drains back, it will take longer to fill at start up. So... a little more element or oil pressure a little sooner? Humm.... On a small block Chevy where the filter is vertical and the oil can't drainback, bigger is better. On the VFR, it's not so cut and dry.

• Member Contributer

All you people shopping at WalMart seriously need to look into that company's policies - once you know what's really behind all those low low prices you might think twice before going into the bowels of evil again. Just sayin'...

As for filters I'm sticking with K&N as I've had excellent results since I bought the bike in 2000.

+1 I used to deal them on the wholesale level they are ruthless.

• Like 1

Guest silkysmooth

I went with the Mobil 1 M1-110 since it was on sale @ autozone 5qts full syn plus filter $27,and it will be used in the engine that will be swapped out of the blow one today.Wally word price would have been the same and like others I HATE buying anything there.

Edited by silkysmooth

• Member Contributer

It would be interesting to find out what the pressure relief valve is rated at on the OEM filter. Of the filters recommended in the posted link the Pure One has the lowest rating and according to Purolator it is still too high. Their MC specific one is rated at 9-12psi.

All you people shopping at WalMart seriously need to look into that company's policies - once you know what's really behind all those low low prices you might think twice before going into the bowels of evil again. Just sayin'...

As for filters I'm sticking with K&N as I've had excellent results since I bought the bike in 2000.

I always thought the internet was the bowels of evil.

• Member Contributer

I always thought the internet was the bowels of evil.

Alabama just made it legal to carry a concealed weapon on the internet.... :blink:

Why not just use a Honda oil filter? Yep, they cost a little more but Honda just MIGHT know what they're doing now and then.... :biggrin:

I use them and, for some reason, my Honda runs just fine. :pissed:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This guy who made that website that is linked on the OP did a great job. He seems to have done a good job researching the filters and tearing them apart.

I feel that the name "filter" isn't the correct word for what the oil "filter" does. It's more of a strainer than a filter. If it actually filtered the oil it would quickly plug up and then need to bypass 100% of the time in just a few thousand miles. ALL of the oil that the oil pump circulates through the engine to lubricate it goes through the "filter" for every circulation. Think of a hypothetical blood filter that is installed just beyond the human heart. How good could it be and not effect the circulation? If it was too good it would lower the circulation to such a degree that it would and starve the body of blood (and oxygen). Same for the oil filter in an automotive engine or motorcycle engine. What is important is not how good it really filters, but how well it stays together, doesn't plug up, and will be able to bypass in an emergency. If the oil filter fails and can't bypass it will destroy the engine due to oil starvation in short order.

The oil in the engine is in a well-sealed closed loop in a modern engine. It really shouldn't get "dirty" other than blowback through the combustion area of the engine throwing a bit of soot back into it past the rings. Look at a Diesel engine with super-high compression and how much soot it throws into the oil back through the rings (and turns it black in no time) but the oil still works and is clean "enough" to do its job. I'm not too worried about the cleanliness of my oil for the short time it is in there before it gets replaced with new & clean oil. Sure, there are a few tiny bits of metal that will break off here and there in the engine and get into the oil, as well as from the clutch. The filter will trap these rare larger bits with no problem. Then you change it every 5k or so and refresh the oil with good clean stuff.

When I put oil in at change time I'm very careful to clean the funnel I use and clean the oil cap area so that I'm not putting any extra dirt and grime into the engine with the new oil. I'm also careful to use a filter that I can trust not to fail and cause the oil not to be able to flow critical oil at sufficient pressure to the engine.

Dude at that website convinced me that the SuperTech ST7317 is the best filter at the price, and maybe one of the best filters period at any price for the VFR. It's too bad that the cheap WalMart option isn't the best for other bikes (and that the Suzukis don't have ANY good choices at all (even the OEM filter isn't recommended!).

I bought all the ST7317 filters I could get my hands on at the local WallyWorld and will be keeping my eye open for more. $2-ish is the price I found them at. It's nice to know they also fit on the Miata my GF drives. Love to be able to stock the same part for more than one vehicle, and paying $20 for enough filters to last a couple of years is a good thing!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Indeed the 7317 fit her like a glove, not bad for a $2 filter that's supposed to be high quality, I'm impressed.

Sweet, that's good to know. That's the same filter that I use on my 750 Vulcan. Gotta love easy shopping. (I know I quoted an old post, I'm just sayin... wink.gif )

A bunch of us have been using that filter on or Vulcans for a while without issue. I'm somewhat anal about my bikes and change the oil twice a year regardless (sometimes 3), and I live in MI where we don't get a full years worth of riding.

Guest tpierce(MP)

Does anyone have a part number for the official Honda oil filter?

15410-MFJ-D01

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but a Honda car filter (pretty much all Honda autos have used the same filter for 15+ years) will fit on a VFR just fine. It's a little big longer and wider, so it'll hold a fractional bit more oil, but they can also be found relatively cheap. Even from a dealer they are usually less than 1/2 the price of a Honda MC filter at a moto dealer.

Also, the big thing about the relief valve is that some bikes (Older Harleys, XR650Ls, etc) have roller bearings in the bottom end that require very little oil pressure. So when the bike makes very little oil pressure, the oil filter can become plugged and still not create enough oil pressure to open the valve. The VFR to my knowledge doesn't have a roller bottom.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest amason

I'm using Bosch 3323's, and have been for probably 10 years. Easy enough to find in Canada, for $6. Bike is 20 years old and has 105k kms on it, and doesn't seem to have any oil related problems.

Edit: forgot to mention that the same filters go on my 2005 LegacyGT, and a 2007 Impreza, so probably nearly all Subarus.

Also, I think I'm about to switch to Rotella T6, which will mean the same oil all around as well.

Andy

Edited by amason