Oil Fiter Options For The Honda.

Baileyrock

Every time this comes up in a post there seems to be great interest so I'll post and Pin this topic for future reference.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

I use the longer ones no problem once there screwed on, just a little more effort required getting past the rad hoses. I use the WalMart SuperTech ST7317 Made by Champion.

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3300, about $6.
    Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3323, about $6.
    Made By Champion.
  • WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
    about $2. Made by Champion.

Buy these filters

• Like 4

Nice work Bailey! :thumbsup:

The only thing I have to add is this: the longer 3.5" filters are a lot easier to install on the 6th gen if you've removed the evap canister.

• Member Contributer

It's funny you post this today, I went by my local Wal-mart yesterday with the intention of picking up there filter and all they had on the shelves were Fram filters! I don't know if this is just a Canadian Wal-Mart thing though.

• 3 months later...
Guest onedowneaster

Howdy Guys; Does anyone have any experience with the Scotts filter? Thats the one with the stainless steel screen in it. A concern that I have always had is with oil flow. As I see it, the better a filter filters

the worse it flows oil. Am I out to lunch on this and maybe read to much Scotts propaganda ,or does this make sense to you guys.

Guest BlueFireIce
Howdy Guys; Does anyone have any experience with the Scotts filter? Thats the one with the stainless steel screen in it. A concern that I have always had is with oil flow. As I see it, the better a filter filters

the worse it flows oil. Am I out to lunch on this and maybe read to much Scotts propaganda ,or does this make sense to you guys.

The filters listed (at least the mobile 1 and Purolator) use synthetic filter elements and flow more than enough. It's not going to starve the engine of oil if that is what you are thinking. However I do know many people who use the scotts and love them, I have used mesh filters before but only in drag cars where high flow is all you care about and oil is changed every track session.

All you people shopping at WalMart seriously need to look into that company's policies - once you know what's really behind all those low low prices you might think twice before going into the bowels of evil again. Just sayin'...

As for filters I'm sticking with K&N as I've had excellent results since I bought the bike in 2000.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm with MELVIS.

I don't shop WalMart either.

And K&N oil and air filters are in my cars and bikes... all the time. No problems.

Guest klinquist
As for filters I'm sticking with K&N as I've had excellent results since I bought the bike in 2000.

I'm not sure you can say that it's possible to have 'excellent results' with anything where working properly means you have no interaction with it.

I've been changing my oil with various filters in all my vehicles for over a dozen years and I've never had any interaction or "measurable results" outside of "I suppose it's working fine." smile.gif

Guest slowf2337

You can't clean that kind of filter in the field like they try to say you can. You can clean some dirt of the element, but a lot of the smaller stuff will not come out. For the $120 you can buy a lot of disposable filters. In my thinking if a disposable filter is good enough for a Honda car to go 200K+ miles, on a bike that will most likely only be ridden half that amount they are more then good enough.

Edited by slowf2337

Guest BlueFireIce
Lets Not get into politics here please! :cool:

It's an Oil Filter thread! :biggrin:

Really, bad enough as it is! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Lets Not get into politics here please! :fing02:

True that. That being said, WallyWorld Supertech ST6607 works for me.

Guest BlueFireIce
snip

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

snip

Does this mean all have been proven to have superior filtering compared to the stock Honda filter?

How is the superiority determined?

By SAE J1858 and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 4548-12: Methods of Test for Full-Flow Lubricating Oil Filters for Internal Combustion Engines - Part 12: Filtration Efficiency Using Particle Counting, and Contaminant Retention Capacity. The papers are available online. As the micron rating does not properly or fully describe either the efficiency or the contaminant holding capacity of the filter media.

Guest onedowneaster

Howdy Guys; To all that replied about the Scotts filter,thanks. And to all that replied not about the Scotts filter thank you also. I always feel good about my thread if it creates thought and possibly some controversy. When you get a group of individuals thinking and bantering you always learn something!

Have all the filters listed in the first post been proven to be superior to the stock Honda filter?

Read for yourself, this tester feels the Honda Filter isn't of the same quality as the recommended filters. :musik20:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

But just like oil to a certain level, anyone will work if you change it often enough or before it starts to loose it's ability to do what it's meant to do. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Lets Not get into politics here please! :musik20:

True that. That being said, WallyWorld Supertech ST6607 works for me.

The 6607 filter was rated the highest on the miata forum,and was confirmed along with tests that were way over my head,besides its the same filter for the vfr,miata.and RX8.After 8 yrs.of using them no issues.

Mike

I've been using the Fram PH6607 or Honda filters since I've had my '04. I change my oil and filter every 3k to 4k miles.

I've yet to have a problem, but I'll be changing to the Pure One or one of the Champion-made filters listed above. Thanks for the great info! :biggrin:

Guest slowf2337

An added postive thing about running a longer filter is the increased oil cooling capacity provided, more surface area=better cooling :fing02:

Edited by slowf2337

I've been using the Fram PH6607 or Honda filters since I've had my '04. I change my oil and filter every 3k to 4k miles.

I've yet to have a problem, but I'll be changing to the Pure One or one of the Champion-made filters listed above. Thanks for the great info! :beer:

Man, your lucky you bike hasn't burst into flames yet! :fing02:

All of these oils and filters will work and you VFR will still go 100k, but you might get 200k or more w/o issues using the better stuff! :fing02:

I've yet to have a problem, but I'll be changing to the Pure One or one of the Champion-made filters listed above. Thanks for the great info! :beer:

Man, your lucky you bike hasn't burst into flames yet! :fing02:

I'm lucky? Hey buddy, at least I've had my valves checked! :goofy:

:fing02: J/K as usual, BR!

Guest BlueFireIce
snip

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

snip

Does this mean all have been proven to have superior filtering compared to the stock Honda filter?

How is the superiority determined?

By SAE J1858 and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 4548-12: Methods of Test for Full-Flow Lubricating Oil Filters for Internal Combustion Engines - Part 12: Filtration Efficiency Using Particle Counting, and Contaminant Retention Capacity. The papers are available online. As the micron rating does not properly or fully describe either the efficiency or the contaminant holding capacity of the filter media.

Have all the filters listed in the first post been proven to be superior to the stock Honda filter?

Purolator: http://www.purolator-facet.com/pdfs/hpmedia.pdf

Mobil 1: "Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters contain synthetic fibers instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 99.2 percent efficiency rating (under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter. In addition, the synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 filter have less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine."

Sorry, I can't speak to the others. Never used or researched them.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

i use the scotts and it is the best choice for the vfr and it is re-usable and traps smaller particles better than any other filter on the market ,thus making it the best choice.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gap Trash

what generations does this list cover Kevin? I'm sure this covers 6th Gen bikes, what I really need to know is whether or not the same filter fits a 4th gen? I bought a ST7317 the other day and need to know if I need to take it back for a 6607 or not.