Oil Fiter Options For The Honda.

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer

You are correct on the situation Grum.  If you take say a Mobi1 or OEM and compare it to the latest Purolator or Bosch by looking at the end cap, you'll see the Purolator and Bosch are much shallower.  On the FJR, it does have a hex on the threaded adapter, the issue was solved by machining ~.060" off the face of the hex to allow the filter to screw on a bit further.... note, most cars likely don't need as much depth?  Dunno.  In any case, Vulgar didn't say what filter he had the leak with.....  but again, I'll check the depth on my engine when I change my filter.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, raYzerman said:

You are correct on the situation Grum.  If you take say a Mobi1 or OEM and compare it to the latest Purolator or Bosch by looking at the end cap, you'll see the Purolator and Bosch are much shallower.  On the FJR, it does have a hex on the threaded adapter, the issue was solved by machining ~.060" off the face of the hex to allow the filter to screw on a bit further.... note, most cars likely don't need as much depth?  Dunno.  In any case, Vulgar didn't say what filter he had the leak with.....  but again, I'll check the depth on my engine when I change my filter.

Hi raYzerman.

Vulgar1 mentioned he'd been using the K&N up until his terrible failure of that brand.

I don't know of anyone having used a recommended filter for the VFR ever having an issue like you encounterd with your FJR, this could well be due to the oil filter boss not having the hex per the FJR. So, the main message from this thread is there are numerous filter choices out there, just DON'T use the K&N with the spot weilded removal nut.

Cheers:beer:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi raYzerman.

Vulgar1 mentioned he'd been using the K&N up until his terrible failure of that brand.

I don't know of anyone having used a recommended filter for the VFR ever having an issue like you encounterd with your FJR, this could well be due to the oil filter boss not having the hex per the FJR. So, the main message from this thread is there are numerous filter choices out there, just DON'T use the K&N with the spot weilded removal nut.

Cheers:beer:

I agree 100%. Nothing but air filters from Mother Honda for me.

P.S. Hope your are all right, with first the flooding and then the fires. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

On the 5th gens, my R6 track bikes I primarily have been using Mobil 1 M1MC-134 for many years. I've also enjoyed the Bosch 3300 on the VFRs. They used to recommend the Mobil M1-108. Even my cars have similar filter recommended for them: Mobil M1-110 & Bosch 3310. I'm not sure if you can reach folks from where you are, but I've called and talked to the oil filter engineers more than once with detailed questions. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:12 AM, bmart said:

On the 5th gens, my R6 track bikes I primarily have been using Mobil 1 M1MC-134 for many years. I've also enjoyed the Bosch 3300 on the VFRs. They used to recommend the Mobil M1-108. Even my cars have similar filter recommended for them: Mobil M1-110 & Bosch 3310. I'm not sure if you can reach folks from where you are, but I've called and talked to the oil filter engineers more than once with detailed questions. 

The last few years I had my 6th gen. I favored the Mobil M1-108, but I also used the Bosch 3300 a few times.  Another cheaper but decent option for me was the Purolator PL14612.