Fenderectomy&plate tuck

Guest Red_Machine

Guest Red_Machine
Here's my version of a fenderectomy & plate tuck..I won't get into the removal of the rear fender it's so simple I think just about anyone can figure it out.As far as repositioning the light and plate it took a little time to figure a way that worked great for me. I removed the light & housing from the bracket, lined up the bolt holes to the outside of the plastic tray (underseat compartment) drilled two holes for the phillips type screws that used to bolt the light housing onto the light bracket.One extra hole (the size of a quarter) in the middle to allow the wire and round connecter on the backside of the light to fit through.I removed the front wheel reflectors and found the brackets could be bent to mount the plate.

Guest Red_Machine
I just lined up the light and using the same phillips type screw bolted it in place which was a little tricky becuase of space in the underseat area but got the threads started and just tightened it down.

Guest Red_Machine
Here are the front reflector brackets that I used... one is bent in position. They bolt up to the top bolts in the next photo you see hanging down from the underseat compartment where the tool bag is.

Guest Red_Machine
The brackets can be bolted to the bolts you see in this pic. that are hanging down. these have the correct spacing for a licsense plate or at least a florida plate. Finally the plate can be bolted to the brackets.

Chrome bolts wou  ld look sweet...what do you guys think?

The orange reflector bolts go with the Orange on the FL license plate.  :cool:

Looks like the 'ectomy and tuck surgery was a success.  :wheel:

Guest Red_Machine
Thanx beck, I've noticed today that it's gonna take a little extra cleaning in there after I drove through a puddle, can't wait to get a hugger. Seem's like everytime I do clean that area I get some wicked cuts from sharp parts especilly the chrome cover over the exhuast near right leg :doh: ...I use a dish scrubber now! :idea:

Thats not an orange, its a peach
 :doh:

And I thot Georgia was the peach state.

and Florida the one with the orange groves.  :wheel:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grandpoobahh

I just did this mod over the weekend and I wanted to point two things out for those considering the same thing.  

First, if you have a Dremel tool, it works great to cut the quarter-sized hole in the plastic for the light housing.  I got it just the right size, I am sure it's just about water proof.  Second, the only difficult thing about this install was trying to get the philips-head nuts on the light housing bolts after they were put through the plastic.  I futzed with it for 45 minutes before I went to the hardware store and got a universal joint for my small ratchet, attached a 1/4 inch socket to a 6 inch extension and placed a removable philips head (from an interchangeable Snap On screwdriver) into the socket.  I was able to get right on the philips head nut and place enough pressure on it to start the threads - done in 30 seconds!  

The mod looks great and my entire plate fits without cutting.   :laugh:

Guest Red_Machine
Lol...those phillip type bolts were a pain. I guess persistance pays off. :bow: Theres one other thing you my find out Grandpoobahh is the mess having no rear fender causes from puddles and rain:doh:  Hopefuly a rear hugger may help some.

Guest Grandpoobahh
Yeah!  I sort of expected that. . .good thing it doesn't rain too much out here this time of year.  I am planning on getting a hugger and hope I can beat the rainy season.

• 1 month later...
This is the one I've been looking for. But I still have one reservation. How much does the rear lens cover cost? I question the amount of protection offered to the lens by a hugger. It seems that debris will still pelt the lens, am I wrong? Can someone quell my fear please? I really want to be fenderless, I think it cleans up the bikes lines, but not at the expence of the lens.

i can tell you that the lens gets blasted pretty good. i rode an hour or so in the rain with no fender and the lens was covered in road dirt. i live in an area with very little rain but there are always puddles and wet spots from fools over watering the lawn and washing thier cages.

i havent done the original light pod relocate but i did put a single white led to light the plate. i bought this led at radio shack as simply a bulb and two leads.  i simply used 'hundred mile/hour tape' to hide it up under one of the recessed areas and bent the leads to aim at the plate. looks good i think. pure white light without being blue. although, the current registration sticker is blue. so is the year sicker. looks like i have a blue led so i hope i dont get pulled over for having emergency colors.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bikoman
I did this mod last night, great mod for $0.00.  The hardest part was starting the phillips head screws, make sure your holes are bigger than you think they should be and use a small dab of rtv on the screw head with your stubby phillips srewdriver, done.  Looks great and everything fits properly, now on to the hugger... :goof:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
Just a note for those considering this mod - I installed a competion werkes fender eliminator last summer and un-installed it this winter.  Yes, it cleaned up the lines significantly... but it turns out that riding over anything moderately rough (railroad track, driveway apron) with a passenger causes the dreaded license plate taco :doh: .  I straightened it out a few times and then, after finding out that the soon to be installed OEM bags required the stock fender, simply gave up and removed the #$%#$ thing and reinstalled the stock fender. The mod explained in this post may use a different mounting point (more towards the tail) and perhaps the same issue won't occur ??? .

I have been considering a fenderectomy since I bought my bike a year ago. ?I finally tore the mud flap apart last night to get some perspective on what?s involved. ?I thought at first I could just take the large plastic fender out and leave the steel bracket to suspend the light and plate. ?Doing this though leaves a large gap between the mufflers that the plastic cleaned up nicely. ?

I didn?t want to go with the mod in this post because I don?t really want to be drilling into the bike or cutting the license plate to fit. ?

I?m thinking about just cutting the bottom of the mud flap off, right at the bottom of the license plate. ?This would keep the area between the mufflers clean and offer some mud protection (I don?t want to spend $200 for a hugger).

Has anyone tried this mod?

Guest westbrookhvac
Thats not an orange, its a peach
?:doh:

And I thot Georgia was the peach state.

and Florida the one with the orange groves. ?:laugh:

everyone knows floridians can't count guess they don't know their fruit either......lol