Bank Angle Sensor Question-- Pics Added

VolatileVFR

• Member Contributer
Yeeeehaw.. ok ok.. so the fuel pump has primed.. but how???

No clicking of any engine stop relay....

That's weird. The relay should click in order for the pump to work... unless its contacts are weld shut from heavy arcing.

You have bypassed the sensor (terminals 1 and 3), not the relay itself, right? Does the pump stop when you turn the engine stop switch off?

Looks like a winner to me.... Wish I could test the ACTUAL BAS just to appease my curiousity....

You can.

Keep the BAS upright.

Connect ground to terminal 1.

Connect +12 volts to terminal 2.

Connect a _small_ 12V lightbulb (like a dashboard bulb, nothing bigger than that) between 2 and 3. The bulb should light up.

Tip over the BAS. The bulb should go dark.

And I personally would not have any problem leaving the BAS bypassed until I get a new one. But that's your call.

But before you order a new one, check the 10A sub fuse again. You should read 12 volts between BAS terminals 1 and 2.

• Member Contributer
That's weird. The relay should click in order for the pump to work... unless its contacts are weld shut from heavy arcing.

You have bypassed the sensor (terminals 1 and 3), not the relay itself, right? Does the pump stop when you turn the engine stop switch off?

No no no... I was referring to the earlier two step process of testing the relay or the BAS....

1. plug in the relay with the ignition on.. does it click/

Nope.... no clicky.... That is what I meant...

Of course when the BAS terminals were shorted, it definitely clicked...

Heading your way via PM SEB... :salesman:

Then, out to test out the BAS...just for confidence...

• Member Contributer
--Manual says within the three post connector leading to the bank angle sensor (BAS), you have one ground, a positive coming from the ignition switch from the (+) battery via fuses, and the third post leading to the engine stop relay that will power the coil which will in turn power the relay switch, and provide power for the fuel pump.

-- MANUAL: ground ---> positive = Normal BAtt. voltage

ground ---> 3rd post engine stop relay= 0-1 V Both of these WITH ignition ON.

Therefore, I assume since the third post of the connector is NOT norm voltage, the engine stop relay MUST be normally closed so the fuel pump can receive current.. Right?!?! Well, testing showed opposite:

It looks like the BAS doesn't provide coil voltage to the engine stop relay, but rather it provides a path to ground for the coil voltage. Your engine stop relay is normally open. It receives its coil voltage from the engine stop switch. If there is no path, through the coil, to ground (via the third leg of the BAS), the engine stop relay won't energize and its contacts remain open. If I understand your post, you measured full battery voltage at wire #3 on the BAS. That means either the sensor has caused that line to go high, eliminating your relay ground, or the sensor is open and you're measuring the engine stop relay coil voltage floating high on the BAS. I don't really know how the BAS works.

Anyhow, you've pretty much already narrowed it down to the BAS.

Archived