03 Vfr Exhaust... Leo Vince Or Staintune?

Mitch

I have done research through the forums on vfrd and also around the web. I am a college student and I am looking to put some new exhaust pipes on my VFR. I just cant decided whether to go with the Leo Vince or the Staintune. I want it to have a great sound, but I am not sure I can afford the Staintune pipes. So is it worth to wait and get the Staintunes or are the Leo Vince with the baffle removed enough growl to make a scene? ^_^ Thanks

and p.s. are the baffles on the LV pipes hard to remove and how much louder are they with them removed?

• Member Contributer

You could always buy my remus titaniums I am selling :idea3:

They have a nice grunt and look sharp as well :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Any aftermarket slip on you install on the VFR is going to sound great......it's the nature of the V-4 motor. Each will have it'w own, slightly unique tone.

Staintunes are top notch in construction and appearance, and never need repacking. They are worth the extra money. But thati s not to say the other options are not also good choices.

• Member Contributer
I forgot to mention I have already drilled the stock exhaust and I am looking for more!!

LOL. Do a full gut. You'll never have to re-pack squat. LOL. Your in college. I'm sure you have a welding bud. Or a shop on campus.

• Member Contributer
I have done research through the forums on vfrd and also around the web. I am a college student and I am looking to put some new exhaust pipes on my VFR. I just cant decided whether to go with the Leo Vince or the Staintune. I want it to have a great sound, but I am not sure I can afford the Staintune pipes. So is it worth to wait and get the Staintunes or are the Leo Vince with the baffle removed enough growl to make a scene? ^_^ Thanks

This is a question I've been dealing with for quite a long while.I first said Staintunes.Then I looked at Devil Exhaust from France(Don't bother as they do not have US distribution and I found out today they are pretty much crap)

Now,I looked at Leo Vince and asked several folks about them. I listened to several sound bits on this site and You Tube.

I have to admit they sound very good and for the $$$$ they can't be beat.

If you are interested in a good deal call Mike at Sportbike Track Gear 1-888-784-4327.

PS... I ordered my Leo Vince today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention I have already drilled the stock exhaust and I am looking for more!!

Have you looked at Two Bros V.A.L.E pipes? They sound great, the price isn't bad, claim to add 4+ hp, and they fit the bike with bags and do not extend beyond the tail. Good pipes for the price. Just my two cents.

• Member Contributer

I looked at Two Brothers and a friend of mine w/a VFR has them on his bike ,but they aren't dual exhaust. Only one side is the exhaust . If not for that I would have looked a lot stronger at them..

And that is all I'm going to say about that!

I too went through what you are going through now. But after finding out the price of the Staintunes (now about $1,000.00), Iopted for the carbon LEOs. I like these very much. I dont think you will go wrong with either one. Heres a look at mine (not the best picture of the mufflers, but you get the idea):

gallery_10323_2816_444875.jpg

• Member Contributer

Don't forget about what they're going to look like on your bike. Staintunes are aluminum and therefore look chrome-like. The two other commonly used materials used in making exhaust cans are carbon fiber and titanium. Carbon fiber is black while titanium is like a light gray. Generally speaking, carbon fiber and titanium cans cost about the same while aluminum cans are less expensive. Just something to think about.

• Member Contributer
You could always buy my remus titaniums I am selling :goofy:

They have a nice grunt and look sharp as well :thumbsup:

If I were you, I'd be all over these. I have the Remus Ti and they are the shiz-nit :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Don't forget about what they're going to look like on your bike. Staintunes are aluminum and therefore look chrome-like. The two other commonly used materials used in making exhaust cans are carbon fiber and titanium. Carbon fiber is black while titanium is like a light gray. Generally speaking, carbon fiber and titanium cans cost about the same while aluminum cans are less expensive. Just something to think about.

One vote for Remus CF - work with Honda hard bags too:

gallery_130_2516_72443.jpg

Remus

gallery_130_2516_78747.jpg

Remus with bags

and p.s. are the baffles on the LV pipes hard to remove and how much louder are they with them removed?

Well, my LV pipes didn't come with baffles, so I can't say.

But, my friend got some LV pipes for his FZ6 and the baffles were pretty easy to remove. Without the baffles, his bike was extremely loud (or at least I thought it was). He eventually put the baffles back in and it really made it quieter. His bike still has a nice growl though, even though it is a stinky inline.

So based on that, I'd say the LV pipes with the baffles in are probably pretty quiet.

The baffles in the Leo Vince pipes have one retention screw with an anti-removal feature (tapered slot) that require a pair of Vice Grips to undo. Once out you need some needle-nose pliers to pull like hell on the baffles as they are held in place further up the pipe by four small bumps in the throat of the exhaust which provide a tight press-fit. They will come out, but some have had to really pull like you were removing a healthy tooth from a young hippo. They sound much better, though by no means obnoxious, with the baffles out.

gallery_3326_2605_235318.jpg

VFR - LV - Side Med.jpg

gallery_3326_2605_813735.jpg

VFR - LV - Rear.jpg

• Member Contributer

Staintunes are made from stainless steel.

And polished to a chrome-like finish. :goofy: For me the choice was also between the 'Tunes and the Leo Vinces, I love the sound of both, and if given the opportunity, would probably trade my 'tunes for the LV Carbons. Anybody wanna trade? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

yes, you're right. my mistake.

The baffles in the Leo Vince pipes have one retention screw with an anti-removal feature (tapered slot) that require a pair of Vice Grips to undo. Once out you need some needle-nose pliers to pull like hell on the baffles as they are held in place further up the pipe by four small bumps in the throat of the exhaust which provide a tight press-fit. They will come out, but some have had to really pull like you were removing a healthy tooth from a young hippo. They sound much better, though by no means obnoxious, with the baffles out.

For removing stubborn baffles, the easiest way is to stick a broom handle into the muffler from the rear (before installation) then tap the other end of the handle on the floor. The impact will dislodge the baffle after a couple of raps depending on how stuck they are, with no unsightly damage so you can install them again if its too loud for you.

• Member Contributer

I'd never buy the Tunes myself. I bought the Leo's because I couldn't get the Remus in Canada (unlike Thumper who had a connection). Baffles, yep easy to remove on mine, but some guys had quite a fight.

I'll try to fish out my sound files of the Leo's with and without baffles.

Nope, can't find it. Looks like I deleted the files before I installed Time Machine.

Here's a picture instead.

med_gallery_4229_2149_1069835.jpg

• Member Contributer
Looks like I am going to go for the LV pipes! Now i just need to decide CF or Ti!

Shoot for the Ti. C.F. is nice, but doesn't give the same harmonic.

• Member Contributer
Looks like I am going to go for the LV pipes! Now i just need to decide CF or Ti!

Most of it is taste, but here are the facts:

CF: lighter, but could shatter upon high impact. Mind you, the pipes will probably be the least of your worries should that happen.

Ti: a bit heavier.

NOTE: only the can part is Ti. The pipes are SS.

I have the Ti, but I wish I had the CF for the weight.

Archived