Unchain My Bike... Or So I Thought...

BusyLittleShop

Looks really sano Larry! :laugh: Maybe if we did a group VFRD meditation and all visualized the right belt your dream will become reality... just thinking :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Looking very AWESOME!

I ordered some new belts for a old horizonal mill the other day. i'll ask the UK suppler if they can get " 11 pitch belt manufacture in Gates Japan rumored to be 160T"

Red

• Member Contributer
Looking very AWESOME!

I ordered some new belts for a old horizonal mill the other day. i'll ask the UK suppler if they can get " 11 pitch belt manufacture in Gates Japan rumored to be 160T"

Red

Thanks... Any help is appreciated...

• Member Contributer
Looks so close Larry. Have you done the calcs on the 5th or 6th gen to see if it's possible with off the shelf parts?

No clacs but stop on by someday I'll do a quick modeling clay test on your VFR...

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm installing my HRC swingarm and in the process I had this chance to mock up my belt drive

conversion... biggest hurdle is still a 11mm pitch belt with the correct number of teeth... so it's not

ready yet... but all I can say is I'm shall never rest until it is done... right now just enjoy the

possiblities...

Awesome work.

Some thoughts. If the belt doesnt have the correct number of teeth, then I would assume it would be slack....so why not just get a tensioner like the buell's? I appear to see tons of space above the swing arm where it could be located, if below is not an option.

All the best

I'm installing my HRC swingarm and in the process I had this chance to mock up my belt drive

conversion... biggest hurdle is still a 11mm pitch belt with the correct number of teeth... so it's not

ready yet... but all I can say is I'm shall never rest until it is done... right now just enjoy the

possiblities...

Awesome work.

Some thoughts. If the belt doesnt have the correct number of teeth, then I would assume it would be slack....so why not just get a tensioner like the buell's? I appear to see tons of space above the swing arm where it could be located, if below is not an option.

All the best

Sounds like a good idea, but I think it should be placed on the bottom so the motor would pull the rear sprocket from a straight line, and let the tensioner work with the return(bottom train) ?

Also won't one of these belt companies make a custom belt......R&D $$$ ????? It might motivate one of them if they thought there were a group of VFR owners that might want to mod their chains, to belts with a pully & belt kit. :idea3:

Also won't one of these belt companies make a custom belt......R&D $$$ ????? It might motivate one of them if they thought there were a group of VFR owners that might want to mod their chains, to belts with a pully & belt kit.

He covered that in the first post.......

Gates Rubber wants $65K for the mold of a custom 166T 11mm pitch belt...

That would be one impressive group buy.

• Member Contributer

Oh crap, what have I revived.............................. :comp13:

Nothing but the fact that this thread is on auto pilot and the captain has retired to the bar for a drink...

• Member Contributer

I think I may have stumbled on a solution to the 65k Gates wants for a custom mold. You need to think globally here. Produce all the engineer drawings needed for machining the parts. include the design for molded polycarbonate 166t belt. Slap some fake U.S. Paten numbers on them and leak them to the Chinese. Then you just purchase the whole kit on E-bay in a few months for $200 ready to fit your bike. :)

• Member Contributer

I think I may have stumbled on a solution to the 65k Gates wants for a custom mold. You need to think globally here. Produce all the engineer drawings needed for machining the parts. include the design for molded polycarbonate 166t belt. Slap some fake U.S. Paten numbers on them and leak them to the Chinese. Then you just purchase the whole kit on E-bay in a few months for $200 ready to fit your bike. :)

I like the way you stumble... I have to admit I never thought of that... but Gates employs a full time Chinese hit squad...

• Member Contributer

sheesh.. all this crap about room for a tensioner.. mount it directly to the swing arm top or bottom ... a small flat roller.. spring loaded or adjusted like a sportster primary

• Member Contributer

That, sir, is ingenious... And very plausible.

• Member Contributer

That, sir, is ingenious... And very plausible.

And just as likely to fall apart and leave you stranded some where with lead poisoning. :goofy:

I would rather buy a BLS made in the USA product designed for my VFR than a cheap China product any day of the week. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

sheesh.. all this crap about room for a tensioner.. mount it directly to the swing arm top or bottom ... a small flat roller.. spring loaded or adjusted like a sportster primary

So with the added weight and bulk from a tensioner and a big ugly shroud around the belt to keep debris out

who is going to put a massive tensioner on it?? and why a shroud?? only a goober would do that.

if i added my design i bet it would weigh less than .75 lbs

So with the added weight and bulk from a tensioner and a big ugly shroud around the belt to keep debris out

who is going to put a massive tensioner on it?? and why a shroud?? only a goober would do that.

if i added my design i bet it would weigh less than .75 lbs

Don't ask me, ask guys on the Buell forums how they like it when a little pebble gets munched by their belt drive.

• Member Contributer

who is going to put a massive tensioner on it?? and why a shroud?? only a goober would do what.

Don't ask me, ask guys on the Buell forums how they like it when a little pebble gets munched by their belt drive.

thats because they are goobers who dont pay attention to their bikes. i custom build HDs and they rarely get that problem

• Member Contributer

who is going to put a massive tensioner on it?? and why a shroud?? only a goober would do what.

thats because they are goobers who dont pay attention to their bikes. i custom build HDs and they rarely get that problem

My blast has been unshrouded for the past 8k miles, haven't had any debris problems yet (knock on wood). How much I "pay attention" to my bike or not really won't have any bearing on whether or not a car in front of me kicks up a pebble that finds its way between my pulley and belt, however. Maybe I'm not following what you mean?

• Member Contributer

My blast has been unshrouded for the past 8k miles, haven't had any debris problems yet (knock on wood). How much I "pay attention" to my bike or not really won't have any bearing on whether or not a car in front of me kicks up a pebble that finds its way between my pulley and belt, however. Maybe I'm not following what you mean?

do you CLEAN you bike? do you pay look at every week or so to make sure stuff is falling apart? do you stop check things when something "FEELS OFF" ??? or just keep riding till things break? lots of people do so..which is how we get salvage yard

I bet they rarely get ridden. :goofy: