My 1983 Vf750f Restoration Project, Lotsa Big Pics!

SEBSPEED

Having the oil hole is no guarantee of cam survival - I have cams with oil holes and at 70K Kms and two of the eight have pitting on them - no oil mod installed until last season. An oil mod is cheap insurance IMHO - from what I've read the oil mod completely cured the cam wear problem not just delayed it.

• Member Contributer
Having the oil hole is no guarantee of cam survival - I have cams with oil holes and at 70K Kms and two of the eight have pitting on them - no oil mod installed until last season. An oil mod is cheap insurance IMHO - from what I've read the oil mod completely cured the cam wear problem not just delayed it.

You are right, I have one cam lobe with some small pitting (I have cam's with oil holes and no oil mod). I em now installing a oil mod.

gallery_8868_4449_287047.jpg

Remove heads 1 020.JPG

ps: don't drill the hole as I have done, off set it closer to the inside (closer to the center of the engine. Gives you more room away from the frame).

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I knew I was going to make my life harder by trading away my '85 700F before I finished this bike, but I'm only realizing now how much I screwed myself.

It seems like every day this week I'm looking for one little screw, one nice bracket, or a pair of water hose P-clips. I walk circles around the shop looking for something to use, or to find where I put something that I forgot to bag and label. Only to find myself unable to complete another small task that puts me farther behind & puts off the day I get to start this puppy and take her down the road.

All things that could have been pulled from a parts bike in minutes.

Note to self - follow your gut next time & don't be a moron when taking things apart - you KNOW you won't find them later!!!

The cursed pain of OCD... only relieved by the completion of the task...

Here's a few things I did manage to do...

Wiring harness re-wrap & upgrade is underway:

PICT1945.jpg

Cleaned up the airbox & installed the K&N air filter.

Before:

PICT1946.jpg

After:

PICT1952.jpg

PICT1953.jpg

I wasn't quite happy with the pitted chrome on the diaphragm tops on the carbs, so I removed them, wire wheeled them, and painted them ultra flat black(you're welcome Timmy!)

Before:

PICT1954.jpg

During:

PICT1957.jpg

PICT1958.jpg

After:

PICT1959.jpg

PICT1960.jpg

Also started the Accel coil install. I don't want to use the universal setup that Accel provides, looks kinda hack. The stock brackets won't work on their own, so I had to make my own brackets from aluminum stock. I'll get some pics up of those soon.

PICT1961.jpg

I need some hardware to put this carb/airbox assembly together, if anyone has spare fasteners please let me know!

I need 1 airbox top screw, all 5 screws that hold the airbox to the plenum, and 1 coil bracket mount screw.

Thanks!

I'm thinking I'll eliminate the crankcase breather bottle & hose, and stick a little automotive breather on there instead. Like one of these little guys:

eaab_900px.jpg

Also thinking of replacing the stock coolant overflow with something else - but what? Would like something smaller anyway, and I'm not sold on strapping a bottle to the frame the way HRC did.

Also started the Accel coil install. I don't want to use the universal setup that Accel provides, looks kinda hack. The stock brackets won't work on their own, so I had to make my own brackets from aluminum stock. I'll get some pics up of those soon.

I'm curious now.. take some pics of what you come up w/ for the coil mounting... yes, the Accel setup is hack. smile.gif

Here you go Burnsie - forgot I took these!

Still need to add a little clearance for the rivets:

4-21-09001.jpg

4-21-09002.jpg

4-21-09004.jpg

New sprockets came in!

Front 520 16T (meant for CBR900RR) is installed:

4-29-09003.jpg

Paint is drying on the rear 44T CBR600F2 sprocket(and also on the lower rad):

4-29-09001.jpg

Both sprockets are made by Parts Unlimited and are steel.

I'll be installing this gold RK 520XSO chain tomorrow:

4-29-09002.jpg

With any luck, I'll find the bolts I need to install the reg/rec tray and the fuel pump I just cleaned up:

4-29-09005.jpg

Hopefully more to report tomorrow!

Got the wires yesterday, and the local Honda place had (4) of the NGK straight caps in stock(gasp!!) and they almost matched the online price I gave them(gasp!!).

Also got the rear wheel assembled, punch marked my aluminum spacers for future reference, and got the chain almost on. Right now it's just draped on, the chain was a bit too short to begin with(I bought it for my F4i a while ago), but a member here sent me a leftover piece of the exact same chain last year to make up the difference. I have 2 master links so I can splice the short and long lengths together, will try and get that done tonight, and get some pics!

I'm also going to try to get the coil brackets finished up so I can mount the coils, mount the carbs in the bike, get the airbox in, etc.

I'm getting closer!! :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
Just finished up the Accel coil brackets... I think I might paint them and then install the carbs in the bike! I'll have to double check the float heights first... pics hopefully sooner than later!

Hey, just ran across this thread and I've only got one thing to say......

YOU S.O.B!

Have you been peeking in my shop?!? :laugh:

n_a.jpg

n_b.jpg

Now I have to tear it all apart again and take the build to the next level! I even have been fitting vf1000f side covers before final paint. Now I run across your thread where you're doing it too! :fing02:

I'm just joking with your of course. You've done some really nice work there. I particularly like the carb rework. Black diaphragm covers are especially nice.

I've been working on my 750 for the better part of 10 years now. I spend most of my time on the Yahoo "interceptors" list. Seems I need to Google a bit more when there's good stuff like this "out and about".

Here's a little "rundown" on my old girl if you're interested;

-1985 vf750f (Canadian model)

-29,000 kms. I found it low mileage many moons back. Bought it because I had a new one in high school (first year, 1983) and have been tinkering with it ever since.

-CBR600F2 front and rear wheels. I stripped them down and painted/polished them to look like the original VF750F wheels. Machined my own spacers, speedo gear and rear drive hub.

-Rear CBRF2 brakes

-front F2 brake rotors

-Stainless steel lines, front and rear

-tossed in a lower temp fan switch (from a Honda Accord IIRC)

-homemade fender eliminator. I kept the rear frame rails and stock indicators for the original look. I also use the rails to assist me when "pedaling" the bike backwards (one arm behind and pulling up on the tail makes it easier)

-powder coated frame in original silver (done a full frame off also, just the plastic is waiting for paint)

-VF1000f front forks (I welded up the air balance holes also). 41mm tubes vice the stock vf750f 38mm.

-CBR600F2 rear shock (resprung, revalved). Machined my own adapters for the lower mount.

-Rebuilt stock exhaust with NOS cans from Honda. That was pretty expensive but worth it for the stock appearance...

- center stand is gone. It doesn't reach the ground any more anyways because of the change in suspension heights....

Plans in the shop;

- Hindle 4 into 1 that's currently undergoing R&R, or I may use it as a template. It's pretty beat up...

- Aluminum can for the Hindle. Currently sitting on the shelf.

-VF1000F side covers (you bastard!)

- Body work repaint. I have a complete set of NOS Honda stripes and stickers that are going on her when ready. I've got a very good parts guy who hunted them all down for me smile.gif. I'm toying with the idea of painting the plastics Corvette "atomic orange", bu tit will be done on separate plastics so I can pop the red/white/blue (classic interceptor) back on when I want.

- plan on installing the gold emulators in the VF1000f forks as you did, but time and money is making that a little difficult right now...

-VF1000R oil pump for the increased pressure/flow. It's reputed to be an 18% increase over the stock VF750F unit. I've always had a bit of "trepidation" about tapping the main gallery and pulling off pressure from the mains with the oil modification kits available.This seems a better option to me...

-I have a 2005 CBR600RR shock on the way. Going to see if it can be made to work...

Again, nice work and can't wait to see it "roll out" of the shop.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who truly appreciates the virtues and styling of the original "Vunderbike"....

Edited by greatwhite

Thanks for the comments greatwhite, and welcome again! :biggrin:

And here I thought I was the first to try using the 1000F side panels... dammitol! :goofy:

What's your location?

Well, that's a bit hard to understand unless you know what being in the military means.

The bike is in Nova Scotia right now, but I'm in British Columbia.

The bike and the "Fam" will be joining me out here in the fall...

Like you, I'm not a huge fan of the open "triangle" either. Always seemed kind of unfinished. Some say it was for cooling reasons, but I think it was a styling choice to show off the rear cylinders of the "New For 83" V4 engine.

I found the vf1000f side covers to actually be too long and I had to cut them down. The rear profile doesn't seem to line up perfectly with the 750 duck tail so a little rework is in order for mine. After that it will be fabbing up some "push tabs" for the 750 side cover rubber mounts.

I've also got an 86 vfr750 tank I'm thinking about using (ala Tom's mutant 1000r) but then the vf1000f side covers won't match up....

Hmmm, what to do?

What to do.....

Sounds like you've got some time to think about your choices... it's too bad that you're away from your bike during the short Canadian riding season!

In the meantime, here's some pics of work I've done lately:

Finished the brackets for the Accel coils:

tmac09rrwheel001.jpg

And painted them - I did them in flat black like the diaphragm tops, but I'm not sold on it and may add a new coat of gloss black instead of leaving them..

tmac09rrwheel002.jpg

Almost got the new 520 chain installed. I had a 110 link chain from a previous project, but need a 112 for this bike. Someone from the board sent me 6 links of the exact same chain that they had left over, so with two master links and one link of the gift, I can make a good 112 link chain. Problem is, I have one gold rivet-type master, and one silver clip-type master. I don't mind the silver link, but I refuse to use a clip link!!

tmac09rrwheel003.jpg

I'm not sure I like the black sprocket either. I can't imagine cleaning a white one though... God help me!

Lower rad is installed, I need a couple grommets and spacers for the top rad mount so I can get that one in there too. I remember that the two originals were rotted and I had thrown them away, let's hope Honda hasn't discontinued them...

tmac09rrwheel006.jpg

Oil mod is complete!

tmac09rrwheel007.jpg

tmac09rrwheel009.jpg

tmac09rrwheel010.jpg

tmac09rrwheel011.jpg

I don't think I posted the battery box all finished up:

tmac09rrwheel013.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking of for the brake torque arm - minus the socket, of course:

tmac09rrwheel014.jpg

I'm also thinking of making a new torque arm so I can integrate it, and keep it from looking like a botch job.

And speaking of botch jobs, anyone think I should leave the "Red Bull mod" on the bike when it's done? :fing02:

tmac09rrwheel016.jpg

Oh and, the float heights are set, carbs are ready to in once I figure out what to do with the brackets.

Also, the clamps on the (new) carb insulators are taken from two different sets of F4i throttle bodies that I had out in the shed. they look mo' betta than the original ones, and have hex heads + the Phillips head, so, no more stripping the clamps! Yay!

• Member Contributer

OCD you say...your right coil looks crooked. :fing02:

Ditch the red bull can and get a nos can.(Dont forget to pour the drink in your tank first so it runs good!) :blush:

gallery_15942_4356_566.jpg

nos for da horsepowaz!.jpg

Bike is looking fantastic...so how much you want for it when your done?

OCD you say...your right coil looks crooked. :fing02:

Ditch the red bull can and get a nos can.(Dont forget to pour the drink in your tank first so it runs good!) :beer:

gallery_15942_4356_566.jpg

nos for da horsepowaz!.jpg

Bike is looking fantastic...so how much you want for it when your done?

They're both a little crooked, there is a second set in the works, but these are staying in to get it running! :blush:

Make me an offer! :beer:

Oil mod is complete!

tmac09rrwheel009.jpg

I think the colored anodized Earl's type fittings & brackets take away from how great everything else looks on the more stock based look! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Just finished up the Accel coil brackets... I think I might paint them and then install the carbs in the bike! I'll have to double check the float heights first... pics hopefully sooner than later!

Were you sure to get the right coils? You should have Accel part number 140403, it's the opposite of what you think it would be. Your bike has CDI ignition but if you use the CDI Accel coils you will see flames come out of the spark boxes - seriously.

Were you sure to get the right coils? You should have Accel part number 140403, it's the opposite of what you think it would be. Your bike has CDI ignition but if you use the CDI Accel coils you will see flames come out of the spark boxes - seriously.

Yup - see the pics in this post on the previous page: link

These are the 3.0 ohm resistance coils. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

In order to put the carbs in, I had to first get the throttle cables and wiring harness in place. I ran into more small parts that I need, like starter relay, fan relay, some clips, some rubber mounts, etc.

Here's some new pics. Harness was stripped of all the old gooey tape and re-wrapped with new 3M vinyl electrical tape. All connectors were cleaned and filled with dielectric grease.

VFwiring001.jpg

VFwiring002.jpg

VFwiring003.jpg

VFwiring014.jpg

VFwiring011.jpg

VFwiring013.jpg

Repainted thermostat housing w/ new t-stat installed:

VFwiring015.jpg

Next thing I'm working on is integrating the new switch housings. I'm using a 1998 VFR800 left switch, and a CBR1000RR slim start/stop switch on the right. only issue I see so far, is that on the VF, the headlight connector is integrated in the VF left switch pod, while the VFR has plugs that connect to a headlight subharness. The VFR subharness includes the headlight and signal relays, while the VF headlight relay is on the left rear side of the bike.

VF switch end:

VFwiring007.jpg

VFR switch end:

VFwiring008.jpg

The funny part is, that I cracked open the switch pods, and all the wiring inside is the same. Same colors & all. I will verify against both wiring diagrams, but I'm hoping to just de-solder both sets of wiring from the switches, and transfer the VF wiring over to the VFR switch pod. Do you guys think that will work?

VF:

VFwiring009.jpg

VFR:

VFwiring010.jpg

Ok, left side pod is done, reassembled and all. The 1000RR start/kill switch(same as 900RR) looked daunting at first, but is actually going to be easier. I was thrown at first by the extra wire in the VF start button, but now that I have the differences in the switch figured out, it's going to be easy. All I have to do is cut the harness plug off the 1000RR switch, add 9" of wire(stolen from a rashed up CBR switch, which all the same color wires!), and then reinsert the pins into the proper slots in the VF plug.

I'm proud of myself for getting over that hump! No really, I'm pretty damn pleased! Just one more hurdle - the fuse box. I'm wiring in an F4i unit, and it also has to find a new home behind the front fairing.

I'm going to test the newly configured switches at motorhead's house on Sunday... cross your fingers for me!

I have new pics, of course, and they will be up tomorrow. :biggrin:

Dambit seb!

I was just waiting to wire up my SP2 ign switch!

switch-web.jpg

It's like you're reading my mind with this build.......but you're getting there first!

Next thing you know, you'll be swapping on SP2 front and rear brakes, a hindle 4 into 1 pipe, aluminum can, CBR600RR shock and swingarm like my plan!

At least I powder coated my frame silver and not black, so it won't look like I'm totally copying you or something. I'm also sourcing a complete extra set of bodywork and painting it GM atomic orange. Somehting like this:

DSCN3023copy.jpg

(not mine, edited a pic I found on the web)

Please tell me you not planning to paint it atomic orange....I don't think I could take that....

This is, of course, all in good fun my friend! tongue.gif

What are you using for a throttle?

I'm looking at using the SP2 unit as it's a push pull like the VF's. It looks like the VF cables will thread into the housing, but I have to get one in my greedy little hands to know for sure...

Edited by greatwhite

• Member Contributer

Ok, left side pod is done, reassembled and all. The 1000RR start/kill switch(same as 900RR) looked daunting at first, but is actually going to be easier. I was thrown at first by the extra wire in the VF start button, but now that I have the differences in the switch figured out, it's going to be easy. All I have to do is cut the harness plug off the 1000RR switch, add 9" of wire(stolen from a rashed up CBR switch, which all the same color wires!), and then reinsert the pins into the proper slots in the VF plug.

I'm proud of myself for getting over that hump! No really, I'm pretty damn pleased! Just one more hurdle - the fuse box. I'm wiring in an F4i unit, and it also has to find a new home behind the front fairing.

I'm going to test the newly configured switches at motorhead's house on Sunday... cross your fingers for me!

I have new pics, of course, and they will be up tomorrow. :biggrin:

Looking good so far, Bailey is right, looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

I've got a Dan Kyle 1/6 turn throttle originally for a RC51, I think it would mate up to the 600 switch gear? If you want it PM me, not sure if it needs a different length cable or not. Looking to get rid of it.

• Member Contributer

Dambit seb!

I'm just waiting to wire up my SP2 ign switch!

It's like you're reading my mind with this build.......but you're getting there first!

Next thing you know, you'll be swapping on SP2 front and rear brakes like my plan!

:biggrin:

What are you using for a throttle?

I'm looking at using the SP2 unit as it's a push pull like the VF's...

(this is, of course, all in good fun my friend!)

No....don't feel to bad Sebastain has no life. He's addicted to this board and takes on endless projects for the better of the VFR community. He knapps way to early then wakes up in the middle of the night half scotch induced dreaming and post about things he was just dreaming about. All this to surpass Slammers post count. I'm truely glad he's so driven 'cause it has saved a lot of us endless hours of burning things up and misfitting parts. Thanks for all your hard work bro and when this thing is done I'll gladly assist in the testing and development to make sure it's road worthy......this should take at least the weekend.

So if I know Seb pics should be up around 1:40 am........check back. :laugh:

Great White, what can I say - great minds think alike? I can however GUARANTEE that my bike will NOT be orange. It won't even have a speck of orange on it! :biggrin:

Looking good so far, Bailey is right, looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

I've got a Dan Kyle 1/6 turn throttle originally for a RC51, I think it would mate up to the 600 switch gear? If you want it PM me, not sure if it needs a different length cable or not. Looking to get rid of it.

Thanks very much Mike.

Is that a throttle tube you have? Or an assembly? Either way, the tube should fit right into the 900RR throttle housing I'm using. I don't know if the lines would need changing. Sending PM...

No....don't feel to bad Sebastain has no life. He's addicted to this board and takes on endless projects for the better of the VFR community. He knapps way to early then wakes up in the middle of the night half scotch induced dreaming and post about things he was just dreaming about. All this to surpass Slammers post count. I'm truely glad he's so driven 'cause it has saved a lot of us endless hours of burning things up and misfitting parts. Thanks for all your hard work bro and when this thing is done I'll gladly assist in the testing and development to make sure it's road worthy......this should take at least the weekend.

So if I know Seb pics should be up around 1:40 am........check back. :laugh:

True story!

Kind of.

Appreciated!

Kind of.

You're such a toolbag Steve. :biggrin: