Powers On My Vfr

Shinigami

Planning on installing a set of Pilot Powers this weekend. Plan is to replace the rear with a Road 2 once it squares/wears- I run about 300 miles of slab and 100 miles of twisties a week.

Any thoughts on whether that makes sense based on expected wear patterns?

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure what kind of mileage people are getting from the Road2, and based on their price, I have my doubts as to whether or not they are worth it.

Unless they are getting a LOT more wear than a Power, I wouldn't bother if they are still around $300 for Road2 rear.

i was going to try the same thing just to see(pp front, pr2 rear), but at $189 for a rear and 4 weeks to get it, i found a new PP for $100 and went with it....hard to beat the pp for confidence and my riding time seems to be getting a little pinched lately...let us know how it works!

• Member Contributer

I've been so impressed with Pilot Powers, I just haven't been able to make myself "shop around" everytime it's time for tires................... :thumbsup:

I just bought a pair of Avon Storm St's from this place https://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageA...mp;Category=337 last night....From what I can tell they have the lowest prices I can find on tires anywhere on the net. We'll see how the service is...I've had the pilots in the past and wanted to try this new Avon tire to see what all the talk was about, not to mention that I wear out pilot pretty fast usually(3000miles tops), and these are suppose to last quite a bit longer from what I've read. I have a couple friends who do a lot of sport touring and they swear by these. My choice was between the Avon Storms and the Conti Road Attacks....Both are $220 a set at the above site!!

I went on some long trips with some fast guys so I tried BT014 on a ten day trip and the rear did not make it home. The next trip I got a deal on Pilot Powers the rear lasted 10 days. They gripped very well but I need to get more mileage out of a tire.

I went back to a sport compound front and dual compound sport touring rear. Michelins or Bridgestones. The sport front improved grip and quicker turn in but I noticed less improvement with the sport rear. I like that the sport touring rear felt more stable and gripped well once they warmed up.

I'm not sure what kind of mileage people are getting from the Road2, and based on their price, I have my doubts as to whether or not they are worth it.

Unless they are getting a LOT more wear than a Power, I wouldn't bother if they are still around $300 for Road2 rear.

I've seen sets of PR 2's on ebay for $265 plus $25 shipping.

Shinigami,

Hard to say what type of mileage you'll get from the PP as I've seen them range between the low of 2k(me) to over 6-7k for others. Sounds like the PR 2's would do you better for how your using them, but it may take some time for supplies and prices to become more competitive in the States.

:thumbsup:

Got the Powers on the bike, put down 100 miles in mixed conditions, not pushing hard- roads are still cold and salty. But I can say they're a HUGE improvement over the stock Dunlops- no surprise. Seems to me they were grippy right from the get-go, no unexpected slippiness like some other new tires I have been on.

Planning on installing a set of Pilot Powers this weekend. Plan is to replace the rear with a Road 2 once it squares/wears- I run about 300 miles of slab and 100 miles of twisties a week.

Any thoughts on whether that makes sense based on expected wear patterns?

I really like the power front with stiffened suspension, and it yields pretty good milege. I dont run the rear because of the milege. My last front yielded 6,000 mile, the one I have now has 4,000 mile and into the last 10/20% of life, it does have a little bit of scalloping but still works good.

I've only ran them in the winter, not sure how they do in 100 degree texas summers

IMO performance/longevity wise, the PPower is the best front

• Member Contributer
Seems to me they were grippy right from the get-go, no unexpected slippiness like some other new tires I have been on.

Once they are warmed up, they are good to go, no need for taking it easy

Seems to me they were grippy right from the get-go, no unexpected slippiness like some other new tires I have been on.

Once they are warmed up, they are good to go, no need for taking it easy

I'm sure in Florida that is probably true- but here in Salt Lake City, with the stuff on the roads this time of year, cutting loose would be distinctly unwise wink.gif

I have been running the PP's for the past few sets. They are fantastic and have tons of confidence inspiring grip. I was going to go with a PR2 on the rear and a regular PP on the front. The rear would have to last alot longer for it to be worth it. I get about 3k miles from the rear and 4k from the front. The rear always wears out the center but the frt. is always worn out on the sides.

I think I may try it just to see.

I have been running the PP's for the past few sets. They are fantastic and have tons of confidence inspiring grip. I was going to go with a PR2 on the rear and a regular PP on the front. The rear would have to last alot longer for it to be worth it. I get about 3k miles from the rear and 4k from the front. The rear always wears out the center but the frt. is always worn out on the sides.

I think I may try it just to see.

That is my planned combo whenever PR 2's become more available! :thumbsup:

Archived