Fuse Locations?

Guest VFRbar

Hello guys,

Old timer here who has been riding a lot more than posting recently, but I've run into an electrical problems and was looking for some assistance. While out on a ride, my FI light came on and the bike started stuttering. I was close to home so I high-tailed it back. FI light kept coming on with increasing frequency and the engine kept cutting out but would come back on. Finally, while pulling into my driveway, I pulled in the clutch and it died. Now, when I turn the fuel pump on, the dash starts flickering and the fuel pump will not come on, but will "try" to come on and continually re-set itself.

So I'm hoping it's a blown fuse. Problem is, I can't find the things. The main 30A fuse is simple: it's beside the battery and anyways, I beefed up the wire and added an inline fuse this past summer. But the owner's manual lists a couple of fuses I thought I might check, but unfortunately, they just don't seem to be where the manual says they are. Or I can't find them and need someone to "splain." I've attached the PDF instructions, but would someone be so kind as the take a picture of the fuse locations so I know exactly what I'm looking for. Soon as I can get her running again, it will be into the shop for the wiring harness recall. Thanks!

VFR_Fuses.PDF

The fuses are behind the right meter panel. That's the panel immediately to the right of the instrument panel.

It doesn't sound like you're having a fuse problem, more like a connection problem. Sounds like it's the blue connector on the right side of the bike that connects the main wiring harness with the front harness. It's a typical trouble spot on the VFR(makes a bad ground connection). There's actually a recall out right now for this problem.

Other ideas: Also check to see if your main ground is good. The main grounding point for your bike is under the fuel tank on top of the rear cylinder head (look for a bunch of green wires). Don't forget to check for loose connections at the battery, and grab a multimeter and test your R/R.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the loose connection. It also sounds like you are way down on voltage. Some vfr guys can confirm this or put me to shame. I had an older car with some similar symptoms. You might just need a new battery??

Plenty ofthreads on this type of electrical hiccup. Go to the electrical thread for your model (I think it goes by models), just go o the main forum menu, it'll be obvious where to look!!! If he needs a new battery, there be somehing else causing that!!

Welcome back! :thumbsup:

Maybe you've been gone long enough to miss the fact that Honda is Recalling your bike to replace at least 2 of the wireing harnesses maybe all 3 for free! smile.gif

see: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35937

I agree with the other guys thoughts on this - if it were a blown fuse you would be nothing.

Which brings up an interesting point, why do motorcycle manufacturers (especially Honda) put fuses in such hard to get to places? I have an ST1300 in addition to the VFR and you have to remove part of the Tupperware to get to the fuses. Why can't they put the fuse box under the seat in plain sight and easy accessibility?

I agree with the other guys thoughts on this - if it were a blown fuse you would be nothing.

Which brings up an interesting point, why do motorcycle manufacturers (especially Honda) put fuses in such hard to get to places? I have an ST1300 in addition to the VFR and you have to remove part of the Tupperware to get to the fuses. Why can't they put the fuse box under the seat in plain sight and easy accessibility?

You mean like Yamaha? Just pop the seat off and you've got all your fuses right there. Way too nice. :thumbsup:

Maybe Honda feels that their bikes are so bullet proof and realiable that there's no reason anyone would ever need to get to the fuses... :goofy:

You mean like Yamaha? Just pop the seat off and you've got all your fuses right there. Way too nice. :thumbsup:

Maybe Honda feels that their bikes are so bullet proof and realiable that there's no reason anyone would ever need to get to the fuses... :unsure:

If they do after all these recalls there must be a genetic relatonship between the Japanese and Ostriches.

You'll work it out.... :goofy:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm aware of the recall, but I'd like to figure out the problem before I take her in. I'd also rather ride the bike in instead of having in towed, but if I can't figure it out, that's why I have HRCA towing insurance. :warranty:

I so appreciate the help. Whenever I'm in a pinch, it's good to know that VFRdiscussion isn't going anywhere.worship.gif

Archived