Lobstenders

CitizenOfDreams

• Member Contributer

I got a package in the mail today. Inside the package, carefully wrapped in paper towels, was a set of Lobstenders - mirror extenders designed and manufactured by a VFRD member known as Lobster. Needless to say, I immediately jumped to my bike and installed them.

The extenders are really nicely made, their shape 100% matches the shape of Y2K mirrors. The finish has slightly different texture, but you have to look really close to see it. There is a splice line between two sheets of plastic - Lobster warned us about it - but it is barely visible. The drilling is a little less than perfect, but nobody will see it once the extenders are mounted. Longer than stock stainless bolts were included. Would be nice if they were black, but nothing's perfect. smile.gif

gallery_11554_3576_107924.jpg

gallery_11554_3576_17655.jpg

gallery_11554_3576_43430.jpg

• Member Contributer

Love mine. Saved me quite a few times. A little black paint, on the bolt heads, (which I don't mind. I'd rathe have stainless, than rusted crap, that I'd never get back out).

gallery_2922_2278_663836.jpg

100_4188.JPG

gallery_2922_262_2442443.jpg

IMG_0076.JPG

Thanks, Lobster!!

Love,

Robin Hood

• Member Contributer

I agree. I ordered a pair a few weeks ago for my Vtec. They arrived 2 days later. Really nice quality. The lines are barely visible. Match 100%. There's enough play in the holes to line them up perfectly.

I would highly recommend them to any one who is tired of only seeing elbows in their mirrors.

Thanks again Lobster. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the props, guys. A couple comments.

As for the drilling on the 5th gen extenders, Citizen is right...it's not seen at all once they're mounted. I make the bolt holes large on purpose for a couple reasons. First, it compensates for the holes if they are not 100% perpendicular to the face. Second, it allows my customer to "float" the extender just before it gets cinched up so the customer can decide just how the joint between mirror, extender, and fairing looks. Third, the 5th gen extenders require a tapered counter bore to clear the mounting pegs on the base of the mirror. (It actually took me a couple pair when I started before I realized this...) So once the counterbore is machined, I have to go back and manually chamfer the edge to allow the mounting peg to sit fully inside the counterbore, thus allowing the mirror to sit completely flush on the extender. If I don't do this, then there would be a slight gap between the mirror and the extender and it will "rock" a little bit. I check every one I make now against a back light to make sure there is zero gap...some have bigger chamfers than others...but again, it isn't seen.

As for the bolts, I make sure to include stainless steel bolts so you don't get rusty heads. I would honestly have no idea where to get black stainless bolts or maybe powder coated bolts, and in the small quantity I use they would likely be cost prohibitive...and again...they're tough to see unless you're looking for them. Most people don't even notice the extenders much less the bolts.

As for the finish...nothing special. I've seen some of these things really polished, but honestly, they take a beating on the road, so I don't really see that as necessary. If some of you are more gifted at painting / polishing than I, it would be VERY easy to simply lightly sand off my Rust Oleum finish and finish to your liking. Rivcyko even mounted lights in his...

I'm also not in this to get rich. If anyone from VFRD doesn't like them, I would be happy to provide a refund if you send them back. (I haven't had anyone ask yet..) I honestly love these things for riding, and I hope everyone who's bought a set does too. I'm not trying to be cocky...I truly want you guys / gals to like them, and I don't want anyone to be stuck with something they don't like.

I have a couple more pairs for 5th and 6th gen left, and even a couple pairs of "not quite worthy to sell for sull price" if anyone is interested. Just check out the FS thread and send me a PM.

Glad this thread was started. I just ordered a pair from Lobster! I could see behind me when I was riding my gen 5 VFR but now that I have a gen 6, I actually have to pull my arm up and lay it over the tank in order to see using my left mirror... or take some twisties!

• Member Contributer
If anyone from VFRD doesn't like them, I would be happy to provide a refund if you send them back.

You are not getting mine back, I'm keeping them! Thanks again for the quality product.

About black bolts... My usual source for weird hardware is McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, they do not have the bolts in question. sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone from VFRD doesn't like them, I would be happy to provide a refund if you send them back.

You are not getting mine back, I'm keeping them! Thanks again for the quality product.

About black bolts... My usual source for weird hardware is McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, they do not have the bolts in question. sad.gif

Lobsterman. I want some of your extenders. How can I order a pair? I have sixth gen. No lights necessary. I have enough bling for now. How can I order a pair?

• Member Contributer

Lobsterman. I want some of your extenders. How can I order a pair? I have sixth gen. No lights necessary. I have enough bling for now. How can I order a pair?

Shoot him a P.M. Haus.

LOL. Then buy a hugger and Bug Buster. LOL.

Guest MtnRider

I too ordered and received them, but my bike is in many parts at the moment. I am putting in new headbearings but "since I'm this far into it" has set in and I keep finding so many other things to do such as PAIR mod (plates from a memeber here too). Okay back to topic, the mirror extenders are very nice and excellent packaging. I am actually going to find the same material product for another mirror modification.

• Member Contributer

Just sent you a PM. I have a 6th gen pair already packed and waiting for a new owner!

A+ fit n finish lobster. I love mine. That little line down the center you really have to know its there to see it. Also thankyou for the throttlemiester. I had to remove 1 of the thin washers to get a little better hold with it.....

Now i can see the cops chasing me instead of looking for there lights flashing around me to see if they are still there :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Finally found a few minutes to install the Lobstenders on my '98 VFR, and that's literally how little time it took. I've got the condom style mirrors, so it looks a little odd, but not bad at all from a few feet away. The ability to see so much better what's behind me far outweighs that little negative. Thanks, Lobster, for a great product! :thumbsup:

LOL. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=29067&hl=

Work'n on making them better, (Brighter).

Thanks for the link. That was before my time here on VFRD. I do really like the idea though. I was thinking about doing the mirrors with signals built in, but I like this idea better. I think I'll have to give it a try sometime soon. Unless I missed it in that link, i didn't see what kind of leds you used, or where they came from. Any extra info would be awesome! Thanks!

And thanks for the mirror extenders, Lobster. I bought an extra set for my friends' 6th gen and put them on as a surprise. He is super happy with them, and so am I. Altho, being super happy with them when its icy and 0 dergrees out involves sitting on our bikes in the garage making VROOOM VROOOM sounds and being able to see the garage door and not my elbows. :lol: Nice product!

After reading this thread I decided to order a pair for my bike. I was suprized how fast they arrived and they were packaged nice for the trip. So now the extenders are on the bike and I am just waiting for some rideing weather.