Adding 12v Plug

Guest TWIST'DGRIP

Question

Guest TWIST'DGRIP

I'm sure this is a rehash of an old thread but here goes. I am considering adding a 12 volt socket to my bike so I can power all of those cool goodies. I've seen kits available just want to know which kits you have been using, how and finally where you've mounted them. It will be going on an '03 VFR ABS. My ultimate goal is to have it look as inconspicuous as possible. Thanks.

Not to mention pics of your installs with a quick how to would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

24 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
I'm sure this is a rehash of an old thread but here goes. I am considering adding a 12 volt socket to my bike so I can power all of those cool goodies. I've seen kits available just want to know which kits you have been using, how and finally where you've mounted them. It will be going on an '03 VFR ABS. My ultimate goal is to have it look as inconspicuous as possible. Thanks.

Not to mention pics of your installs with a quick how to would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

I received a Powerlet VFR Triple tree mount for X-Mas.

check out post #2.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38493

They are pricey, but a very clean install.

Opps.. forgot to give props to BonusVFR for the pic.

• Member Contributer

One of the easy things to do.

Powerlet socket in stem. There is a kit for the VFR.

med_gallery_2144_2760_16329.jpg

I eventually wired it to the Bluesea fusebox and relay...........only because ever once in a while I forget things!!!!!!!!! <_<

• Member Contributer

I just got a 12V outlet with a rubber cover and inline fuse from Radio Shack. Used a dremel to drill an opening in the black inner fairing, so the socket is pointing upward. Its in a perfect location to power my radar detector / GPS or whatever else I stick on the center RAM mount. It blends right in and was easy to install. There's a smooth black surface just inboard of the fairing on which to put it. I'll post a pic of mine later.

I've got an ordinary cigar socket with a spring-loaded cap, with a cable about a metre long, stowed under my seat. It's wired up to my BlueSea accessory fuse box. I did look at installing something permanently in the fairing or wherever, but I've used this only once (for a GPS) and the only accessory I currently have is my Slime tyre pump, which has an ordinary cigarette lighter plug (which is why I didn't go for a powerlet or BMW-type socket).

• Member Contributer
I've got an ordinary cigar socket with a spring-loaded cap, with a cable about a metre long, stowed under my seat. It's wired up to my BlueSea accessory fuse box. I did look at installing something permanently in the fairing or wherever, but I've used this only once (for a GPS) and the only accessory I currently have is my Slime tyre pump, which has an ordinary cigarette lighter plug (which is why I didn't go for a powerlet or BMW-type socket).

I added this dodad so I could both ways.

pac001.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here is my 12V install. This is not a Powerlet socket, just a normal cig lighter socket you can get for a couple bucks at any Radio Shack. I pulled the side fairing off and dremeled a hole in the black inner fairing, just large enough to squeeze the socket into. I had it wired direct to the battery, then went back later and installed a BlueSea switched fuse box just below the socket, between the inner and outer fairings. I use the socket to power whatever is on the Ram mount just forward of the gas tank; if the powered accessory has a large plug (like the V1's... the plug is a good 4" long) the LH clipon will hit the plug at full lock. It's not that big a deal, as the socket has enough play that it gives a little, but some might find it annoying. When I get my Helibars in a day or two that issue should resolve itself as well.

P1200016.jpg

P1200015.jpg

PS. The reason there are some missing bolts is that I crashed on the LH side a few months ago and the fairing doesn't go on exactly straight anymore... It'll get fixed in time.

• Member Contributer

My similar install.

All wiring is wrapped abrasion/chemical resistant braided sleeve...I'm anal. Socket is a waterproof job from a marine store. Fuse block is a water resistant 3 switched one constant from Painless Wiring (bought through Jegs) pre wired with relay.

Battery Connections

DSC00134.jpg

Fuseblock under seat

DSC00133.jpg

Ran the heat shrink all the way to the tips for adding protection...told you I'm anal

DSC00135.jpg

Looks factory don't it?

DSC00136.jpg

• Member Contributer

On my old 2003, I had a marine unit mounted to the frame under the gauge cluster. Nothing fancy...just a piece of aluminum bent in half with a hole in one side for the the outlet and a hole on the other side for a mounting bolt. There are a few holes through the front of the frame under tha gauge cluster and I just tucked it in there...no one would ever see it, and you don't have to mess with cutting the fairing (although the jobs shown here certainly look professional).

I can't show you any pics because I sold the bike. Member "lefty" bought it, so perhaps you can PM him and ask for a pic or two. Good luck.

I just had my recall done, so I added my Powerlet outlet on the steering Stem. That was an easy install. I installed a GPS Mount and finally got my Corbin seat on.

Good luck!gallery_8606_2086_117926.jpg

updated today with a power outlet and GPS mount

I'm looking at adding a accessory plug also for my GPS. Where's the best switched location to wire it up to. I'd like the power off when the key is removed.

• Member Contributer

Wire it straight to the battery (or a fuse box, if you have one) through a switched relay. Trigger the relay using a wire that's only live when the key is in the 'on' position--I connected mine to the license plate light wire. There's a very common relay that you can pick up just about anywhere, but I can't recall the number for it at the moment. I'm sure someone else can chime in with more info. Basically, you're going to have power going from the battery, through the relay, to your plug, but the relay will only let the power through while the trigger wire is on.

• Member Contributer
I'm looking at adding a accessory plug also for my GPS. Where's the best switched location to wire it up to. I'd like the power off when the key is removed.

I like things switched on my 99 ........including the GPS.

I put some pictures up about how I did my relay/fuse block wiring in my Tales of Zumo post.

I'm only planning to use a GPS. Will I need a 30amp relay or maybe just a 5 amp? I'm thinking I don't need a distro box either.

Besides the tail light, is there a wire up front of the bike to splice into? I'd like to avoid running a wire the length of the bike if I don't need to.

• Member Contributer
I'm only planning to use a GPS. Will I need a 30amp relay or maybe just a 5 amp? I'm thinking I don't need a distro box either.

Besides the tail light, is there a wire up front of the bike to splice into? I'd like to avoid running a wire the length of the bike if I don't need to.

I have heated grips, power plug, GPS and Volt meter on the box for now. It starts to add up.

Maybe a running light feed/turn signal would work? 5 amp would be the minimum but the relays probably cost the same.

I added this dodad so I could both ways.

pac001.jpg

Hey BonusVFR, I just installed the powerlet and need one of the "dodad" things....Where can I find one? Thanks Bliss

• Member Contributer
Hey BonusVFR, I just installed the powerlet and need one of the "dodad" things....Where can I find one? Thanks Bliss

You should be able to get those at the same place you bought the powerlet. They have them in different configurations, I have one with dual outlets on a 12" or so extension.

• Member Contributer

You should be able to get those at the same place you bought the powerlet. They have them in different configurations, I have one with dual outlets on a 12" or so extension.

Yea I think I bought direct from Powerlet when I got the kit. Probably less expensive elsewhere.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/cables.php

Doodad aka...................................

"CIGAR ADAPTER - PAC-001

"Stubby" connects any device that has a cigarette type plug to a Powerlet socket (BMW type), including cell phones, radar detectors, air compressors, etc.."

• Member Contributer
On the fuse box comments!

th_P9180544.jpg

It comes in handy when you want to add more electrical farkles to your bike.

Darth, thanks for that picture, I was going to add one to my 6th gen, just didn't like the under the seat idea I've seen, this looks much better as your not running wire after wire back to the seat :thumbsup:

Powerlet only allows dealers to discount their prices by 10%, which is what I do/did. Fuse Panels are great for adding power lines, especially if you get a relayed panel. I love mine, which you can see on my website....it is simple and fairly cheap. I powered my heated grips, Powerlet Steering Stem socket, and Volt Meter all from the same line. If I use the Powerlet for a heavy draw device in the Winter I might split the line. The Volt Meter/Gauge doesn't draw any noticeable power, so I am not concerned about it....and I love the way it looks installed!

• Member Contributer

If you don't want to mess around with much wiring and terminations, and don't mind spending some money, go to undefined and look at their AP-2 Kit. This is a fuse box that provides both switched and unswitched outputs, and the harness can be custom made to length for you. They also provide all of the Powerlet stuff. B)

• Member Contributer
If you don't want to mess around with much wiring and terminations, and don't mind spending some money, go to undefined and look at their AP-2 Kit. This is a fuse box that provides both switched and unswitched outputs, and the harness can be custom made to length for you. They also provide all of the Powerlet stuff. B)

Sorry about that. The link works, but I forgot to name it. It's for Eastern Beaver Company.

Archived