• Havoline
    • Quaker State
    • Motul
    • Valvoline
    • Golden Spectro
    • Rotella
    • Other

Guest Junyr

I use the Rotella Synthetic now that it's got the proper JASO rating...

With that being said, I'm one of the mindset that what you use isn't near as important as changing it at the appropriate interval.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ridetime

I am not very consistent with the filter I use, I have used NAPA brand, K&N, OEM Honda, Walmart ( Supertech) brand, so admit no alliance to any particualr filter, except I avoid Fram like a plague, in any bike, car, truck, boat, as they always rate as poor in testing.

For oil, I changed it before the bike had 100 kms on it, to Shell Rotella 15W40 Dino oil, and its been the same oil ever since.

I have tried to change it about every 2500 to 3000 kms, but admit on long trips, I have gone well over that.

Rode from BC down to Texas, and then over to Florida, changed it in Florida.

Rode from Florida up into Quebec, and then all the way back to BC, and changed it when I got home.

So a lot of mileage between changes that trip.

Seems to still be fine, as it runs perfectly and has over 148,000 kms on it since I bought it new.

• 1 month later...

Contributing... (taps the mike)

Last change: Repsol Moto 15-20, after 5,000 miles. Because I got "paid" with it.

Previous: Castrol Tection 15-40 (diesel-spec). Nothing untoward noticed, after 500mi on the new stuff.

And so I added these two plus Amsoil to the data as provided by one Mark Lawrence, and hereby post a graph.

See? we're splitting hairs people... this is why we can't have nice things :biggrin: ... :biggrin:

gallery_18314_4851_52396.jpg

Guest whitecl0ver

I'm running REPSOL becuase thats what the shop uses and I just bought the bike, but in my V-Star I ran Repsol 20-50 V-Twin...In my VFR I will most like use Repsol 10-40 Full Syn.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Toppers

Has anyone found dino Rotella to be better than Syn Rotella? I ask because after only 2k miles my bike destroyed the T6 and it shifts like hell now, but I hear about 15W-40 owners going 3-4k no issues.

Has anyone found dino Rotella to be better than Syn Rotella? I ask because after only 2k miles my bike destroyed the T6 and it shifts like hell now, but I hear about 15W-40 owners going 3-4k no issues.

Keep in mind with my comments, I destroyed my fork oil the black coal and sluging in 6000 mile, where other have changed fluid at 16,000 mile and that oil still look not bad.

Rotella(syn) disetigrates in a bike much like a car oil, its a sub 2000 mile oil in a bike. My testing analysis, showed this break down under 1100 mile. The reason I did the tsting, I didnt like what I was seeing in the oikl dumps.

Rollella 15 w40 is about the worst shifting oil I've ever put in the vfr,

I've been running Honda's HP4 10w40 synthetic blend/withOUT Moly per the owners manual. 36K on the clock and no problems. Yet! :fing02: Now if my new sprocket/chain kit would just get here maybe I could put some miles on the clock!

Guest Toppers

Changed my vote from Rotella to Mobil 1. I really wanted to believe it would replace an expensive synthetic, but my 5th gen ate it in less than 2,000 miles. And shifting was pretty bad with the Rotella out the gate. Bike runs/shifts/sounds much, much smoother with M1 4T again.

Maybe it's a gear driven cam thing but no more cheap oils for me.

Castrol has been on the tube this week advertizing a full syn. called Edge.... I haven't gone to the store to look over the lable.... Just thought I'd add this FYI....

Guest Toppers

On a side note, anyone know how legit this Amsoil "Study of Motorcycle Oils" is that they release? Pretty interesting but hard to believe Amsoil spanks every oil in every test that bad.

On a side note, anyone know how legit this Amsoil "Study of Motorcycle Oils" is that they release? Pretty interesting but hard to believe Amsoil spanks every oil in every test that bad.

Since it was Amsoil that wrote the report, who knows how much is right on......... On the other hand I seen unbias studies that puts Amsoil in the top area of 3 or 4 others.... so at least it's one of the best.... The problem is can you find one close for less money, hence all the oil threads....

• Member Contributer

Changed my vote from Rotella to Mobil 1. I really wanted to believe it would replace an expensive synthetic, but my 5th gen ate it in less than 2,000 miles. And shifting was pretty bad with the Rotella out the gate. Bike runs/shifts/sounds much, much smoother with M1 4T again.

Which Rotella? I prefer the Rotella T6 to the Auto Mobil 1 I was running.

• Member Contributer

M1 4T is Mobils motorcycle specific oil. Been running it for years.

Guest Toppers

I was referring to the T6. Shortly afterwards I tried the Dino version 15w-40 and not so great either.

Thats because you have female qualities( thats not a negative) just means your senses arent clouded like most males.

I agree the rotella 15w40 is about the worst shifting , for an oil that get so much glamore talk

Guest Toppers

Heh, thanks for the compliment I guess. :laughing6-hehe: Like I said I wanted to believe it, but it felt terrible in my bike. (rotella syn and dino)

Ok so, these short OIC's are getting ridiculous. I'm running Mobil 1 4T for 8k miles per the manual and sending a sample to blackstone. We'll see how a top oil does by the recommended OIC. Will post the results in this thread.

Edited by Toppers

• Member Contributer

Heh, thanks for the compliment I guess. :laughing6-hehe: Like I said I wanted to believe it, but it felt terrible in my bike. (rotella syn and dino)

Ok so, these short OIC's are getting ridiculous. I'm running Mobil 1 4T for 8k miles per the manual and sending a sample to blackstone. We'll see how a top oil does by the recommended OIC. Will post the results in this thread.

I bet the viscosity will be down to about 10wt. Let us know how it tests!

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Ran Rotella Triple protection 15w-40 in my vfr and ER-6N with no problems this summer. Now that the cold is hitting, I'm back to using Honda syn w/ moly 10w-40. Only get the moly stuff here. I've put 20k miles with it and no problems.

Edited by Ranger77

• Member Contributer

My synthetic 10W-40 in the bike is going to the salvage yard tomorrow. The engine ran good all the way up to the time I totaled the bike. What more could one ask for..... :laughing6-hehe:

Heh, thanks for the compliment I guess. :cool: Like I said I wanted to believe it, but it felt terrible in my bike. (rotella syn and dino)

Hi, did you get a chance to post the analysis? Thanks!

Guest Ziggen4u

Heh, thanks for the compliment I guess. :cool: Like I said I wanted to believe it, but it felt terrible in my bike. (rotella syn and dino)

Hi, did you get a chance to post the analysis? Thanks!

Funny you should ask. I never made it to 8k but did draw a sample and put in the Blackstone labs tube this morning, just have to send it in. The mileage on the oil is only 3,200. I'l get it analyzed if you or anyone else still wants to see it, just reply to this thread. I had second thoughts on the long OCI thing, these gear driven cams are not easy on oil. I can feel it changed at just 3k, even being a strong performing oil. No reason to push it and risk things.