• Havoline
    • Quaker State
    • Motul
    • Valvoline
    • Golden Spectro
    • Rotella
    • Other

• Member Contributer

Used to use nothing but Amsoil but because of the cost I have switch to Mobil 1. Just to note something, I have a bother in law who ride a Harley and tried the Syn. Rotella, absolutely made a world of difference in the bike. Both valve train sound and temp. the motor ran at.

I use Mobil 1 so far.

a. It reviewed well.

b. I put it in.

c. I put on a good filter.

d. I drove it like I was being chased.

e. Nothing blew up.

That was the car.

f. Repeated a-c with my Veefer.

g. Rode it like I was being chased.

h. Nothing blew up.

So I smile and carry on.

I noticed a huge difference when I put Mobil 1 15w-50 in my old 2005 Harley Davidson XL1200C. It was night and day difference. It shifted smoother, ran smoother(I know that that is hard to believe on a Harley). I had the first service done on it at 800 miles and i dunno what the Honda store put in it. I assume that they used Honda GN whatever dnio. Now that the weather has turned to non riding weather I will put Mobil 1 15w-50 in it once the weather turns around. God I love this Bike! 07 RWB FOREVER!!!!!

• Member Contributer

I'm guessing a few of those who voted synthetic are actually synthetic blend users. I used regular automotive oil one time. It was the only time I noticed a difference in clutch performance. I like Motul synthetic blend cause it's easy to find on sale.

• Member Contributer

Mobile One, gold cap, but only because it is was what most every one was using on here when I first got the VFR.

Never put synthetic in the car or truck

Same here, and I have no complaints about the Mobil 1 either. Made shifting smoother, but never have tried any other synthetics.

I am just trying out Castrol power 1 racing, full synthetic, 5w40 mainly because it was cheap at the time $60 / 4 litres.

This oil replaces the Castrol R4 superbike

Seems Ok, gearchange is very slick, engine runs cooler.

I was worried about the "5" aspect of the cold viscosity, but that is at 0 deg C and it is never that cold here.

Previously I used Mobil xtra 4t semi synthetic 10 w 40 with good results, and have used mobil 1 racing 4t in previous VFRs also with good results, but it has become very expensive, about $80 for 4 litres.

A few people here swear by Motul 5100 10w40 semi synthetic, but I think it is too expensive ($70 for 4 litres) for what it is.

The manual recommends a 10 w 30 now, seems a bit light to me.

Not too sure about running the 5 w 40 over our hot summer though.

• Member Contributer

I used Mobil 1 V4 for the first couple of changes based on the reviews in the 2005 thread. After that I realized I really liked the ELF on the side of the swingarm and if using ELF meant the bike only lasted 160K rather than 180K I could live with it. I like having the jugs around. It's the only tie my garage has to Formula 1.

• Member Contributer

Hello to all

I'm surprising to not find the british Silkolene in list.

Is not imported in the USA?

I use the Pro 4 Plus 10W-50, have the Jaso MA, the specification of the Japanese Motorcycle Engine Constructors.

ciao, Luigi.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dendron

Wow, an official oil thread. While we're on the subject of oil (currently running Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synth in the blue bottle), why is it that the official Honda maintenance schedule in the owner's manual recommends changing the stuff every 8000 miles :wheel: ?

I've never gone any longer than 3k intervals in previous bikes I've owned, or in my car for that matter. Just seems wacky. Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I'll just toss it out here for fun. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Hello to all

I use the Pro 4 Plus 10W-50, have the Jaso MA, the specification of the Japanese Motorcycle Engine Constructors.

ciao, Luigi.

We have it in Oz too.

It is cheaper than most motorcycle specific brands that are common here, so I thought I would try also.

Have only ran 2500 kms... probably common, but it's very similar to the Motul 5100, in how the engine runs, cools and warms up... but at half the price of the 'tul.

So far no complaints, but have yet to drain.

There has been a sudden markup in MC oils in the past year here.

So Im changing cheaper, but more often, overall happy with the performance.

Think I'll be back for more.

• 1 month later...

Let's not let this thread die!

I just changed the oil to RedLine Motorcycle 10/40. First thing I noticed was the oil pressure light now shuts off just before the bike starts. With the old oil(mobil1 4t with 3700.miles)the light would flicker a couple of times than go out, but after the engine started( did the same thing with Rotella Syn). 2nd thing I've noticed, is the bike shifts like a hot knife thru butter. Shifting is better than with mobil1 and as good as Rotella(but the Rotella went to crap in less than 2000 miles). Will see how long the RedLine last.

Update! Just got home from a 100 mile ride. I've noticed a couple of more things! the bike is now running 200 rpm higher at idle. I'll need to adjust down to 1300 in the morning. Also, the bikes temp is running at 172~173f*(lower than I've ever seen at crusing speed. Before the RedLine it was running around 177~180f* I'd say that So far this RedLine oil is worth the money(if it holds up for 10k).

Edited by VFRBenny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello to all

ciao, Luigi.

We have it in Oz too.

It is cheaper than most motorcycle specific brands that are common here, so I thought I would try also.

Have only ran 2500 kms... probably common, but it's very similar to the Motul 5100, in how the engine runs, cools and warms up... but at half the price of the 'tul.

So far no complaints, but have yet to drain.

There has been a sudden markup in MC oils in the past year here.

So Im changing cheaper, but more often, overall happy with the performance.

Think I'll be back for more.

Quick update here... drained this morning, it's all black and dark, it wasn't like that when it went in :blink:

Just been through your typical Queensland summer and I see little difference from the previous oil - Motul 5100. Bike did run slightly cooler than I remember, never saw past 108c in the peakhour city outrun test, with 1 year old coolant. No leaks or blowby. Drained clear, no froth, or separated materials. Might have to stock up when it comes on special :ph34r:

I am just trying out Castrol power 1 racing, full synthetic, 5w40 mainly because it was cheap at the time $60 / 4 litres.

I was worried about the "5" aspect of the cold viscosity, but that is at 0 deg C and it is never that cold here.

Previously I used Mobil xtra 4t semi synthetic 10 w 40 with good results, and have used mobil 1 racing 4t in previous VFRs also with good results, but it has become very expensive, about $80 for 4 litres.

A few people here swear by Motul 5100 10w40 semi synthetic, but I think it is too expensive ($70 for 4 litres) for what it is.

Quick update on this also, I think this oil (5W40) is too light for the Aussie summer, the slick gear change went off after about 1000 Kms so I have gone back to the 10w40 semi synthetic.

It is probably OK for winter use.

• 1 month later...
Guest Paladin

I'll be putting my as-yet-unridden new-to-me 93 on the road soonish. I've got a jug of Prestone pre-mix Dex-cool compatible coolant, Dot 4 brake fluid, and Iridium plugs ready to install . . . now I have to choose an oil to go with. I used to use Mobil 1 red cap (Motul 5100 gave me clutch-slip on my 98). My local store carries Shell Rotella synth at $51 (!) for a 4-litre jug, but I am wondering whether this hi-mile bike might prefer dino. MC specific oil around here is limited to smallish bike dealers. So my question, for those using Mobil 1: which Mobil 1 are you using?

Quick update on this also, I think this oil (5W40) is too light for the Aussie summer, the slick gear change went off after about 1000 Kms so I have gone back to the 10w40 semi synthetic.

It is probably OK for winter use.

That oil is also available in a 10w50 weight . It is super Light weight in 5w40, and not a long life oil but is premum quality base oil, I agree its too light for vfr tranny in that weght.

I agree Honda can stick there 10w30 Ide crap. Vfr will eat a 10w40 into a 30 weight anyway in about 1000 mile.

I'll be putting my as-yet-unridden new-to-me 93 on the road soonish. I've got a jug of Prestone pre-mix Dex-cool compatible coolant, Dot 4 brake fluid, and Iridium plugs ready to install . . . now I have to choose an oil to go with. I used to use Mobil 1 red cap (Motul 5100 gave me clutch-slip on my 98). My local store carries Shell Rotella synth at $51 (!) for a 4-litre jug, but I am wondering whether this hi-mile bike might prefer dino. MC specific oil around here is limited to smallish bike dealers. So my question, for those using Mobil 1: which Mobil 1 are you using?

Man , that suks you got clutch slip on the Motul, they do use moly in many of their oils..

• Member Contributer

This -- http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

- Something else - dunno if I would use Dex-cool in your bike.

md

Guest Paladin

This -- http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

- Something else - dunno if I would use Dex-cool in your bike.

md

Thanks for the link.

As for Dexcool, I am going by a discussion from 5 or 6 years ago when the subject was canvassed pretty thoroughly, and I recall that the long-life Dexcool-compatible coolants were deemed safe in the aluminum engines. If anyone has info to the contrary I would like to know. I used that in my 98 and it was in there for several years to no apparent ill effect.

• Member Contributer

I'm attaching a doc written by an engineer, Mark Lawrence at Cal Sci (fellow rider too). It has everything you could possibly want to know about motor oil and how/why it works in a motorcycle engine. It is a long paper (16 pgs) but it is easy to read and explains everything. I skipped to the stuff about motorcycles first time, but I found i kept going back to find out more. Eventually, I sat down and read it start to finish... it's worth reading.

In a nut shell... Mark says use Mobil1 15w-50 if you will not be riding in any cold/cool weather. If starting your bike below 40°f, 5°c use Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. If you can afford it, use Motul 5100 10w-40 or a blend with Motul & Rotella T synthetic or another high quality synthetic.

I use a blend of Rotella T syntheic 5w-40 & M1 15w-50 in my air cooled V twin and my VFR.

Everything you want to know about oil.doc

• Member Contributer

Walmart SuperTech 10W-40 to match the SuperTech filter. Oil & filter change cost less than $10. Love Walmart. I wouldn't shop anywhere else.

Thinking about running Rotella-T, the price isn't much more than the SuperTech -but I just can't seem to put the same oil in my motorcycle that I put in my Diesel Gen1 Camry. In my Gasser Gen3 Camry I put SuperTech 10W40, and have been for the last 309,000 miles.