• Havoline
    • Quaker State
    • Motul
    • Valvoline
    • Golden Spectro
    • Rotella
    • Other

• Member Contributer

T6 synthetic is 5w-40, the T is 15w-40 like the report specifies...

Oops's your that's dino..

The Doc is right... Rotella T6 5w-40 is full synthetic, the Rotella T 15w-40 is dino diesel engine oil.

What XRCRIS posted was his report from a sample of Rotella T 15w-40 dino oil

Oops's your right that's dino..

Yeh I know ..

+1 Looks like your engine likes the Rotella T. Have you been always running that oil? That is the non-synthetic, right?

Oh, and what is your usual change interval and filter brand?

Yep, it's pretty happy (so's the Powerstroke that gets even more of it).

Usual interval is 5K miles, and I use Bosch filters.

• Member Contributer

I bought the Bosch filters last time on Amazon for my CB1R...turns out they are a little longer than stock even though I got the "short" ones. Just had to get longer bolts for the filter cover...

I bought the Bosch filters last time on Amazon for my CB1R...turns out they are a little longer than stock even though I got the "short" ones. Just had to get longer bolts for the filter cover...

That would've been a bummer if you're like me; trying to do it on a Sunday night before work....Since the VFR uses the same filter as the same year civics, I never have the number when I pick up filters and have to check the book, but its just a spin-on........

• 4 weeks later...

ahh the oil thread-- amsoil state they are the best honda gn4 belray exp silkolene all worked good for me-- change it when recommend and let the bike warm up is really all you need to do-- 15-50 in summer 10-40 rest

• Member Contributer

ahh the oil thread-- amsoil state they are the best honda gn4 belray exp silkolene all worked good for me-- change it when recommend and let the bike warm up is really all you need to do-- 15-50 in summer 10-40 rest

Allowing the oil to reach operating temp is a good advice... but all you need to do to lower your summer

operating temps and enjoy about 5HP more is to choose the recommended 30 weight...

• 3 weeks later...

dino oil honda is good gn4 but intervals are less apart via the synthetics hot higher weight-- next change i be puttin in some of dat dare 15-50 ultra triples esters from dat dare maxima found it on sale on dis herah computa evfrey thang should be allright

Allowing the oil to reach operating temp is a good advice... but all you need to do to lower your summer
operating temps and enjoy about 5HP more is to choose the recommended 30 weight...

ya but it beez real hot here in the summer i mean hot-- burn your feet on the concrete hot- like hot desert type hot even the snakes hide out from the heat in the summer its just plain hot-- engine need higher weight from all that heat- temp guage says its hot too.. its just hot in da south in summer hot--

• 6 months later...

I ride in some f***ing cold temps, so the thing gets 0w40 full synth rotella that meets JASO-MA specs for wet clutches.

and by cold, I mean that The coldest day I've done was around -18C. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The Doc is right... Rotella T6 5w-40 is full synthetic, the Rotella T 15w-40 is dino diesel engine oil.

That is really kind of my point related to 3k oil changes in general. A huge waste of money and an Excellant Marketing Champaign by the oil Co's. Let's just focus on the Honda VFR here.

Honda Engineer's recomended 8k oil change intervals with Dino oil and if you follow any oil test reports Honda Branded Oil usually rates towards the bottom of quality list in most any oil comparo test.

Now let me put my simple mind to this issue starting only with a few facts first:

1- Honda produces high quality products

2- Honda engineers design those products

3- Honda engineers recommend 8k dino oil change intervals

4- Honda dino oil test in bottom half of quality testing(see about any test results)

5- Full Syn oil consistently test out better in all catigories vs dino oil ( to simplify only use info from top 5 Full Syn and top 5 dino oil from testing) btw no Honda oil on either list,

Now let me start some simple conjecture:

Honda engineers are comfy running their (lower quality) Branded dino at 8 k intervals, so by using a better quality dino oil like even the Rotella T mentioned here these same Honda engineers should easily approve 9k intervals using the better oil. Yes?

Full Syn oil consistently runs longer intervals while performing as good or more often better then similar dino's. Yes?

Now add together Honda engineered recommended 8k intervals, higher quality oil and now make it a high quality full syn oil and what intervals would you think those Honda engineers would recommend.

Just by using my simple mind, these 5 simple facts that are laided out above and the slightest amount of realistic conjecture I have some serious backing to be very comfortable changing my oil with a top 5 rated dino oil at 8k intervals.

I run Mobil 1 and am very happy with 6-8k intervals and have hit 10k once, wish I would have tested it!!!

All intervals can be adjusted up or down based on other factors like how, where, temps, how many 4th gear wheelies, etc. but in general

I consider any sub 5k interval severe over indulgence.

Peace Out and Save the Dinosaurs!

PS I'm Old and Slow but still run the piss out of my bikes and I've put over 105,000 miles on this one so far.

BR

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

That is really kind of my point related to 3k oil changes in general. A huge waste of money and an Excellant Marketing Champaign by the oil Co's. Let's just focus on the Honda VFR here.

Honda Engineer's recomended 8k oil change intervals with Dino oil and if you follow any oil test reports Honda Branded Oil usually rates towards the bottom of quality list in most any oil comparo test.

Now let me put my simple mind to this issue starting only with a few facts first:

4- Honda dino oil test in bottom half of quality testing(see about any test results)

5- Full Syn oil consistently test out better in all catigories vs dino oil ( to simplify only use info from top 5 Full Syn and top 5 dino oil from testing) btw no Honda oil on either list,

Honda engineers are comfy running their (lower quality) Branded dino at 8 k intervals, so by using a better quality dino oil like even the Rotella T mentioned here these same Honda engineers should easily approve 9k intervals using the better oil. Yes?

Full Syn oil consistently runs longer intervals while performing as good or more often better then similar dino's. Yes?

Now add together Honda engineered recommended 8k intervals, higher quality oil and now make it a high quality full syn oil and what intervals would you think those Honda engineers would recommend.

Just by using my simple mind, these 5 simple facts that are laided out above and the slightest amount of realistic conjecture I have some serious backing to be very comfortable changing my oil with a top 5 rated dino oil at 8k intervals.

I run Mobil 1 and am very happy with 6-8k intervals and have hit 10k once, wish I would have tested it!!!

All intervals can be adjusted up or down based on other factors like how, where, temps, how many 4th gear wheelies, etc. but in general

PS I'm Old and Slow but still run the piss out of my bikes and I've put over 105,000 miles on this one so far.

BR

Dude... it was 75 F in Nashville today... what are you doing on a Winter blues oil thread???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BR

Dude... it was 75 F in Nashville today... what are you doing on a Winter blues oil thread???

Recovering from shoulder surgery. :-(

• Member Contributer

BR

Darn .

BR

Darn .

I blame guys like you and Kimbell.

Doc said I over rotated my shoulder trying to achieve 150% throttle position attempting to ride with you guys!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

BR

Darn .

I blame guys like you and Kimbell.

Doc said I over rotated my shoulder trying to achieve 150% throttle position attempting to ride with you guys!

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

OK we figured out you put me in the hospital!

What about my Oil Logic ?

Hope you heal quick and fully...

I'm don't disagree on your oil logic, I'm collecting UOA data from Blackstone on 5w30 M1 right now and will extend the change interval as the reports indicate.

On the other hand, I won't extend it very far (>8k miles) since the bike takes only a couple qts of oil... might try changing out the oil filter and letting the oil ride on and see what the test results show. Did that on my Acura a few times and it is still running strong at >205k miles.

• Member Contributer

I agree...

My experience is that Honda can be trusted... if they recommend in

writing a 8K oil interval then it will meet and exceed your mileage

expectations because I believe after talking with the engineers at

Honda that they do thoroughly test the oil... in fact it doesn't

matter to your engines longevity if you run Dino or Synthetic... or

even 50 40 or 30 weight.... no one is wearing out their engine... but

it does matter in the amount of rear wheel HP is wasted in unnecessary

oil drag... between a 30wt and 40wt is 2 to 3 HP in unnecessary oil

drag... between a 30 and 50 is 4 to 6 HP in unnecessary oil drag...

choosing the freest flowing viscosity of 30 as prescribed by the

official Honda manual over a 40 50 is smarter because it will:

1)increase HP at the rear wheel

2)quicken the throttle response coming out of the corners...

3)decrease over all operating temps...

4)increase the oil flow at the critical bearings...

$(KGrHqFHJFQFH+3bLSKwBSF(pTTTDg~~60_57.J

• Member Contributer

I agree...

WooHoo, I am somebody!

Thanks Larry!

Is your name in the phone book?