Installing A Power Commander

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

pc01.jpg

Power Commander Control Center

pc09.jpg

The unit has several Tables that adjust different things, as youmay know the PC takes inputs from various sensors and adjusts the readings. The PC simulates a different reading from the sensors to adjust the way the ECU delivers fuel.

These sensors are the Throttle position sensor, Atmospheric pressure sensor, and Manifold Pressure sensors. These sensors control different portions of the powerband in different ways, because different conditions impact each sensor differently, Manifold pressure has a greater effect on low rpm conditions than the Atmospheric sensor, and vise versa so each table must be set up to compensate for these different conditions.

pc11.jpg

Honda VFR800 command center table explanations

Table 1 AAP (barometric pressure sensor)

This table can be used to add or remove fuel from 10% through 100% throttle. The maximum value for adding fuel is "9". The maximum value for removing fuel is "-35".

Table 2 TP (throttle position)

This table can be used to add fuel at throttle settings between 5% and 80% if Table 1 does not allow the desired fuel ratio. Small changes in this table equal large changes in fuel delivery.

Table 3 MP (manifold pressure/vacuum)

This table is used to adjust fuel delivery at small throttle openings, 0% through 5%. Large values are required to make a noticeable change in fuel delivery (steps of "5" or so). Maximum value is "125", but if a value over "35" is used it might be necessary to use Table 2 in this area.

Table 4 Ignition

Adjustment for ignition timing is +4/-11 degrees. Timing is adjustable from 2,000 rpm to redline at all throttle positions. On street bikes with normal fuel, advancing the timing does little to improve power. It is possible on some models to achieve small gains as long as the highest octane fuel available is used. (note adjusting ignition timing can cause detonation and can damage the engine that is why high octane fuel is recommended with ignition changes)

pc11.jpg

pc12.jpg

My motorcycle backfires when decelerating so I adjusted the MP table for low rpm, by setting the fuel settings at -12 at zero degrees throttle for 2000 rpm through 8000 rpm, also similar for 2% throttle open. It seems to make a difference without losing power on the rest of the powerband, I did not adjust the rpm range from 500 to 2000 since that is the idle range.

Guest Sasrocks

Miguel;

Your explanation of the control center setting was excellent.  I've been experienceing popping as well in deceleration and was going to try a different map or explore custom tuning.  But I will look into my current map and make incremental changes in the MP table as you described.  

I have a 99 with TBR slip on and K&N.  I am using the Micron / K&N mapo off the PC web site (003 I think).  Did you say you tried the TBR map off their web site (it specifies stock filter?)  Also, in the screen shot you posted it looks like 0's. Is this the map before you modified it? And leaning it out eliminates the popping?  I dunno, I figured that meant it was too lean.

sasrocks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redryan

Dumb question.... :P:

Do the sellers install the map for you, making it a simple plug-in procedure?  In other words, If I buy a PCII from TBR for a '98 VFR with TBR slip-on and K&N filter, will I be able to plug it in and ride?

The reason I'm asking this is I don't have a laptop (or access to one), so downloading a map while the PCII is installed won't work.

Hmm....maybe I can get a 50ft serial cable and install the thing in my driveway with the cable out the 2nd story window....lol.  :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using the map from TBR's website that's configured for my '99 with a slip-on and K&N filter. I have not had any popping on deceleration since using it. TBR claims it's very close even though it was mapped with a stock filter.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
great write up. Just wanted to make sure it did not get erased by adding a useless post. (I'll need it later)

I'll do the same for 2008, LOL!

But the photos of the installation don't show up anymore. Would Hispanic Slammer care to update those? It would help folks like me (2001 5th Gen).

Thanks.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

This likes the old PC. Have installed mine but getting popping at deaccelrate btw 3000/3500 rpm. At what Throttle should i change the %'s...0 or 2. Also should i increment 2% at a time ?

• Member Contributer

increased the 0-throttle @ 3000 to 3500 from 0 to 4, and also at 2-throttle. it took the popping away but the bike ran like crap. at 3500 on other throttles. starts to "surge" and hesitate. finally the FI light came on. this sucks...any ideas ???

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

should i lean out or rich it at the 0% Throttle...i have moved it +35 and the popping still happens ...feel its got worse on a cold engine.

• 5 years later...

QUESTION? ?? Help please.I am new to forums so excuse my lack of etiquette etc.my problem is pc 2 the fuel tables will only allow +9. am i right in saying i have to change tthrottle position values in those cells eg:i want to add +17 at 2000 rpm how much do i change it to add the extra +8 will it then show +17 or how does it work. 99 vfr 800.