Powder Coating

dude

• Member Contributer

I have a set of catless headers that i'm considering getting powder coated. I was wondering if anyone has had this done and if so how has it stood up over time.

• Member Contributer

I chose to ceramic coat my headers. Powder coating might not hold up to the extreme temps your header will experience.

I had mine coated by Indy Powder Coating three years ago and am still very pleased. Total cost plus return shipping was $125 which included complete prep.

I've heard that unless there is a very thorough prep, the coating will fail.

PM me if you need their contact info.

Jim

Powder coating will not do. Not at all. 400'F is about the outer limits for powdercoat. Fine for your engine sidecovers, but exhaust systems may see upwards of 1000'F.

Ceramic coating is the way to go, and as mentioned above, surface prep is key.

Thorough sandblasting down to white metal, followed by a trip through the caustic bath will give excellent results for years to come.

000_0094.jpg

And depending on the place doing the ceramic coating, they may have different color options you can have added to your headers once the ceramic coating is finished.

I choose a flat black look for mine:

th_JetHot_headers.jpg

I used Jet-Hot and they also have a red and blue coating as well: Link

I've read complaints here from many Jet-Hot users, it seems some of them have had it redone multiple times as the finish kept failing in less then a year, even months. Maybe just a batch of poorly prepped ones? :rolleyes:

Look great when new! :thumbsup:

Surface prep is of 100% importance.

I took my headers to work and sandblasted them myself in our cabinet. Got every freaking nook and cranny absolutely spotless, bare white metal.

Even sandblasted inside the headers as much as I could through every available opening.

Then they should be well-dunked in the old caustic tank for good measure. Remove any residual oils/greases and other contaminants.

Archived