Tools needed

• Drill
  • 1/4" drill bit for metal
  • Screwdriver for bolt
  • Knife or tube cutter
  • pencil or marker

qr13.jpg

Drill out the threads

I used WD-40 on the drill bit to keep the bit from overheating and melting the body work

qr07.jpg

Insert a washer on the QR pin like so

qr04.jpg

Plastic tubing needs to be cut to size, dont get QR pins mixed up. They will each be slightly different depending on how deep the threads are.

qr08.jpg

Mark the point where the QR pin clicks into place

qr09.jpg

Remove the washer and measure the tubeing to correct size

qr10.jpg

I used a tube cutting tool but a sharp knife will do fine

qr11.jpg

It is best if the tubing is a smidge longer than need be for a tight fitting QR pin

qr11.jpg

Install the tube and the washer like so, I cut the eyeglass holder in half then tied the pieces to the inside of the frame with a sailors knot

qr15.jpg

Finished Project

The eyeglass holder matches the cording on my Corbin seat (trick) I have seen another member who used an elastic cord and drilled an access hole I just let it hang out the side. No worries about losing the pins.

smile.gif

http://www.sargentcycle.com/acfastaccess.htm

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Guest jerky1280
Great mod, didn't have to cut the clear rubber piece.  Makes access to under the seat a breeze.  Kind of expensive for what they are, however.

• 10 months later...
  • Forum CEO

fixed the photos, I am getting around to fixing all the photos in these old how-to's. First I have to upload them to the server, that is if I can find the backups. Some I have to rename cause they have old file names from the camera I used, but then changed the names when I originally posted on the ikonboard forum. Then some have html in the post I have to remove, sucks ass to do that bunch of gobbly gook code I have to remove first, and some are all out of order after I redo them and they come out looking out of plac. Some have the descriptions on top of the photos instead of on the bottom. Its a mess, the old photo server I was using just dropped my account for no reason and so there are a lot of these old posts with dead pictures. It takes almost more time to redo them than to just delete the darn thread and start over.

• 2 months later...
Guest jerky1280

I HIGHLY recommend installing something to keep the pins attached to your bike. I lost mine; read my earlier comment about how expensive they are to replace!

• 3 months later...
  • Forum CEO

You can save about $4 if you order the pins from McMaster-Carr they have the same pins for about $15.26 each but then you need the rubber backed washers and a piece of 1/4 diameter tubing to space the pins tight.

http://www.mcmaster.com

90985A_200dimension.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Part Number: 90985A112 $15.29 Each

Material Type

Stainless Steel

Finish

Plain

Stainless Steel Type

Precipitation-Hardened Stainless Steel

Pin Type

Quick-Release Pins

Quick Release Pin Type

High-Profile Push-Button

Diameter

1/4"

Diameter Tolerance

-.0015" to -.003"

Usable Length

1"

Usable Length Tolerance

?.020"

Double Shear Strength

9,200 lbs.

Rockwell Hardness

C40 for the shank and spindle. C58-C62 for the balls.

You can get rubber backed washers with 1/4 holes for about 20 cents each and a two inch long piece of tubing for about the same. save yourself some money to afford a sandwitch for lunch. McMaster has different style pins too and various lengths, the 1/4 inch diameter is what you need, and about an inch usable length if you want a different type of quick release pin.

92385A_200dimension.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

recessed might be safer to prevent loss by brushing up against things

92384A_200dimension.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

D ring

92851a_200dimension.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

High tenstion 4 ball design

92490a711_200dimension.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

this one has a T handle and lanyard built in

98700a_200ringphoto.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

this one has a spring loaded ball with a shoulder built in to prevent pushing in too far

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest cbxfixer

Have had them for years - cant bring myself to install them. The "Frankenbolts" take a bit more effort to remove and I store some fairly costly hardware under my cowl (two piece Sargent seat with the rear section removed). Maybe they are just enough to "keep an honest man - honest".

Best regards,

John

Edited by cbxfixer

• 4 weeks later...

Why not get the 3/16 pins from McMaster and avoid the drilling? :idea3: I am thinking of installing the sargents but I dont' want to drill out the threads.

Has anyone tried this?

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

i am confused? (again!) i have a y2k and removing the seat has nothing to do with these bolts. when i commute with the bike i use these bolts to tie on my lunch box (six pack cooler(got to have good lunch)). i fail to see any benefit (but i'm married so what do i know!)

i have noticed that in hs how-tos the pic are always excellant however; the most trick thing here is in the finished project photo has a shadow photographer :thumbsup:

Guest atlantic
i am confused? (again!) i have a y2k and removing the seat has nothing to do with these bolts. when i commute with the bike i use these bolts to tie on my lunch box (six pack cooler(got to have good lunch)). i fail to see any benefit (but i'm married so what do i know!)

i have noticed that in hs how-tos the pic are always excellant however; the most trick thing here is in the finished project photo has a shadow photographer :thumbsup:

They lock the seat cowl into place. Don't need them to remove the seat. Helpful if you take the seat cowl on or off very often. This mod was done to my bike by the previous owner.

• Forum CEO

If your rear cowl is on - frankenbolts included - go right ahead and try to remove the seat without removing the frankenbolts?! Unless you have a 6th gen? You have to take off the rear cowl to take off the seat, which means remove the frakenbolts. Not a big deal if your not needing to get under the seat all the time. Frankenbolts require you to carry a hex key or a flat head somewhere (not under the seat with the toolbag)! For me it was just easier to do the mod, after having lost a frankenbolt on the road, after not torquing it enough with my crappy flat head screw driver in my tankbag.

• 1 year later...
Frankenbolts require you to carry a hex key or a flat head somewhere (not under the seat with the toolbag)!

Or a nickel works great too.

I still think this is cool mod though!

Edited by D4N

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest OldWriter

I just installed a used like new cowl on my 99. It is so nice looking that now I would not DARE use the Frankenbolts as a Bungee cord tiedown. Wouldn't dare damage that nice red paint. I am thinking about the quick release pins as a result of not needing a tie down point.

• 6 months later...