Adding Superbike Bars To Your Bike

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

It's done and I love the results. Still great handling in a much more comfortable position. Throttle works well except at the extreme end of turns. That can probably be worked out with time and patience. Total cost was in the $150 ballpark. Great deal when compared to Helibars, etc.

Pics?

• Member Contributer

With the ST1100 cables I am stuck because the bracket that holds the threaded ends in place is too far. I took it to my fathers machine shop and brought it forward about an inch, but I haven't had a chance to install yet because of work. For the choke you can try removing the airbox and rerouting the cable directly to the left handle bar on top of where the throttle cables run through to goto the right hand side. I tested this from lock to lock with my spiegler kit and it does not bind.

you need to move the lock nut ahead to get more slack

ST1100 Throttle cable fitting

Guest gwcrim

P6150089-1.jpg

P6150090.jpg

P6150091.jpg

P6150092.jpg

P6150093.jpg

P6150094.jpg

P6150095.jpg

The risers I got were Outlaw brand from Ebay. They are threaded for studs so I got socket head bolts and ran them up through the holes in the upper clamp. Put good amount of blue Loctite on as well. When I ran my cables, I used a heavy gauge wire and pulled the old ones through from the top then ran the new ones back down. Worked really slick Clearance is tight but certainly adequate. Probably 1/4 inch.

Did Deals Gap last week and was very satisfied.

Guest gwcrim

Try putting the cables on the lower end first and then on the throttle tube. You have to have the bars out of the risers too. That was probably the toughest part of the job.

Edited by gwcrim

I just ordered Renthal 756 (high bars) bars to put on my 5th Gen. What year ST1100 and what cables will cross fit?

What's the difference in the 755 and 756 bars?

thx

Guest gwcrim

There are three different Renthal street bars. Low, med, and high. I got the high ones. If you look at their website they give the dimensions.

There are three different Renthal street bars. Low, med, and high. I got the high ones. If you look at their website they give the dimensions.

Thx, I've seen that, but no ref to thoses numbers 755, 756, etc. Those are the hi ones then, ok.

BR

Thx, I've seen that, but no ref to thoses numbers 755, 756, etc. Those are the hi ones then, ok.

BR

They have dimensions here:

LINK

http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.asp?tabtype=5&productid=0&appid=ROAD&zone=&biketype=&manufacturer=&model=&bikedate=

BR

They have dimensions here:

LINK

http://www.renthal.c...odel=&bikedate=

Thank You!

• 2 months later...

I noticed both of you guys that posted pics of your setups (5th and 6th gen) that your triples are dropped about an inch down the forks? Is that for any specific reason?

That is the way they come from the factory. The clip ons mount above the top triple tree cclamp.

Probably an illusion. Because that's where the stock clipons would attach, so without them in place, you see the fork tops sticking up above the triple.

But some people do raise the forks up about a half inch for quicker steering.

An inch would be HUGE.

Ah ok. I was looking at doing the conversion, is it 100% that new throttle cables are needed? I took a look at mine, and it looks like they could possible be re routed to allow for the extra bar height and rise. If not, no big deal, which year(s) ST1100 cables fit? All of them?

This is for a '98, would I need to re route the 'choke' cable?

Edited by silverbullet132

• Member Contributer

Just ordered the TAG risers OP used, Renthal 755 bar in black, and Oberon 14mm bar ends. Hopefully I do not need extended cables due to buying the 755 instead of the 756.

Where did you find the risers at? Been considering doing this instead of the Speiglers on my wife's 07 but using OE handlebars.

Just ordered the TAG risers OP used, Renthal 755 bar in black, and Oberon 14mm bar ends. Hopefully I do not need extended cables due to buying the 755 instead of the 756.

Where did you find the risers at? Been considering doing this instead of the Speiglers on my wife's 07 but using OE handlebars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-5mm-Riser-Handlebars-Clamp-Kit-Steering-Stem-Honda-TRX250R-250R-86-87-88-89-/400296357552?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3385aeb0&vxp=mtr#ht_4096wt_1163

• 6 months later...
Guest Deeds

I'm looking into this mod, and I have a question. How far in from the ends of the 755 bar did you drill the holes? Also, just to double check on the materials needed; I need a Renthal 755 bar, the bar risers (found on Ebay), washers and rubber spacers for vibes, and ST1300 throttle cables. Anything I am missing? I am working with a 5th gen.

The LSL kit fits with no change of lines or cables needed. They just have to be rerouted a bit.

It has the handlebar and 2 pairs of clamps, some associated bolts and that's it.

Supply grips and bar ends of your choice, and install.

It's pricier than rolling your own at about $300, but a nice solution, looks and works good.

Much more comfortable. I'm happy with mine. :cool:

Guest Deeds

The LSL kit fits with no change of lines or cables needed. They just have to be rerouted a bit.

It has the handlebar and 2 pairs of clamps, some associated bolts and that's it.

It's pricier than rolling your own at about $300, but a nice solution, looks and works good.

It does look nicer (I dig that triple tree) but I'm not really convinced that it's worth the $300, so I am still going for the cheaper alternative.

I have another question for those who've done what the OP did; can I use the OEM bar ends?

It does look nicer (I dig that triple tree) but I'm not really convinced that it's worth the $300, so I am still going for the cheaper alternative.

I have another question for those who've done what the OP did; can I use the OEM bar ends?

I saw it as one of those do you have more money or more time deals.

Maybe I should have found more time. The final tab including install by shop was about $500. :wacko:

But, what's done is done. No going back. Good thing I like the result. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Has anyone done this on a 4th gen?

Yes (and not by me) but only as a streetfighter or a naked bike. The problem is the fairing pocket is so tight that even the LSL kit says fairing modification is required. I bought a used set without cables but haven't installed it. I may try and find another bar that will allow it to work without cutting the fairing, but in the meantime, it is hanging on the wall above my workbench.

Here's a pic from Spiegler website where you see the fairing has been cutback: http://www.spieglerusa.com/handlebar-conversion-kit-4270.htm