Adding Superbike Bars To Your Bike

FotoMoto

Guest gwcrim

Also, for anyone else considering this mod, ST1100 cables are about 4" longer than the 5th gen/6th gen cables and have the same free length, which makes them a good way to get that taller bar set up properly.

I just ordered Renthal 756 (high bars) bars to put on my 5th Gen. What year ST1100 and what cables will cross fit?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gwcrim

I'm way into doing this project. So far everything seems to be able to fit except the throttle cables. Fotomoto or anyone else who has done this........ did you replace the throttle cables or reroute them?

I'm way into doing this project. So far everything seems to be able to fit except the throttle cables. Fotomoto or anyone else who has done this........ did you replace the throttle cables or reroute them?

I got a longer throttle cable from the Helibars folks. Only needed a 1/2" or so, iirc. In any event, Helibars sells/sold a longer cable that did the job.

Guest gwcrim

Thanks a bunch. So far I've done all the work without removing even the windsheild. Upper clamp is drilled (I did remove that) and it looks like the master cylinders will clear. Should be done, including new grips and cables for about $150. Running new cables may be tricky with the fairings on though.

Guest gwcrim

I just ordered a used set of ST1100 cables and the throttle assy from Ebay. I really can't see how anyone could reroute the stock throttle cables successfully. I'm planning a trip to Deals Gap in a week and would rather be safe than sorry. Sure hope I can get this project buttoned up by then.

Edited by gwcrim

Guest gwcrim

It's done and I love the results. Still great handling in a much more comfortable position. Throttle works well except at the extreme end of turns. That can probably be worked out with time and patience. Total cost was in the $150 ballpark. Great deal when compared to Helibars, etc.

Also, for anyone else considering this mod, ST1100 cables are about 4" longer than the 5th gen/6th gen cables and have the same free length, which makes them a good way to get that taller bar set up properly.

I just ordered Renthal 756 (high bars) bars to put on my 5th Gen. What year ST1100 and what cables will cross fit?

What do the 756 bars look like?

Very nice! Where to buy the clamps for the handle bars? Would the 919 bar fit? This is my next mod, half the price of Heli bars!!

Wondering the same, found and ordered a set of handlebar risers off ebay for $30 yesterday to at least get started.

BR

Tag or Driven brand risers are a good place to start, bars are pretty universal, as long as the riser and bar sizes match. 7/8" vs 1 1/8"

If you want to go middle-of-the-road on price, buy the Spiegler bar and extended line kit as spec'd in their kit. Then adapt to your triple clamp using your own aftermarket risers.

Tag or Driven brand risers are a good place to start, bars are pretty universal, as long as the riser and bar sizes match. 7/8" vs 1 1/8"

If you want to go middle-of-the-road on price, buy the Spiegler bar and extended line kit as spec'd in their kit. Then adapt to your triple clamp using your own aftermarket risers.

Thanks Seb!

Looking on ebay Tag didn't really show up, I'll try the other.

I bought a set of these, they are 22mm rise so i'm not sure of what bend of bars I would want or need yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170856046745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I was thinking of wider flatter bars to get more leverage on the bars (less effort) and even more upright than my Heli's.

Guess I need a Wing! :rolleyes:

BR

Those look just like my Driven brand risers, minus the logo.

You'll need a new pair of mounting bolts, those are too long. No big deal, you just go to the hardware store for the bolts, then load them in your poor man's lathe.

8-16-10009.jpg

The riser bolts have a "D" shape so you need to turn down the hex head and then grind a flat on it. Just use the old ones as a guide like I did here:

8-16-10008.jpg

8-16-10007.jpg

8-16-10011.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

ST1100 throttle cables work ...i have them...routing them is a trick as they hit the dash on the top...so have to route them between the fork tube and the steering T instead

Choke cable is an issues so still hunting for the long ones.

Interesting lathe Seb. I see you have met Necessities Mother of Invention. :beer:

Cheers Lee, I have a real lathe now but the press worked the few times I really needed it! I also used it to kill a couple things, but that got kind of hairy at times.

Guest daemontrym

With the ST1100 cables I am stuck because the bracket that holds the threaded ends in place is too far. I took it to my fathers machine shop and brought it forward about an inch, but I haven't had a chance to install yet because of work. For the choke you can try removing the airbox and rerouting the cable directly to the left handle bar on top of where the throttle cables run through to goto the right hand side. I tested this from lock to lock with my spiegler kit and it does not bind.

With the ST1100 cables I am stuck because the bracket that holds the threaded ends in place is too far. I took it to my fathers machine shop and brought it forward about an inch, but I haven't had a chance to install yet because of work. For the choke you can try removing the airbox and rerouting the cable directly to the left handle bar on top of where the throttle cables run through to goto the right hand side. I tested this from lock to lock with my spiegler kit and it does not bind.

That's because the carb bike cables have more free length in the cable. (ST11 was FI, right?)

Check to make sure you get 100% throttle use with that cable.