Adding Superbike Bars To Your Bike

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

Here's a quick how-to on adding real handlebars to your VFR which opens one up to countless combinations of reach, pullback, height, etc. I've done this mod to two VFR's and one SuperHawk since seeing that my former Bandit1200S had basically an identical setup stock from the factory. Actually it had larger holes for big rubber dampners to help with a bad buzz at highway speeds.

Although you can do the entire mod with the upper triple on the bike (I have), it's much easier in the long run to remove the fairing upper and the upper triple (referred to as the top bridge from here on) to give you more working room. Trust me. :wheel:

Here's what I have been using recently: TAG #4092 +5mm universal mounts, plus rubber spacers (probably from Lowes or somesuch), and lockwashers not included. NOTE: 4091 are standard height and 4093 are +10mm.

IMG_9555.jpg

Next, I drill the top bridge at the casting marks (how convenient) with an 1/2 inch drill bit. Old rubber inner tube around it to lessen scratches from the vice.

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9558.jpg

Next, I add the mounts and bolt in the handlebar while it's still off the bike so I can cinch down the lock washers.

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

Then I remove the bar and the top sections of the mounts (don't skip this step) and slide the top bridge back on the bike. Tightened down the main nut (30mm) then loosely add the throttle assembly and switch gear to the handle bar and loosely bolt the handlebar back again into the lower mounts.

IMG_9563.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

Add the fairing upper and start adjusting everything to fit from lock to lock. Depending on the bar specs you may need to reroute throttle cables, brake lines, and/or switchgear which this renthal 755 bar on the VTEC require all the above but nothing new/longer was needed.

gallery_611_2287_97522.jpg

IMG_9562.jpg

Here's a couple of shots showing the difference in bar bends I've been using. The renthal 755 (upper bar) was on the vtec while the "straight" drag bar (lower bar) I'm using on the 4Gen RCBVFR. Pretty significant difference as you can see. Note the holes drilled to lock in the switchgear.

IMG_9577.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

Here's a couple of comparison shots of a "daytona bend" (low rise) handlebar vs. stock clip ons on my old superhawk. This was the first bike I tried this mod on. The mounts on this one were very high (35mm) hence I got a flatter rise handlebar.

IMG_7722-1.jpg

IMG_7731-1.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice Doug!

What's the part # for the straight bar? It looks like that one would give dimensions(rise) close to stock if used with the standard risers?

I know most on this board would use this mod to raise their bars; I'm looking to convert my VF750F to the straight bar and would like to keep a lower profile.

• Member Contributer
Very nice Doug!

What's the part # for the straight bar? It looks like that one would give dimensions(rise) close to stock if used with the standard risers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLD-MOTORC...71133QQtcZphoto

So as you can see from the price of these bars plus the mounts, you're looking at less than 1/4 the price of LSL setups if you don't need longer throttle cables or brake lines. Inspecting the basically identical handlebar setup on my former Bandit1200S is what got me to try this myself and I've done it to each bike I've owned since then. :thumbsup:

Very nice Doug!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLD-MOTORC...71133QQtcZphoto

So as you can see from the price of these bars plus the mounts, you're looking at less than 1/4 the price of LSL setups if you don't need longer throttle cables or brake lines. Inspecting the basically identical handlebar setup on my former Bandit1200S is what got me to try this myself and I've done it to each bike I've owned since then. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I'm keeping my eyes out for used risers from a dirt bike to use for this mod... should be able to find them for the least amount of $$$.

• Member Contributer
Any problems with fairing interference at lock to lock turning?

On the vtec, none as it's fairing seems to have been designed with higher bars in mind. Its fairing upper "wings" don't curve back like many designs so no issues there. The 755 bar bend is high enough that it clears the top of the tank so no issues there. IIRC, even my large ass tank bag cleared OK too. It may have hit the horn button at full lock but I don't really recall.

On my superhawk, I did have to trim the fairing uppers for full lock. I had all ready gone to max on that bike with VFR clip ons which hit the headlamp switch at full lock but I wanted even more height and especially pull back. My current 4gen RCBVFR is such a mixed bag of parts that it doesn't really matter to others but I have no issues with the tank; however, it's very close on the fairing side so bar pitch/rotation in the mounts and switch/lever setup dictates that.

• Member Contributer
Makes it look like wheelbarrow in my opinion. Each to his own.

I would certainly use a color less conspicuous than gold.

Other than that, I don't think tall handlebars are too out of place on a VFR. The police VFR750P/800P look just fine... except for the mirrors maybe.

I was seriously considering the handlebar mod myself, but I think I'm starting to get used to the stock clip-ons.

• Member Contributer
Makes it look like wheelbarrow in my opinion. Each to his own.

I would certainly use a color less conspicuous than gold.

Other than that, I don't think tall handlebars are too out of place on a VFR. The police VFR750P/800P look just fine... except for the mirrors maybe.

I was seriously considering the handlebar mod myself, but I think I'm starting to get used to the stock clip-ons.

You guys bring up another benefit: you can run whatever color and bar bend you want or even go old skool chrome. Here's another pic of a black bar I've used:

KG9K7937.jpg

I prefer the gold bar on my vfr as it picks up the gold engine cover and 6 piston calipers quite nicely IMNSHO. :salesman:

IMG_9233.jpg

Not meaning to hijack your thread FotoMoto... But your pictures reminded me of the question I had for a while: why do people replace their brake reservoirs with these... things?

Some bikes come like that in the first place, others change them when changing brake calipers(to match piston sizes).

Others may do it for the weight savings, and/or to lend a racing look to the controls.

In the case of my '83, I'm doing this mod to replicate what Honda did to their race bikes back in the day(although I'm keeping the stock gauges).

Stock:

1983_1.jpg

Race setup:

dsc00057pa9.jpg

They must have used the small round res for a reason, because the stock one would have bolted on just as easily...

• Member Contributer

Nice project, but I have a suggestion. First, those lock washers look too big for the bolts. Second, I would have a large flat washer up against the bottom of the mount with the lock washer on top of that. Helps distribute the load across the bottom of the cast aluminum.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
Not meaning to hijack your thread FotoMoto... But your pictures reminded me of the question I had for a while: why do people replace their brake reservoirs with these... things?

brakereservoir.jpg

Good question with at least two answers:

1. It's the matching master cylinder for the 6 pistion gsxr1000 calipers I have on the bike.

2. This design can give more clearance at full lock compared to the traditional design.

I also added a vtr1000f clutch m/c to match #1 and get the benefit of #2.

• Member Contributer
Nice project, but I have a suggestion. First, those lock washers look too big for the bolts. Second, I would have a large flat washer up against the bottom of the mount with the lock washer on top of that. Helps distribute the load across the bottom of the cast aluminum.

Good eye Kurt. They were the closest I had on hand. A larger washer will need to be trimmed to a D shape for clearance. I've also run bolts alone (that's how they come) with threadlock with no prob's.

• Like 1

Guest dee_motard

i've seen one guy who did that mod to his naked cbr600 - he dropped the bike one day and had to change the upper triple, it was bent =\ What is the thickness of the metal in the palce you have drilled the holes? 5mm or more? Now the cbre600 owner uses the cheapest steel bars he can find, because they bend themselves easily without damaging the T.. Another option is to use rubber bushings, like in skateboards..

• Member Contributer
i've seen one guy who did that mod to his naked cbr600 - he dropped the bike one day and had to change the upper triple, it was bent =\ What is the thickness of the metal in the palce you have drilled the holes? 5mm or more? Now the cbre600 owner uses the cheapest steel bars he can find, because they bend themselves easily without damaging the T.. Another option is to use rubber bushings, like in skateboards..

Another good question:

VFR clip on: $118 PER SIDE!

VFR top bridge: $105

Yeah, my current bar came with a small reinforcing cross brace that I removed so the bar end should become the sacrificial lamb in a hard fall and not the bridge (a guess). My former bandit1200s use a setup very similar to the skateboard design you referred to.

Prices from ronayers.com

• Member Contributer

Might be one of those "old as I am" things, but I still like the "feel" of tubular/ upper tree mounted bars. One plus (IMO) of most of the naked bikes including my Speed Triple............ :thumbsup:....also (IMO) clean looks.........

• 3 years later...
Guest slowsupra

In the case of my '83, I'm doing this mod to replicate what Honda did to their race bikes back in the day(although I'm keeping the stock gauges).

Stock:

1983_1.jpg

Race setup:

dsc00057pa9.jpg

They must have used the small round res for a reason, because the stock one would have bolted on just as easily...

Hi Sebspeed, new here and saw this handlebar conversion of yours. Could you give more details or direct me to other posts on VF750F handlebar conversions? Thanks, Jim (slowsupra)

Hi Sebspeed, new here and saw this handlebar conversion of yours. Could you give more details or direct me to other posts on VF750F handlebar conversions? Thanks, Jim (slowsupra)

Sorry Jim, but I never did follow through on that project. I used clip ons instead. You will have a bit of difficulty fitting bars to your 750 triple, as the 750 has a relieved upper triple and finding a spot to bolt the risers will be tricky.

Also, for anyone else considering this mod, ST1100 cables are about 4" longer than the 5th gen/6th gen cables and have the same free length, which makes them a good way to get that taller bar set up properly.

• Like 1

Guest slowsupra

Sorry Jim, but I never did follow through on that project. I used clip ons instead. You will have a bit of difficulty fitting bars to your 750 triple, as the 750 has a relieved upper triple and finding a spot to bolt the risers will be tricky.

Hi Sebspeed, thanks for response. Jim