Twin Exhausts For A 1998 Vfr800

Knife

• Member Contributer

I could use some advice. Is it possible to change out my 1998 VRF800 single exhaust for a dual set up? If so, is there a kit available, or is it necessary to fabricate what's needed and adapt someone else's exhaust? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Could we ask why you want to do it?

Well, I'll bet you it's not because he hates the idea of it... :offtopic:

What type of setup do you have in mind? Underseat(like the VTEC), one per side left/right(low, mid or high mount?), shotgun style(left or right side, staggered or not), change the headers to pair front and rear or left and right banks, etc, etc....

Lots of options. Pick a style and we can help you from there.

• Member Contributer
Could we ask why you want to do it?

I'd hazard a guess and say looks.

Knife,

I've yet to see a complete kit for a dual exhaust ready made for a VFR.

But with a shop capable of cuttinng and welding, the sky is the limit... :thumbsup:

I had an Akrapovic made to fit on my 4th gen, how about a Yoshi?

HPIM4305-1.jpg

I looked at fabbing high pipes on both sides. The idea was to twin the highmount Micron I had on the RH side.

vfr800.jpg

I found there's not enough room atop the swingarm on the LH side for a second can and associated bracketry.

The chain guard and chain run would foul the can at even part compression of the rear suspension.

Besides that, the only practiceable way to route a pipe over to that side is to run it under the swingarm and chain run, and that would compromise cornering clearance. Going up and over the rear tire to the LH side, there isn't enough room up in there.

You could adapt a VTEC tailsection and obviously the exhaust along with it with some welding of the subframe. I don't think anyone's done that yet.

There have been companies that made dual shotgun pipes for the 5th gen. Devil was one. Mig did also. And so did Indigo.

I think all of them are discontinued now though. sad.gif

Devilshotguns.jpg

And then there's this:

th_Picture001-1.jpg

th_Picture002.jpg

• Member Contributer
I found there's not enough room atop the swingarm on the LH side for a second can and associated bracketry.

The chain guard and chain run would foul the can at even part compression of the rear suspension.

Besides that, the only practiceable way to route a pipe over to that side is to run it under the swingarm and chain run, and that would compromise cornering clearance. Going up and over the rear tire to the LH side, there isn't enough room up in there.

How do the RC45, RC30, TBros 3rd-4th Gen accomplish the left hand exit? It seems the general geometry of the bikes are all the same, there must be a way to route a left hand exhaust for the 5G? :offtopic:

How do the RC45, RC30, TBros 3rd-4th Gen accomplish the left hand exit? It seems the general geometry of the bikes are all the same, there must be a way to route a left hand exhaust for the 5G? :offtopic:

Tailsections must be different on the RC30/45 as to the clearances. Made higher from the factory?

Also, the RC30, IIRC had a large "divot" in the exhaust, a sharp kink at the lower chain run to allow the pipe to tuck in closer.

I placed my Micron can, as a test, EXACTLY in the mirror spot on the LH side from where it normally sat on the right, measured from several points on the tailsection, and there was about 2 inches at the closest point from the can to the top of the chainguard. And that was on the centerstand.

Like this, but obviously on the other side:

3670.jpg

Hit a small bump and the chainguard would be occupying the same real estate as the muffler.

You could move it outboard, but it would have to be about 3-4 inches to make a difference. Would look silly hanging out there in the breeze.

Either that or move it WAY backwards, with the can outlet significantly aft of the taillight when viewed from the side.

THAT would look like those ridiculous Easy Rider fishtails sticking into the next county!

easy_rider.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm still stumped why that wouldn't work as well on the 5G bike with the necessary header mods. Anyone have a rear shot or measurement of how far outboard the left pipe sits on the Tbros systems?

BTW, there was only one cool dual exhaust bike in that movie. :offtopic:

panzerbilly.JPG

• Member Contributer
I could use some advice. Is it possible to change out my 1998 VRF800 single exhaust for a dual set up? If so, is there a kit available, or is it necessary to fabricate what's needed and adapt someone else's exhaust? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

I'll be perfectly honest, I want to do this for the look. Underseat (like the VTEC), or one per side left/right (high mount). I'm open to suggestions. And thanks to all for such quick responses!

• Member Contributer

Check the classifieds. VFRCapn has a Wolf system and the custom undertray needed to do the mod.

I would love to, but to many$$$$ for me.

I think the can sits quite far outboard of the tailsection.

Indeed. Here is a pic of a lefty. It stands a lot farther from the tire than a right side exhaust that has a gap of about 1" between them.

asch22007zl4.jpg

Well, it pretty much HAS TO, I mean, to clear that enormous Yellow Billboard of a license plate. <_<

I think you could see that thing on Google Earth! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Just an idea...why not have the crossover pipe flatened where it goes around the tire and then tucked as close (with a bit of heat shielding of course) to the undertray as possible. If it's just for looks then some restricted exhaust flow from the left can should not be much of a problem.

• Member Contributer
Well, it pretty much HAS TO, I mean, to clear that enormous Yellow Billboard of a license plate. <_<

And these are the "new, improved" ones..... (EU logo + NL)

Untill a few years back, these were the compulsary ones:

HPIM4403.jpg

HPIM4403.jpg

Statistically there are more short-sighted Dutch policemen per capita than Guinness drinkers in Ireland!! Look on the bright side, when travelling, you could have just removed the rego plate and, hey presto!! All-weather housing for the bike. Would come in real handy with all that weather you have over there!!!

HPIM4403.jpg

So after spending all that time bobbing your rear fender to perfection, then this is what the Old Bill expects you to put on yer bike??!! :goofy:

And we thought it was crazy here in California....

Beck

How do the RC45, RC30, TBros 3rd-4th Gen accomplish the left hand exit? It seems the general geometry of the bikes are all the same, there must be a way to route a left hand exhaust for the 5G? :goofy:

Tailsections must be different on the RC30/45 as to the clearances. Made higher from the factory?

Also, the RC30, IIRC had a large "divot" in the exhaust, a sharp kink at the lower chain run to allow the pipe to tuck in closer.

I placed my Micron can, as a test, EXACTLY in the mirror spot on the LH side from where it normally sat on the right, measured from several points on the tailsection, and there was about 2 inches at the closest point from the can to the top of the chainguard. And that was on the centerstand.

Like this, but obviously on the other side:

3670.jpg

Hit a small bump and the chainguard would be occupying the same real estate as the muffler.

You could move it outboard, but it would have to be about 3-4 inches to make a difference. Would look silly hanging out there in the breeze.

Either that or move it WAY backwards, with the can outlet significantly aft of the taillight when viewed from the side.

THAT would look like those ridiculous Easy Rider fishtails sticking into the next county!

easy_rider.jpg

Maybe a smaller diameter, round section can, like the ones from Staintune, would work with the right side's limited chainguard clearances better. Looks like that big oval Micron's indeed too deep to use on the left side of the bike.

Beck

95 VFR

• 7 months later...

I know this has been dead a long time but...I would also love to dual out my 5th gen. Perhaps the pipes won't tuck in as close as the right high pipe, but how about some ideas like the old 98ish 900ss hi's or kinda like the TL100r--kinda wide at the bottom and tuck in the higher they go toward the tail section? A pair of D&D's on our bikes, with the sick V4 sound, would absolutely ROCK!

• Member Contributer

I think you could see that thing on Google Earth! :huh:

HPIM4403.jpg

:blush: You're kidding!! You have to ride around with that Glow in the Dark Rudder!! You poor bastage.......

God Bless America..............

• Member Contributer

Some discussion on the RC30 and RC45 lists I'm on suggests that Castrol Honda ran several configurations of exhaust on the RC45 in the late 1990s, including dual-sided exhausts with both the SSSA and a conventional swing arm. And the 5th-gen was based on the RC45 (sorta). So it can be done...especially if you have the budget of a factory WSB racing team!

Ciao,

The RC45's probably had more clearance due to different subframes and increased ride height for racing.

I'm still adamant that there isn't room on the LH side due to the chain run.

Anybody that can prove otherwise, I'd love to see the finished product. :fing02:

Archived