Best Regulator Rectifier For 96 Vfr750

Guest DSMIV

OK folks, this is my first post. I have a 96' VFR750 with 27k on it and what appears to be a bad regulator rectifier. The local shop here in prescott wants 241.00 to order it. I have been all over trying to find the best deal .... so what manufacturer is the best Electrosport, Honda, or Shindegen ... best price? Help! This issue is enough to make me drink again.

Thanks in advance very much!

Your cheapest option would be to buy a used Yamaha R1 regulator on ebay and then wire it into your bike. The R1 R/R only goes for like $20-$30.

There's a couple of threads on the forum about how to do that.

Guest powderrecon

I just had the same thing happen to me, and I did a TON of research on it.

Either you can spend big $$$ and get a new Honda OEM one. They are more beefy, with cooling fins.

Or you can go the way I went and order one from Ricks Motorsports Electrics. Awesome customer service, and an awesome product. They build the product themselves. I have only heard good things about it, and for $120, its a great price. 1 year warranty also.

I did a write up here

http://vfrworld.com/forums/third-fourth-ge...s-included.html

The only think you need to get is a longer bolt to mount it. Go to your hardware store and get a M6 x 35 or 40, put some locktite on it, and you are done.

Its very easy to do yourself. Taking the rear plastics off the bike, actually takes longer than replacing the R/R.

• Member Contributer
Your cheapest option would be to buy a used Yamaha R1 regulator on ebay and then wire it into your bike.

+1.

eBay can be your friend. A few years ago I managed to buy a perfectly working R/R (off a wrecked Gixxer) for $3 plus shipping.

Also, check your local motorcycle boneyards.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Powder and RVFR.

I got the Ricks Motorsports Reg/Rec. a day ago and decided to cut the threaded post that expends from the other side of the fram off. I then drilled another hole just above it, mounting it in the same position. Had to drop the fender to access otherside. Impressive looking compared to OEM.

So now.....

12.9 v just after starting at batt terminals

14.1 v above 4500 rpm

13.2 v on warm up idle

Only problem is with the spade connectors .... green and red wire (1 & 5) would not stay locked into plasic harness that i ordered. I ended up blowing a 30 amp fuse poking them in while it was running. Damn ... I learn more about electrical everyday. I hope I did not just shorten the life of it. But I got the above readings today... so it looks good.

You think I would benefit from some kind of pre-made wiring harness that I see advertised in the forum? I hate the grean and red wires .... they are evil Hope they don't pop out again.

I plan on augmenting and testing the entire electrical system for next project and add some gadgets.

I will try and get pictures when I get a cam.

Archived