Seat Shaving

skuuter

• Member Contributer

By now most everyone knows that I'm only 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I love the way my Speed Triple handles and wouldn't dare mess with it. Backing it into parking spaces up on your tip-toes has always been a real problem. I decided to take the "stocker" to a primarily auto upholstery shop. S&W Upholstery in Tullahoma, Tn specializes in award-winning street rod interiors, and have customers from all over the country. I took it there and showed him where I would like to have an inch shaved out and more of a pocket formed to help keep me from sliding forward. "Fantastic Job"......been riding it today and parking in the worst places I can find to get to push it backwards. Only charged me $45 to do it, and it looks "factory". Some of you other "shorter" folks might wanna' look into this alternative on your bike. The VFR seat would lend itself well to this also. Check out the shops in your area................. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I'm like you Skuuter and very similar in size. I bought another stock seat from a fellow VFRDer and shaved it down. All told, it cost me about $150. I swap out with the shorty to suit a particularly ride. With an inch shaved off, I can flat foot the viffer. The shorty is less comfortable, so I use it mostly for around town riding.

• Member Contributer
I'm like you Skuuter and very similar in size. I bought another stock seat from a fellow VFRDer and shaved it down. All told, it cost me about $150. I swap out with the shorty to suit a particularly ride. With an inch shaved off, I can flat foot the viffer. The shorty is less comfortable, so I use it mostly for around town riding.

I actually think mine is more comfy than before......feels firmer. Some stock seats I like, others have had to be replaced immediately. The S-3 stocker has been fine, and with me "FIRMER IS ALWAYS BETTER"....in a lot of things...... wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I shaved my seat down myself using a regular hand wood saw and some smaller hand saws. It doesn't look that great, but once the seat skin is back on you can't even really tell. Probably the most annoying part was getting the staples back in, but it worked and looks great!

• Member Contributer
I shaved my seat down myself using a regular hand wood saw and some smaller hand saws. It doesn't look that great, but once the seat skin is back on you can't even really tell. Probably the most annoying part was getting the staples back in, but it worked and looks great!

Use an electric carving knife and throw a layer of batting (found in the sewing or crafts section) on top before re-covering.