Info Wanted For Hindle High-mount Exhaust For My '99 Vfr

Guest VFRMagic

Guest VFRMagic

Hello,

I own a '99 VFR800 with a standard-mount Two Brothers Racing muffler. The sound is really nice (loud, but not too loud), but I really want to buy a high-mount system to expose the rear wheel. I have noticed that Hindle apparently makes a high-mount system for the 5th Gen VFR and am interested in purchasing one.

Does anyone have any experience with a Hindle on a VFR? I'm looking for a deep, throaty sound that definitely gets attention (but not too much). Plus, I'm looking for improved low-end and mid-range power, since I rarely have the need to take the bike over 8000 rpm. I'll be purchasing and installing a Power Commander also.

Thanks

Eric

I had one, the sound was nice...on the loud side, but deep and rumbly. The connection is nice in that it uses the exhaust hanger point to mount so it doesn't leave that hole blank on your footpegs like many other high mount systems. The 18" can is the one to get, the 20" one is too long and looks off on the VFR. I found I didn't need a power commander. I had it dyno'd and the graph was fairly smooth the tech said it wasn't worth it. made 100.5 hp with the pipe, no snorkel, and stock filter. Bike had 50K on at the time.

Hello,

I own a '99 VFR800 with a standard-mount Two Brothers Racing muffler. The sound is really nice (loud, but not too loud), but I really want to buy a high-mount system to expose the rear wheel. I have noticed that Hindle apparently makes a high-mount system for the 5th Gen VFR and am interested in purchasing one.

Does anyone have any experience with a Hindle on a VFR? I'm looking for a deep, throaty sound that definitely gets attention (but not too much). Plus, I'm looking for improved low-end and mid-range power, since I rarely have the need to take the bike over 8000 rpm. I'll be purchasing and installing a Power Commander also.

Thanks

Eric

• Member Contributer

I heard a Hindle on an 86 Intercepter a couple of weeks ago, probably the best sounding Viffer i've ever heard. It had an incredible growl but i'm not sure if I could handle the loudness for longer stints, maybe good earplugs would solve that though :beer:

• Member Contributer

I have 20" Hindle on high-mount with K&N & PC. Love it. Especially the 7000rpm coast-down sound. Not too loud, but definitely not stock. Regarding the 20 vs 18" can, I chose the 20 originally to fit the low-mount, then changed to high later. No complaints on the looks; it does not stick out from the rear of the bike. In fact, I think I prefer it due to the symmetry with the rear end. It ends almost exactly as the lights.

I may be guilty of overkill, but I used a stainless steel hose clamp through the rear fender for support. Also had to remove the reflector. Check my gallery. I find I can still use my soft saddlebags, just have to shorten the hang.

No way I would consider going back. High-mount has a lower sound and more burp and gargle than the low, presumably from the longer connection.

I've had a few Hindles...

1. Full 4-1 with 16" AL round race can on my old '85 VF500F - ear-bleedingly loud. Took it to Pocono on a trackday and was getting all sorts of comments about how it could be heard around the entire circuit, even over the likes of race-piped Ducs, Buells and inline-4's. Drowns out straight-piped Harleys in stoplight drags. Completely antisocial.

2. Same 4-1 with 18" AL oval street can - MUCH more socially acceptable. Deep note, considerably quieter than above race can.

3. 18" AL oval street can slipon on my '96 VFR - Nice, deep, quieter than my high-mount Micron. Definitely recommended.

4. 16" AL round race can slipon, '96 VFR - Deep but LOUD at higher RPM. Not for areas with high LEO concentration. Sets off car alarms.

As you can see, I like Hindle :thumbsup: Just don't get a race can, particularly a short one, if you're concerned about bothering people.

I currently have a high mount 18" stealth model on my '99. Not to loud for the neighbors but it gives off a nice grumble and have had many positive comments on the sound. I also have a PC3 and had a custom map made for it, gained hp and torque. In all I have been very happy with this setup.

• Member Contributer

I've checked into Hindles and there was a sound bite on the forum front page.Veefar has them on his bike as well. I called Street and Competition (518)279-4598 and they gave me prices. Hindles are less than Staintune the last time I checked.You can also go to Hindles website and contact them via e-mail and they will help you with all part numbers. Then you could call Street & Comp. to get your price.

Hope this helps!

And ,YES I to think they sound better than any other system I've heard with or w/o baffles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all who responded to my post :thumbsup: I'm definitely leaning towards the Hindle high-mount with the 18" aluminum can.

How many choices are there for the decibel level of the muffler? Is it either the race core or the street core, and nothing else? I want something that is clearly throatier than stock but not quite as loud as a race-only canister.

Thanks again!

Eric

• Member Contributer
Thanks to all who responded to my post :thumbsup: I'm definitely leaning towards the Hindle high-mount with the 18" aluminum can.

How many choices are there for the decibel level of the muffler? Is it either the race core or the street core, and nothing else? I want something that is clearly throatier than stock but not quite as loud as a race-only canister.

Thanks again!

Eric

Having bought a Jardine race can for my '98 I strongly urge you buy the street can. My race sounds great as long as I wear ear plugs. If you commute like I do, every morning I cringe a little as I drive off. I may have check into the Hindle line as well. :joystick:

• Member Contributer

Thanks again!

Eric

Hindle is known(in Canada) for their race cans. They make both... I think they are Stealth and Supersport?

E-mail them. They will help you make the right choice. Their cans have severals lenghts...14 16. 18 etc.

Archived