Vf1000r Rebuild

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

I'm so glad you have your bike back- I've been considering buying a VF for a couple years and your thread is part of the reason I pulled the trigger this weekend! I've had one motorcycle for 15 years, lots of time and energy/money invested, can't imagine letting it go, and to see you send the 1KR cross country and then get it back 2 thread pages later was a roller coaster! These are beautiful motorcycles- mine needs plenty of work, but I cant wait to get to it this winter. Right off the truck it has a wobble that wasn't there a week ago when I looked at it- guessing it was the trip down in the truck with tie-downs? Once I figure out the best way to get the front up I will loosen everything up and retighten, hoping that is the quick solution. Plan to go through the front end (and other things) properly over winter but was hoping to ride it until then! Keep us posted on how the riding is out in CA, I rode a bike out there once long ago...

Our 2 months of 95 degree+ summer heat is about done so I get a couple months now to hopefully enjoy a few rides before the cold and rain. Would like to respring and revalve the forks this winter, depending on my time and motivation.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Just completed reading this. Thanks to all the contributors to the thread.

I have to say, if feels great to have a VF1000F again. I put 50,000 miles on my last one.

The plan is to get it into 100% mechanical riding shape for the winter with some suspension improvements, and hoping it's a milder winter than we had last year, which was the worst riding winter I remember (been riding in NYMetro area since 1970).

I really like the way the modded bikes look, but right now I'm thinking I'll probably stay pretty close to stock. Yeah, I can hear some of you groaning "what's so fun about that?" lol, but I genuinely liked the characteristics and looks of the original.

And because this is titled as an R rebuild thread, I figured I may as well post a pic of the R that I had.

VF1000R%203.jpg

That tan lump behind it is a 76 Olds 88 ragtop. So that dates the picture around 1991

Bit of an old thread now when I look at the dates but some great information. I found a semi-decent runner today that I will should be able to ride it home in the coming days. They imported the European model to Australia with the twin headlights and square tank

Lots of cosmetic issues and parts missing, but I'm looking forward to stripping it down and paying some close attention. They are getting pretty expensive here in AUS and very hard to find. People are reluctant to sell them so it wasn't cheap.

Thanks for the inspiration and sharing.

post-30134-0-78069900-1410604951.jpg

post-30134-0-24232600-1410605089.jpg

• Member Contributer

That tri-oval exhaust looks terrible on there.

Hopefully you can improve the state of that poor machine

+1

That tri-oval exhaust looks terrible on there.

Hopefully you can improve the state of that poor machine

I agree, it sounds ok but needs a better pipe.

There is work to do all over.

Archived