Remote Start/alarm

Snafu

I remember seeing this bike for sale on ebay like 4 -5 months ago. I agree, the keyless start is cool, but I can't imagine it would come i nthat handy, except for the "cool" factor.

Guest okiengr

I have a keyless remote start alarm system still sitting in the box that I have had for a few years now that I was going to install on an old bike I had but never did. I mainly bought it for the alarm system. The remote start was just a little extra farkle that I thought would be cool to have. It really is a pretty useless device other than like Higgin said it has the "cool" factor. If it had a servo motor or something that was hooked up to the throttle linkage that would allow you to slightly rev the motor, now THAT would be cool and actually become useful if you wanted to start the bike in the cold and not have to go outside to start it and keep the revs up (you guys with the wax units wouldn't have to worry about that though). The one I have does have a safety feature too so no one can just hop on, put it in gear and go. As soon as they try, the ignition system shuts down. It was only like $30. Probably doesn't even work! Now that you've got me thinking about it, I just might get ambitious and get it installed on the 'ol viffer! Hmmmmm..... :beer: It's not doing much sitting in the box!

Edited by okiengr

Guest FLYONWALL9

In my younger years I did several remote starts on cars, and bikes. The handy part

for the bike is to warm it up when its cold out if it weren't an FI bike. Carb bikes are

testy when its cold out and you haven't warmed them correctly. The way the disable

works is if you have it started and don't put in the key before you pull in the clutch it

will turn the bike off. I see no real need to have one if you have an FI bike though.

If your a do it yourselfer like some of us its not at all hard to do, look for shops to

charge up to 200 bucks for the install without parts.

Guest FLYONWALL9
I'm assuming these remote start systems have a fail safe so you can't remote start your bike if it's in gear. :salesman:

Yeah most use a hide away switch to bypass :thumbsup:

In my younger years I did several remote starts on cars, and bikes. The handy part

for the bike is to warm it up when its cold out if it weren't an FI bike. Carb bikes are

testy when its cold out and you haven't warmed them correctly. The way the disable

works is if you have it started and don't put in the key before you pull in the clutch it

will turn the bike off. I see no real need to have one if you have an FI bike though.

If your a do it yourselfer like some of us its not at all hard to do, look for shops to

charge up to 200 bucks for the install without parts.

Typically they bypass the ignition, but the regular safety mechanism that prevents it from starting in gear would be in place. On the VFR they would be VERY easy to wire I would think, but not as useful on the FI models unless you have heated gear that you want warm.

Guest porgie84
I'm assuming these remote start systems have a fail safe so you can't remote start your bike if it's in gear. :salesman:

Yeah most use a hide away switch to bypass :thumbsup:

Yeah when i worked at a Subaru dealer ship, someone had that on their wrx and the mechanic was looking for it in the lot. So he descided to push the alarm button the the key f.o.b. and little did he know that it was the push button start. So it started up IN GEAR and drove though a chain linked fence and into a really deep ditch. Scratched the *&%$ out of the paint and messed up the whole front end of the car. So i'm hoping there's is something to make sure its in nuetral!

So i'm hoping there's is something to make sure its in nuetral!

Like Tightwad said: "the regular safety mechanism that prevents it from starting in gear would be in place".

The bike itself won't let you start it if it's in gear, and the sidestand is down and/or the clutch isn't pulled in.

Regular safety setup aside, if you look at a DEI system there is a wire set up for neutral safety switch. It will not let the car/bike start unless it "sees" a ground. So if you have a bike without the safety features and one was inclined to install a R/S, it is fairly simple. It will need just a relay in most cases.

Guest FLYONWALL9
Regular safety setup aside, if you look at a DEI system there is a wire set up for neutral safety switch. It will not let the car/bike start unless it "sees" a ground. So if you have a bike without the safety features and one was inclined to install a R/S, it is fairly simple. It will need just a relay in most cases.

You could also use the neutral light on the dash as a back up.

The setup is really neat. However, I would much rather have

an alarm with pager, merc tilt and proximity and I really need

that on my bike.

Anyone know what system is on this bike?

Fast fwd to about 1:30 in the video

HEY THATS MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :salesman: :salesman:

Wow this is funny, I bought it off of ebay and LOVE IT! Now Im reading the mods forum and I see my bike! I dont know what system it is. I need to figure it out because others have asked and I would like to know. To be honest I thought it was the dumbest thing ever when I first found out it had a remote start. But I LOVE IT! I use it every time I ride (No joke). To answer what I do know-

No it will not start if it is in gear or with the kickstand down (I could just see my bike riding off in the the sun set by its self because I sat on my keys and started it while at dinner :joystick: ). Once you start it it will run for 5min unless you put in the key or press the start button on the remote. I love being able to walk out of the store and start my bike 100ft away! Yes it is mostly the "cool" factor but truth be told but I feel it's the way of things to come. Maybe not remote start but key less start for sure. Maybe Im just lazy :goofy: