Volt Meter

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

LED Voltage Gauge

2506.jpg

A precise, continuous way to monitor your bike's alternator output and battery condition. An essential instrument if your bike has bigger or extra lights, or other powered accessories. It uses a solid state, ultra compact design that is extremely durable and completely waterproof. This voltmeter fits anywhere and comes with two interchangeable, numbered faces so it can be positioned horizontally or vertically. Indicates from 9.3V to 14.8V using a ten segment multi color bar graph readout. Small electrical system changes are noticeable at a glance. 1.85" x 2.8" x .5"

CAT. NO. 2506 $ 57.00

http://www.aerostich.com

I bought one of these volt meters because I have so much stuff on my bike, heated grips, duel burn head-lamps, and electric vest. I had an embarrassing event in Denver where my bike wouldn't start in a group ride, now I know when I need to charge my battery.

Installation

attach the power leads to the unit

volt1.jpg

volt2.jpg

Drill hole for the wires

volt3.jpg Shoot the wires thru the hole

volt4.jpg

The unit has 2 screw holes with self tapping screw and a face plate fits over the holes, the unit is water proof, I hooked up the leads to my relay system, however the manufacturer states you can attach it to your battery directly the amp draw is so small that the battery will not drain overnight, sure I don't believe that so I set it to my key.

volt7.jpg

When I start up the motor the LED jumps up and down when the revs go up and drop

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I noticed that you had one of these installed and was actually going to look for your install guide.  

But really, you are a pessimist thinking that a VFR will have electrical problems, I have never heard one case of an electrical glitch on these machines (cough, cough, ahem)  :D

• Forum CEO
Glad you made it home safe Spinalator it was nice to meet you in person. ?You know I had on the heated vest and the heated grips that trip quite a bit and the meter reveled that I have a bad stator (posted details elsewhere) ?If I did not have the meter, imagine getting stranded in central wyoming with a dead battery and bad stator cause I would have gone on juicing it up with the heaters? ?I did some adjustments and was cautious enough to make it home and test it.

Yup, voltmeters are a good thing. Wish Honda had've included that info on the LCD info panel. At least if you could toggle from tripmeter to voltmeter or something......

I've got the I4C voltmeter on mine. No dancing coloured LED's, but the install was certainly easier. And, you get the voltage readout in digital format to 1/100th of a volt.

http://www.i4cproducts.com/c-volt.htm

CV100C_2002_Batt_and_nichol.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I also have an I4C. At idle, mine reads about 12.2v and at a 5000rpm cruise, it reads a solid 14.4v. Is this a little low? The r/r and the battery are only a year old. I have had no starting problems, even in cold weather in the winter, and the voltage is very consistent. Do the 4th gen voltages run lower than the 5th gens? Should I go out and buy another R/R? :wheel:

Sorry for the hijack.

Guest WaterMan

Yikes, I guess I officially classify as an Olde Phart (at 31!) - who was "hijacked"?! I thought we were talking mo'sickles

Anyway - my 2K reads 12.something at idle when warm. When first started and idling a few rpm higher it reads 14.39 then jumps to 14.40 at 5000K. Wierd. But, hey, it's consistently above 12, so I'm not askin questions.

:D

• Member Contributer

I currently have one of the digital volt meters from C&D technologies.

http://store.cd4power.com/cgi-bin/cd4power...67/Catalog/1042

dcvolt_graphics.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I do not have it installed yet, I am thinking of going another route. I have been looking at killing two birds with one stone. The temperature gauge on the 4th gen is next to useless in that you cannot really tell what the temperature is. I have been thinking about cutting out the factory temperature gauge and installing a multi-function digital gauge from Dakota Digital that can monitor coolant temperature and voltage. The gauge is 2 1/16" which is roughly the same size as the space the factory coolant gauge takes up. If this works out I may convert the entire dash to digital gauges. It would be rather expensive but, that has never stopped me before B)

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/pag...prod/prd331.htm

prd_zm_331.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• 1 month later...

So, I have not seen anywhere on the C&N site that says those meters are waterproof. Are they? I guess they must be if you all are installing them.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

In my quest for voltmeters I bought one of those Ebay ones. It was way too big. I also tried the Stinger ones, which are 2 wire...the part that lit up and said Stinger was bigger than the part showing the voltage. I finally settled on the one I am currently using because it was tiny and fit in the pod panel. It has a seperate regulator, but that is easy to mount anywhere behind the gauge.

The Daytel ones look nice, nicer than mine in fact, but are not as easy to find and I wasn't ready to drop $50 to see if I liked it.

• Member Contributer

Linky=> http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg44/Knife-123/Gauge.png

I like the analog look, rather than digital. I recently installed this one (see link above). It's small, back-lit, and the decal is easily removed. I think I paid about $12.00 for it.

• Member Contributer

Datel digital volt meters are water proof. I have had mine for over a year now in the rain and everywhere else and no issues. The prices have gone up a bit but it is still an excellent product. Easy 2 wire install. Only thing I have noticed is if the wires are backwards the meter will not turn on but it is shielded so it wont damage it.

Click the link below

Datel Volt Meters

• Forum CEO

Another post dug up from the dead, I have long since replaced that voltmeter - which was advertized as waterproof. One ride through the fog in San Francisco proved that wrong. I now use a simpler voltmeter.

01050.jpg

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

gallery_491_2692_81670.jpg

Led on the top left is the volt meter, led on the right is for heated grips, and vest (green grips / red vest)

• Member Contributer
Another post dug up from the dead, I have long since replaced that voltmeter - which was advertized as waterproof. One ride through the fog in San Francisco proved that wrong. I now use a simpler voltmeter.

01050.jpg

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

gallery_491_2692_81670.jpg

Led on the top left is the volt meter, led on the right is for heated grips, and vest (green grips / red vest)

:fing02:

gallery_2922_2278_66112.jpg

100_4330.JPG

I have a Martel on the way. Its "splash proof" and small and only 40$. Only down side is its not backlit, but my blue dash lights up enough to see it I think.

Got one, and after looking at it, decided not to mount it on the bike. It looked less than splashproof.

This is what I did with it instead:

gallery_554_345_415338.jpg

000_0079.JPG battery charger mod

Instead, I bought an I4C TOTALLY WATERPROOF (as in submersible) voltmeter.

Too bad they're out of business though, I love mine. Hope it lasts a long time.

I've since remounted it in another location, but here is is:

gallery_554_564_80451.jpg

100_0589.JPG

I have a Martel on the way. Its "splash proof" and small and only 40$. Only down side is its not backlit, but my blue dash lights up enough to see it I think.

This is what I have on mine and, so far so good. I have washed the bike and ridden it in rain without any ill effect. I don't cover it, but I don't intentionally spray water directly at it either.