Pictures Of My New Mods.

Smola67

• Member Contributer

Well I posted up a while back after my 1400 mile FJ Rally that I was looking for some Heli-bars. I got a response from someone that wanted to trade me his Hawk GT bars for my bars. Well I got the bars and they were a little rough so I sanded em down, painted, and shot them with some clear. They look great! As for this new riding position it is much more comfy than stock, only problem is that now I am getting serious wind buffeting around my head. I put my stock windscreen back on and found that the wind was hitting me directly in my chin. So I took a chance and cut on a perfectly good MRA touring screen. I just lined up the stock screen holes over the MRA holes and then move the stock one down 2 inches. Taped both together and used the stock one as a template and traced a pattern as to cut by. As for the wind, I am not sure what it will do b/c I hav not ridden but will report back tonight. Next my boot has been melting on my exhaust so I found a heat shield, you can see it if you look carefully in the pics. Black Pazzo's with red lever to come next.

Enjoy the pics.

Smola

gallery_10225_2825_1037509.jpg

DSCF0010.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_564961.jpg

DSCF0009.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_95806.jpg

DSCF0008.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_285066.jpg

DSCF0007.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_544624.jpg

DSCF0006.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_1088953.jpg

DSCF0005.JPG

I'm surprised not more people do the Hawk GT bar conversion instead of the aftermarket Helibars. They look like OEM after being painted and the rise on the Hawk bars seem to be enough to satify most needing a more upright position on their VFRs.

Nice Work!

Beck

95 VFR

Good work! :thumbsup:

Just a suggestion: if you find the new screen has some turbulence off it, take the bead off the edge. I guess you've put it there to cover the cut edge, but you should be able to get that smooth with some very fine sandpaper. I found with my VF500 that taking the beading off made a big and very noticeable difference to the turbulence over the screen. I did this after reading an article about Alan Cathcart test-riding Aaron Slight's RC45 and another one (John Cozinski?) and finding that the beading Aaron put on his screen so he could see the edge and wouldn't hit his helmet on it made for much more turbulence. So, I took mine off, and Bingo! (A game for old people.)

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer

Just a suggestion: if you find the new screen has some turbulence off it, take the bead off the edge. I guess you've put it there to cover the cut edge, but you should be able to get that smooth with some very fine sandpaper. I found with my VF500 that taking the beading off made a big and very noticeable difference to the turbulence over the screen. I did this after reading an article about Alan Cathcart test-riding Aaron Slight's RC45 and another one (John Cozinski?) and finding that the beading Aaron put on his screen so he could see the edge and wouldn't hit his helmet on it made for much more turbulence. So, I took mine off, and Bingo! (A game for old people.)

I may find this to be the case. After cutting I took a file to the edge and it is very smooth and looks very good. I put the lip cover on just b/c it was supplied by MRA. It may have to go.

I may find this to be the case. After cutting I took a file to the edge and it is very smooth and looks very good. I put the lip cover on just b/c it was supplied by MRA. It may have to go.

I was interested to look at the screen on a friend's Suzuki RF900. Whereas the VFR has a moulded beaded lip that sticks up into the airflow (and thereby creates potential/real turbulence) the RF has the bead on the underside of the screen, where it still supplies rigidity but not at the expense of aerodynamics.

Guest ToddACimer

It looks like your forks are slid up the triples about 1/2" if the bike was at stock height would the bars contact the windshield or anything else?

• Member Contributer
It looks like your forks are slid up the triples about 1/2" if the bike was at stock height would the bars contact the windshield or anything else?

No problem with clearance. At stock height I had no problems. I actually have the forks slid up as far as I can with just enough clearance. The raised bars also allowed me to angle my levers down some which have made things even more comfy.

Also took it for a spin last night and no more buffeting. It was strange to ride with less noise around the helmet and I was even able to hear the bike more. Now I just have to get used to the regular wind noise instead of buffeting noise.