Wiring Harness Recall

Guest stinger03

Guest stinger03

Has anyone gotten any new updates of when Honda will have the parts available to fix the recall on 2002-2005 models with the wiring defect?

• Member Contributer

I called my local Honda dealership again yesterday (10-2-07), and the service manager said that they still haven't even gotten any notification of a wiring harness recall on the VFR yet, let alone any replacement parts. He said to check in next week. I've started a calling strategy of every other day, though. I don't know if my strategy will work, but hopefully they will get tired of my calling and maybe take some responsibility to call Honda on the subject. Both the rep. I spoke to from Honda and the service manager still say that I should just keep riding, regardless of what the recall letter says. Of course they say that's just their opinion, and the burnt mark on my wiring harness will probably not cause any harm to me or the bike ("Since it's an 02 and hasn't caused any harm yet, then it probably won't in the future").

• Member Contributer
I called my local Honda dealership again yesterday (10-2-07), and the service manager said that they still haven't even gotten any notification of a wiring harness recall on the VFR yet, let alone any replacement parts. He said to check in next week. I've started a calling strategy of every other day, though. I don't know if my strategy will work, but hopefully they will get tired of my calling and maybe take some responsibility to call Honda on the subject. Both the rep. I spoke to from Honda and the service manager still say that I should just keep riding, regardless of what the recall letter says. Of course they say that's just their opinion, and the burnt mark on my wiring harness will probably not cause any harm to me or the bike ("Since it's an 02 and hasn't caused any harm yet, then it probably won't in the future").

To be honest, I don't think that calling them every other day will accomplish anything other than annoy the heck out of them. A recall is a big logistical operation and I sorta expect the "wheels" to turn slowly.

I also have an 02 and it is still alive (knock on wood). It's been fine for 5 years and I suspect that this recall will not fry its wires all of a sudden.

Although, it would be extremely funny if my next post goes something like this: "You know how I said that nothing would happen? WELL... Guess what just happened :o "

• Member Contributer

Good point Rice. I guess I still have to take the bike in eventually to get fixed- so I probably shouldn't annoy them too much. I wish they could just send the parts to us to fix ourselves. Let's hope nothing goes wrong, that brown mark on my wiring harness makes me a little nervous though sometimes. I just want to ride without worrying about it. Riding season around here is quickly coming to an end.

To be honest, I don't think that calling them every other day will accomplish anything other than annoy the heck out of them. A recall is a big logistical operation and I sorta expect the "wheels" to turn slowly.

I also have an 02 and it is still alive (knock on wood). It's been fine for 5 years and I suspect that this recall will not fry its wires all of a sudden.

Although, it would be extremely funny if my next post goes something like this: "You know how I said that nothing would happen? WELL... Guess what just happened :o "

Mone is an '03 and haven't noticed any of the symptoms stated. I think I will also keep riding and just keep the lights on low and ride during daylight hours

• Member Contributer

Just do the ground wire fix detailed in the electrical problem info post. It will be at least as good of a repair as Honda is going to do, costs about $2, and takes under 15 minutes. Most of which is removing and reinstalling the side fairing.

• Member Contributer

This is exactly why I went ahead and bought Tightwads VFRness. No need to worry about when they will have the parts ready... or how long it's in the shop... plus now I have an accessory box. $80 or have the bike in the shop for a completely undetermined amount of time - the answer is pretty easy.

Archived