Rc211v Replica

Guest vfrrider

Guest vfrrider

OK, I've been running my mouth about this project, but I've been gathering parts.

So far:

1. 1986 VF1000R motor, supposedly in good shape (I never really trust that statement, it will get freshened prior to start-up).

2. 1997 VFR frame (thanks to our member base). with gas tank.

3. 2000 RC51 front end with 2005 front wheel.

4. 1992 VFR swingarm.

5. 2000 RC51 shock with the infamous Ohlins spring. Turns out it is short and only 17kg/mm, but its OK.

6. 2005 VFR rear wheel. Yes, I know, it will be clearanced before mounting.

7. Everything else. CBR1000RR radiator (?), gauges of some brand, clip-ons, and all the rest. Wiring and its associated nightmares last.

Body coming, complete RC211V replica fromTyga. I will PROBABLY run the tail exhaust and right side exhaust.

Tonight, first small victory. I placed the frame over the motor and it fit. Mounting points are pretty close. Working with board member Jim for bolts (trading parts is so much fun).

gallery_293_3378_170214.jpg

Side view, motor just setting in frame at this time.

Placed the swingarm on the frame and ran the pivot bolt through. Looked up the sprocket along the rubber rub strip, and guess what, pointed pretty much right at the drive sprocket. YES. :thumbsup:

gallery_293_3378_13493.jpg

End View

Small victory number one. Now I just need to get the frame mounted to the motor as it sits. yes, It will take a little work, but it looks like at least 2 of the 4 frame bolts will line up. the most seriups offender being the front. it will definitely need it own mount.

Tune in for the next installment, she get a tail, complete with carbon rear subframe.

Larry

VFRwalker, but I'm deadly on these buildups.

Keep those parts coming.

BTW, still got a dynamite chrome 3rd gen wheel set available. And I'm getting hungry. PM me if you're interesed ASAP.

Edited by veefer800canuck

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vfrrider

Why a 3rd gen swingarm. 2 reasons.

One, bolts to the frame, easier to use.

Two, I had one left from a previous transaction. In short, the buyer backed out after the deal was agreed on and I never felt it Ebaying it again. So now Im using it to the best advanatge. I know, if you don't use it in a year, sell or trash it. Just can't break the habit.

Stay tune to this Bat Channel for further developments. Can't wait for the body to get here, but Thailand is a long way away.

Larry

Something evil this way comes.

• Member Contributer

Dammit, now I have another photo thread to salivate and wait over, anxiously hoping for new images....

I seriously am amazed by you guys who just throw together bike parts, it's a kind of ingenuity I could never have....

• Member Contributer
Why a 3rd gen swingarm. 2 reasons.

One, bolts to the frame, easier to use.

Two, I had one left from a previous transaction.

I guess I should have asked, why aren't you using a 4g swingarm with the 4g frame? Having a 3g all ready in house is a good reason!

Guest vfrrider

OK, pics (or at least links to them) added to original post. They're in my gallery now.

Larry

They call me "Projectman". They just don't say I can finish anything, yet.

• Member Contributer

Ohh you know I'm interested in this.... very cool. :blink:

+1.gif Have you seen the 1KR with the sweet exhaust on EBay right now?

I bet if someone wanted a nice header for a 1KR they might buy it at the stupid low price and sell it with a factory exhaust for the same amount.

25c9_12.JPG

Guest vfrrider

Chev,

Already contacted him. Wanted to Buy It Now and fly up (about 80 miles from my corporate offices) and drive it back. He's balking at taking it to meet me at the Honda dealer for a checkup prior to 1650 miles to home. Something's wrong I fear. Haven't heard from him since.

767Fixer,

Having a little trouble finding that perfect 5th cylinder. That would make it a 1250cc. Maybe I'll stick with a 1000cc V4. Besides, what would I do with 270HP anyway?

Update: Tail is on the way. Intail exhaust will probably be a cut down standard can. If that will not work, will be going with shotgun exhaust on the left.

Been looking at the front fairing. Found a local source for a carbon CBR600RR that looks more like the RC211V than Tyga's kit. Inquiry in now for complete front fairing out of carbon. Uses CBR600RR fairing stay and headlights. And since its already been done here, installation should be a snap (or was that crack and pop).

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

Man, between this thread, the Hossack VFR thread, and the Torocharger thread, VFRd has been a goldmine of VFR modification info. :thumbsup:

Keep the updates coming!! +1.gif

Guest nominal_squid
Chev,

Already contacted him. Wanted to Buy It Now and fly up (about 80 miles from my corporate offices) and drive it back. He's balking at taking it to meet me at the Honda dealer for a checkup prior to 1650 miles to home. Something's wrong I fear. Haven't heard from him since.

If I were a little closer I'd offer to have a look-see for you, but I've got my baby-squid every day I'm not working this week. Oneonta isn't all that far from Binghamton at all. It's tempting me too, since I've got a real soft spot for the big VFkR, but no money and too many projects are conspiring against me.

• Member Contributer
I know, if you don't use it in a year, sell or trash it. Just can't break the habit.

Really? I'm in serious trouble, then... +1.gif

Massive, crazy project, gotta love it. Gimme a holler if you can't find a bolt or something like that. (Not to mention a dimension off a fork or swingarm...) I bought several loads of "all the bolts, etc." from various parted-out Hondas last year. It's a good way to never run out of fairing bolts!

Ciao,

Update: Tail is on the way. Intail exhaust will probably be a cut down standard can. If that will not work, will be going with shotgun exhaust on the left.

Been looking at the front fairing. Found a local source for a carbon CBR600RR that looks more like the RC211V than Tyga's kit. Inquiry in now for complete front fairing out of carbon. Uses CBR600RR fairing stay and headlights. And since its already been done here, installation should be a snap (or was that crack and pop).

Larry

VFRrider

Definately keep updating us on the bodywork. I'm really interested in this particular section!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Speaking of bolts...... I bought a box of VF1000R engine bolts off ebay earlier this year. Let me know if you need somethiing. :thumbsup:

Guest vfrrider
Speaking of bolts...... I bought a box of VF1000R engine bolts off ebay earlier this year. Let me know if you need somethiing. :thumbsup:

Chev,

OH, I see now. Now that I ran poor old SA3713 (Jim, big thanks) all over the place with trades and parts, you volunteer parts. Sure send me all the engine mounting bolts, from the crossbolt to all 3 side bolts (each side).

BTW, since you volunteered. Have any idea how to plumb the oil cooler up. There are cast in holes waiting to be tapped, but is that all I need to do? Which is high side?

Anyone else want to volunteer anything? Maybe a hoist to pict up this lump so I can mount the front and back end and wheels and roll it around? If you're close that is?

Larry

VFRrider

Edited by vfrrider

Guest vfrrider
I know, if you don't use it in a year, sell or trash it. Just can't break the habit.

Really? I'm in serious trouble, then... +1.gif

Massive, crazy project, gotta love it. Gimme a holler if you can't find a bolt or something like that. (Not to mention a dimension off a fork or swingarm...) I bought several loads of "all the bolts, etc." from various parted-out Hondas last year. It's a good way to never run out of fairing bolts!

Ciao,

JZH,

Got tired of always looking for fairing quick connect fasteners, finally found a source for Dzus fasteners at the MC parts house. I'll get the number and post them. They APPEAR identical, complete with back halves, if needed.

Larry

VFRrider

Oneonta isn't all that far from Binghamton at all.

My in-laws live in Binghamton(Vestal actually)...small world(but I wouldn't want to paint it).

I wish i had something to offer....if you were local to Dallas I would ask to be allowed to help with the wiring.

Good luck!!

Guest vfrrider

Tightwad,

Yea, Little Elm is SOOOO far away. Oh, don't worry, I'll let you know when the wiring begins. I have all the parts (I think) but I will need help to make sure its all connected correctly. I don't like Mr. Hondas wiring jobs.

Larry

VFRrider

HRC Skunkworks, southern division.

Edited by vfrrider

BTW, since you volunteered. Have any idea how to plumb the oil cooler up. There are cast in holes waiting to be tapped, but is that all I need to do? Which is high side?

IIRC, VF1000RS added an oil cooler to his. Maybe search his posts or PM him.

(waitaminute)

Oh yeah, here it is, prolly not as much info as you would like, I think you're going to need more 411:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...st&p=401549

Guest vfrrider
Larry, what kind of power are you thinking you're going to get from the 1k? What kind of weight penalty are you paying for the larger motor?

Stock the VF1KR was 122 at the rear wheels (?). If I take it to a expert, 140 is easy. But the torque is massive.

Weight penalty, I doubt it. Neither is svelte.

Exhaust sound, unbelievable.

It will be a monster. Yes, I know, the CBR1000RR has more HP, lighter, etc, etc.

BUT ITS NOT A V4.

BTW, got the CBR1000RR radiator in tonight. Looks about the same width as the frame. We'll see.

Larry

Something wicked this way comes.

Edited by vfrrider