Staintune Install - Couple Questions

Guest neurosis

Guest neurosis

Hey all. I'm in the middle of installing a Staintune high-mount on my 2001 VFR800 (ordered new from sporttour.com) and I'm a bit boggled by what was shipped to me.

First off - I don't seem to have any bolt to mount the rear bracket to the pipe. What is supposed to go here? I see parts on the packing list that just weren't present when I opened the box - I received no bolts, no washers -- only the pipe, clamp, and mounting brackets.

Speaking of mounting brackets.. I was provided a 'front mount ' (click for pic) - but I have no idea where it's supposed to go. I've looked at similar installs for this pipe on a 5th gen and don't see that piece. It looks like the pipe would install fine without this but it seems odd to me to order something specifically for your bike and have components left over. smile.gif

The rear bracket was quite obvious, but the bolts I have to mount the grab-bars are too long to hold this bracket properly. Are you supposed to provide your own?

• Member Contributer

I have a sixth generation and my Staintunes came with all new mounting hardware.....so that leads me to believe that some parts are missing from you shipment. I can tell you that Staintune customer service is top notch, and if you contact them they will see that you are taken care of. Try adam@staintune.au.

I only have a low-rise which mounts to the passenger footpeg assembly, so I can't help you with your bracket qn.n Have a look at this pic from the Staintune site - it may help:

Honda%20VFR%20800%20High.jpg.

That image is exactly how mine looks. I just can't see that strange bracket fitting in anywhere... The 2 washers and socket head bolt on the packing list I've determined make up the set-screw for the sound restrictor. So there really isn't anything missing in terms of the packing list from Staintune - just nothing to fasten the rear bracket to the exhaust!

Interestingly enough, the bolt from the OEM exhaust clamp fit perfectly in the rear bracket->exhaust, so I was able to use that and just took it for a ride.

All I can say about that sound is.. the beast has been released! I love it!

• Member Contributer

Mine came with a bolt/washer for the rear bracket to muffler attachment. If you need a replacement, they're 6mm x 1 threads (I stripped mine and got some stainless ones from Lowe's).

This piece...

weirdbracket640.jpg

...is to use on the left side if you run the grab handles (so they'll match the height of the right side ones that have the muffler bracket).

The rear bracket was quite obvious, but the bolts I have to mount the grab-bars are too long to hold this bracket properly. Are you supposed to provide your own?

Are you trying to run it w/o the handles (I do)? If so, then you'll have to insert some type of spacer to use the original bolts.

smile.gif

Mine came with a bolt/washer for the rear bracket to muffler attachment. If you need a replacement, they're 6mm x 1 threads (I stripped mine and got some stainless ones from Lowe's).

This piece...

...is to use on the left side if you run the grab handles (so they'll match the height of the right side ones that have the muffler bracket).

Aha, but of course.. Makes sense now. The fact that it was called a 'front mount' on the packing list totally threw me off. I'll have to pony up for a proper replacement for that rear bolt, but that's no big deal.

Thanks!

Archived