Moto Gp Style Exhaust For Only $23

Guest okiengr

• Member Contributer
A message from a rider from the Harley group I was with last weekend:

"... My point is that you have created a sound that Harley riders don't mind allowing to ride with them. Most sport bikes are not welcomed in the cruiser and chopper world."

... if I am still queiter than 80% of Harleys and a lot of other sport bikes, what could I possibly be hurting?

I know, I'm not Kevin, but a couple of points if you don't mind. First, personally, I don't use the Harley/cruiser crowd to check the accuracy of my public relations (or moral) compass. In truth, I don't care for the noise or some number of the folks who make it, so I usually ride where they don't. Reminds me of a line from the movie "Fiddler on the Roof," "may the Lord bless and keep the Czar (or the HD crowd), far away from me."

Second, the fact (assuming it's true) that you're quieter than 80% of Harleys tells me what exactly? That the racket only annoys 60 percent of the non riding public? That you're not AS irritating as 80 percent of HD riders? Look, you may like the sound. Your riding buddies and a fair precentage of the folks here (myself excepted) may like the sound. But the old lady in the Buick and family in the minivan you pass on the expressway probably don't - and soccer moms and blue hairs vote and write letters to their elected officials. Individually, you may or may not be adding that much of a negative impact. You may be (to borrow a Pink Floyd line) "just another brick in the wall." Just don't lose sight of the fact that you're contributing materials to its construction.

ride safe.

jim

A message from a rider from the Harley group I was with last weekend:

"... My point is that you have created a sound that Harley riders don't mind allowing to ride with them. Most sport bikes are not welcomed in the cruiser and chopper world."

... if I am still queiter than 80% of Harleys and a lot of other sport bikes, what could I possibly be hurting?

I know, I'm not Kevin, but a couple of points if you don't mind. First, personally, I don't use the Harley/cruiser crowd to check the accuracy of my public relations (or moral) compass. In truth, I don't care for the noise or some number of the folks who make it, so I usually ride where they don't. Reminds me of a line from the movie "Fiddler on the Roof," "may the Lord bless and keep the Czar (or the HD crowd), far away from me."

Second, the fact (assuming it's true) that you're quieter than 80% of Harleys tells me what exactly? That the racket only annoys 60 percent of the non riding public? That you're not AS irritating as 80 percent of HD riders? Look, you may like the sound. Your riding buddies and a fair precentage of the folks here (myself excepted) may like the sound. But the old lady in the Buick and family in the minivan you pass on the expressway probably don't - and soccer moms and blue hairs vote and write letters to their elected officials. Individually, you may or may not be adding that much of a negative impact. You may be (to borrow a Pink Floyd line) "just another brick in the wall." Just don't lose sight of the fact that you're contributing materials to its construction.

ride safe.

jim

Ok, fine. I see your point. Referencing against a Harley DOESN'T tell you anything. But at the same time, I could have referenced any other kind of bike and it still doesn't change anything. It's all about the way you drive. I could have a stock exhaust and rampage through town, darting in and out of traffic, blowing by people, everything in the book to piss people off. NONE of you would have said ONE SINGLE WORD if I had posted a video with a stocker on there. You would have thought that I was a "fine young chap" and obeyed all rules just because I don't make any noise. You instantly have stereotyped me because of my exhaust. Just because it's more audible doesn't mean I go WOT through town. And what you're saying is that me putting around town like I usually do, obeying traffic laws, using my blinkers, etc., with my audible exhaust is causing more hate and anguish towards motorcyclists from soccer moms and blue hairs than the a$$hole with a stocker who is blasting around terrorizing the towns? Oh, wait a minute! I forgot, he has a quiet exhaust! That makes it ok because old lady blue hair didn't annoyed by the noise when he flew by her car at 100 mph. <_< I'm sure she would sit there and think, "What a generous young lad, so responsible with his quiet little scooter traveling so swiftly." GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!!!!! She doesn't care if you're loud or quiet. She is going to hate you either way. I'm sorry but this has become some of the biggest bunch of crap that I have read on VFRD. :pissed:

But this is the thing that I don't get. I mentioned mine was loud in the video because the wool didn't hold up. Therefore it is going to be quieter than what you heard. But I see some you didn't take notice and began your rants. There are folks on here running gutted exhausts, cut off shorties, and ARC fabricated exhausts. Listen to the shorties, listen to the gutted exhausts, go to ARC's website and listen to what those sound like. Then come back and tell me that they aren't loud! I don't see any of you ranting up those people's a$$e$ about their loud exhaust. Why is that? I don't know. Maybe those people hold a higher degree in the VFRD society because they contribute more than I do? Is it because they are older? Hell I don't know. I will probably never know or understand why some of you have your crosshairs on me! But, if you don't like what I'm doing, ask me, and I will tell you that I DON'T CARE. I am still going to do what I want whether you like it or you don't. I feel that I am in no way "contributing materials to construction" because of my exhaust. I drive with care and respect, but I know you think otherwise because I'm sure you know me better than I know myself. I'm done with this.

• Member Contributer
Ok, fine. I see your point. Referencing against a Harley DOESN'T tell you anything. But at the same time, I could have referenced any other kind of bike and it still doesn't change anything. It's all about the way you drive. I could have a stock exhaust and rampage through town, darting in and out of traffic, blowing by people, everything in the book to piss people off. NONE of you would have said ONE SINGLE WORD if I had posted a video with a stocker on there. You would have thought that I was a "fine young chap" and obeyed all rules just because I don't make any noise. You instantly have stereotyped me because of my exhaust. Just because it's more audible doesn't mean I go WOT through town. And what you're saying is that me putting around town like I usually do, obeying traffic laws, using my blinkers, etc., with my audible exhaust is causing more hate and anguish towards motorcyclists from soccer moms and blue hairs than the a$$hole with a stocker who is blasting around terrorizing the towns? Oh, wait a minute! I forgot, he has a quiet exhaust! That makes it ok because old lady blue hair didn't annoyed by the noise when he flew by her car at 100 mph. <_< I'm sure she would sit there and think, "What a generous young lad, so responsible with his quiet little scooter traveling so swiftly." GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!!!!! She doesn't care if you're loud or quiet. She is going to hate you either way. I'm sorry but this has become some of the biggest bunch of crap that I have read on VFRD. :beer:

But this is the thing that I don't get. I mentioned mine was loud in the video because the wool didn't hold up. Therefore it is going to be quieter than what you heard. But I see some you didn't take notice and began your rants. There are folks on here running gutted exhausts, cut off shorties, and ARC fabricated exhausts. Listen to the shorties, listen to the gutted exhausts, go to ARC's website and listen to what those sound like. Then come back and tell me that they aren't loud! I don't see any of you ranting up those people's a$$e$ about their loud exhaust. Why is that? I don't know. Maybe those people hold a higher degree in the VFRD society because they contribute more than I do? Is it because they are older? Hell I don't know. I will probably never know or understand why some of you have your crosshairs on me! But, if you don't like what I'm doing, ask me, and I will tell you that I DON'T CARE. I am still going to do what I want whether you like it or you don't. I feel that I am in no way "contributing materials to construction" because of my exhaust. I drive with care and respect, but I know you think otherwise because I'm sure you know me better than I know myself. I'm done with this.

:beer: I'm with you.....

I can run my Akra without or with spud

th_akra.jpg

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/Du...view¤t=akra.flv

The spud will make it ~legal, I run it without,

being selective as to where I let it rip.

This is how I had the baffle set up inside the tip originally. As you can see, a lot of the steel wool has bunched up at the end and lots of small holes.

DSC02260.jpg

Drilled larger holes hoping to allow for better sound absorption at the end and more holes at the base to allow more air to escape. Excuse the dirty tip. That's what riding in the rain does for ya.

DSC02261.jpg

Looking down the back end of the pipe. You can see the steel wool packed tightly between the baffle and tip to help seal the gases from coming through.

DSC02265.jpg

Packed with Silent Sport. As you can see, this is a VERY different way to have your exhaust setup. A little backwards really. It does not provide for high performance like a straight flow through design, but I am pretty sure that if I uncapped the end and put the packing around the outer edge of the baffle, with it being so short, the noise level would not be dampened near enough. So I had to block the end and force the exhaust from the base. The only drop in power that I noticed before was in the mid range. I drilled more holes for better flow but have not tested the performance yet. The idea that I had was that the exhaust gases have to be pushed out the smaller holes and the sound waves bouce back and forth between the tip packing and the baffle packing before escaping out the end. The bad part is that the exhaust gases have to make 2 90 degree turns right out of the header practically which makes for slowed exhaust flow = bad.

DSC02271.jpg

With the baffle in and showing sort of what happens with the sound. It does do a surprisingly decent job of dampening that loud exhaust in such a short distance. I still feel it can be improved though. I'm still tinkering with it but this is what I've got for those of you that were wondering. wink.gif

DSC02269.jpg

Oh, and Dutchy, that Akra sounds NICE!!! :thumbsup:

i dig the looks of this and how i works,but the clip was a bit loud for me but i understand you had most of the wool burnt out and it not packed like below.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/clinteg/DSC02271.jpg

if you were to drill a 1/2"-3/4" hole in the top and leave the internal packing it would allow for more mid and high range breathing,thats my opinion anyhow.

id start small so sound didnt get excessive and stop when you can feel the mids an highs pick up.

also another idea would be to used a strong screw driver and and bend the holes so the inside had a cheese grater look so it would pull sound and gas's into the external baffles.

50598434.JPG id do it so the scalloped parts are internal.

i dig the looks of this and how i works,but the clip was a bit loud for me but i understand you had most of the wool burnt out and it not packed like below.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/clinteg/DSC02271.jpg

if you were to drill a 1/2"-3/4" hole in the top and leave the internal packing it would allow for more mid and high range breathing,thats my opinion anyhow.

id start small so sound didnt get excessive and stop when you can feel the mids an highs pick up.

also another idea would be to used a strong screw driver and and bend the holes so the inside had a cheese grater look so it would pull sound and gas's into the external baffles.

50598434.JPG id do it so the scalloped parts are internal.

Drilling a 1/2"-3/4" hole in the top, I assume you mean at the end of the baffle? I really don't think that the air would be able move very well or maybe not even at all through the packing. It might though. It's a good idea if it would work. This is a first for me messing around with exhaust work so what do I know. What I am thinking though is maybe have a very small (like say 1/2"?) diameter pipe with holes drilled out all over that would install inside the baffle through the end that would just be the length of the packing. That would allow some air to escape straight through and still allow the packing to absorb it while still pushing some of the air through the holes in the base and getting that sound absorbed as well. Kind of a double whammy on sound in a way and getting the ponies back up at the same time. I don't know where one would get that small diameter tubing except from electrical wire duct tubing.

The cheese grater idea is good too. But wouldn't you want the outside of the baffle to have the cheese grater look instead of the inside so it would pull sound into the internal baffles? Or maybe you're talking about the tip itself? Can you clarify that for me?

• Member Contributer
But the old lady in the Buick and family in the minivan you pass on the expressway probably don't - and soccer moms and blue hairs vote and write letters to their elected officials.

Who cares what soccer moms and blue hairs think about motorcycle riders? If the soccer moms I see around here are any indication, then they should be more concerned with not killing someone with their Suburbans, getting off the cell phone, and learning basic driving techniques then motorcyclists with loud exhaust pipes. As for the bluehairs, well, do we need to go there? +1.gif

Really, if I were concerned about what soccer moms and blue hairs think, then I wouldn't even OWN a motorcycle.

Of course, if the blue hairs (like Baileyrock and Skuuter) were riders, then I might listen to them!!

+1.gif

Really, if I were concerned about what soccer moms and blue hairs think, then I wouldn't even OWN a motorcycle.

Of course, if the blue hairs (like Baileyrock and Skuuter) were riders, then I might listen to them!!

:goofy:

<_< Bastige!!!!!!!!

:goofy: That's funny!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

btw my hair is Grey not blue(yet) :rolleyes:

Drilling a 1/2"-3/4" hole in the top, I assume you mean at the end of the baffle? I really don't think that the air would be able move very well or maybe not even at all through the packing. It might though. It's a good idea if it would work. This is a first for me messing around with exhaust work so what do I know. What I am thinking though is maybe have a very small (like say 1/2"?) diameter pipe with holes drilled out all over that would install inside the baffle through the end that would just be the length of the packing. That would allow some air to escape straight through and still allow the packing to absorb it while still pushing some of the air through the holes in the base and getting that sound absorbed as well. Kind of a double whammy on sound in a way and getting the ponies back up at the same time. I don't know where one would get that small diameter tubing except from electrical wire duct tubing.

The cheese grater idea is good too. But wouldn't you want the outside of the baffle to have the cheese grater look instead of the inside so it would pull sound into the internal baffles? Or maybe you're talking about the tip itself? Can you clarify that for me?

yes the end of the baffle,im not sure how tight you have it packed but gases will excape threw it.

you could try copper tubing as it should be easy to find and not rust out fast,it should discolor so it shouldnt look odd and be easy to drill.

on my pipes i did wich you can see some info here closer to the bottom: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34847

i had steel wool packed pretty tight into the 3/4" exit and filled the can and it still flowed well,but was too quiet for my needs so i went with 2 pads in each can.

that alone tells me alot more flows threw the packing than you would think,mine still flowed well also.

your idea about the 1/2" straight pipe drilled would work also,but i dont think the sound would be all that great as too many high end harmonics will come out.

but still should be less than what you had in the video clip.

i drawing of what i meant with the cheese grater:

pipe2.jpg

if the 1/2" pipe had that in the sides it would also pull gasses and sound into the outside packing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I tried the cheese grater idea but the holes I drilled don't have enough material in between them to work right. But anyhow, last time I rode, I was a little disappointed at how the noise level was still up, even with the Silent Sport in. So I took things apart again to see what was going on and there was my evidence, packing all bunched up at the end. Evidently I didn't pack it very tightly (which it says not to). So I repacked again, tighter this time. Then I took a very short ride without the lid (I know, bad idea) to get an idea of how the noise level was. At 50 mph cruising, the noise level is really almost like a Staintune, except it is a different kind of sound. It was just a hair louder than the wind noise in my ears. I was extremely pleased because now I don't have to worry as much about riding through the neighborhood in the mornings like before. I was literally barely above idle in 2nd or 3rd about to bog the motor out trying to creep out. But the way it is now, I shouldn't have as much of a problem. :thumbsup: The only bad thing is now that I've taken that tip on and off so many times, the crappy threads that they make on those things have about stripped out. But to total everything up cost wise, $23 for the tip 3A Racing Tip (Round) (I noticed that they make a slanted as well), $6 for the 1.5" pipe, $25 for the Silent Sport (I only needed 1/16 of what they gave me so I have lots of extra), and $10 for a shop to weld up the extra piece and weld the cap on. So $64 total and a lot of time drilling holes. Not too shabby. :wheel:

Oh, one more thing to add. Monza also makes resonated tips as well Monza (big bore pencil tip). They are probably as good or better made than the one I got, but the inlets are not adjustable. You can find them on ebay too. I have found them in Ebay stores before. Just throwing that out there.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for persevering and ultimately resolving this issue. In spite of all the knee-jerk reactions of the nanny brigade, you cobbled together a solution that is cheap, good looking, and not too loud, which is exactly what you set out to do.

I wonder if any of the naysayers who were highjacking your thread earlier will recognise your accomplishment now that you have succeeded. Thanks for sharing your experience and techniques. I may incorporate some of them into my experiment.

OK, maybe THIS will be the final cap on this thing! (and maybe it won't be) I was thinking maybe a repack with Silent Sport in the tip should be better than what it came with so I was looking at what would be involed in tearing it apart. When I got to looking, there was hardly any packing to be seen! It had all either burnt/blew out then the rest got smashed into the end of the tip. Then got to looking at the home made baffle and it still was getting packed from the force of the exhaust so that issue needed to be resolved as well. So anyhow, knocked the back out of the tip and pulled the tip baffle out and the rest of the packing.

DSC02335.jpg

Repacked it

DSC02336.jpg

Cut a piece from the 1.5" pipe, flattened it, crimped down 4 edges, shoved it down the home made baffle directly in front of the packing, then placed a steel rod behind it (packing side) all the way through, took a punch and hammer and hit the center of the plug so that it expanded the edges out and wedged itself in so that all airflow is forced on the plug instead of the packing. Hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, a tack weld would definitely work. As of now, I cannot say that this mod is ultimately resolved. Hopefully this will save some of you some time and frustration if you decide to do some exhaust work of your own :thumbsup:. I am now ready for a cold one! :rolleyes:

DSC02337.jpg

Here's an updated clip I took out in a NON-RESIDENTIAL area (had to get that in there so no throws me any nasty messages :goofy:). I think it's a bit louder with that plug in the baffle, but it had to be there. It's not too much louder though. You can sort compare the noise level to the sound of the road noise that car made that went by just after I took off. It just gives a sort of reference as to how loud my camera records sound. Enjoy!

th_VFRModExhaust.jpg

Should work now!

• Member Contributer

What with all this wasting of time?? Where's my Okie1 taillight kit? :goofy:

:P

Actually I think it sounds awesome, but it needs the slash-cut tip. I also understand the argument against anything that threatens our sport. It would be a bit loud for my bike, but you wouldn't piss me off if I was behind you. My underseat system is a bored-out 6th gen can with some baffling left in place, and it's amazing how reasonable the noise level is. You'd also be stunned at how light my system is compared to stock or my old Staintune.

gallery_5128_669_125596.jpg

S7000360.JPG

I'm sure there are other ways to get the shorty GP-style look, but I doubt they'd be as inexpensive as what you've done and they'd probably be just as loud.

I'm sure there are other ways to get the shorty GP-style look, but I doubt they'd be as inexpensive as what you've done and they'd probably be just as loud.

Cheapest possible thing you can do...

...cut your stock pipe:

june5044.jpg

june5045.jpg

june5046.jpg

june5047.jpg

It's REAL loud, and you'll lose lots of torque all over.

What with all this wasting of time?? Where's my Okie1 taillight kit? :lurk:

:P

Actually I think it sounds awesome, but it needs the slash-cut tip. I also understand the argument against anything that threatens our sport. It would be a bit loud for my bike, but you wouldn't piss me off if I was behind you. My underseat system is a bored-out 6th gen can with some baffling left in place, and it's amazing how reasonable the noise level is. You'd also be stunned at how light my system is compared to stock or my old Staintune.

Yes I agree a slash cut tip would look better. I didn't have the option though at the time and I only had a little over a week to scramble something together. I'm thinking of ordering one though but then again, I don't know if I really want to throw more money into right now (or more time either for that matter). Spare time has been hard to find lately and that's why the light has really been taking a while. I have been working on it a little here and there though. Heck, I wish I had one on my bike and I wish I had several made ready to be sent out to all you eager and patiently waiting (well, except you Magellan :P) people. I have decided to redesign the license plate cutout so that is what is taking a lot of time and thought. I don't want it to look "decent" or "good", I want it to look "damn good"! At this point I can't reinstall it on the bike to see how it will look when it's done so it's sort of a shot in the dark as to how it will turn out.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

This is my first post and I want to say hello to all. I come from an era that sportsters would blow up the street in Jersey City at 2am at 80 mph in a 25 zone. The bike would have with straight pipes, It lasted 30 seconds and as a kid I would smile. I know it sounds crazy but sitting on a Vespa at 6 plus the sound got me hooked. To really bring a frown to the EPA crowd I loved the sound of a 2 stroke street bike. Blue smoke and that sound was something else. I wish I could own a Gamma!

Do we need to be careful what we do and when we do it YES. But for the soccer moms I'm married to one and live with them all around me. They think I should grow up and stop being a kid. I usually explain I'll never grow up and my wife knows it.

If people race up streets on bikes or in cars they are looking for trouble. They will find it fast!! I have always like a motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle not a Buick. Keep em loud enough.

God can someone help me buy a Gamma because no one could make me keep that quiet!!! Let em try!!

Joe

• 3 months later...

I saw this question asked earlier in the thread, but wonder if anyone knows the answer as to what effect running a straight or minimally baffled pipe will have on the MOTOR - anyone know if burned valves are likely in this config?

I could have a stock exhaust and rampage through town, darting in and out of traffic, blowing by people, everything in the book to piss people off. NONE of you would have said ONE SINGLE WORD if I had posted a video with a stocker on there.

Not true whatsoever, that type of behavior is worse then the loud exhaust IMO, but does fall into the same category of behavior that only damages the future of our sport.

Some people just choose personal satisfaction over the future of an entire industry no matter how adversely it might effect ALL of our future. :fing02:

I do appreciated you attempt to keep redesigning your efforts to try and improve it's outcome! :blink:

Don't stop, because if you could ever come up with any design that would sound better w/o breaking every noise ordinance in that short GP design, you'll be a millionaire. :blink:

• Member Contributer
I saw this question asked earlier in the thread, but wonder if anyone knows the answer as to what effect running a straight or minimally baffled pipe will have on the MOTOR - anyone know if burned valves are likely in this config?

If you have the OEM headers, there is a restrictive catalytic converter that keeps back pressure on the engine. Straight pipes will mostly hurt your hearing and your pocketbook because it will draw attention of the police and give them time to get the radar gun pointed at you, but your engine will likely be fine.

june5047.jpg

Nice clean shorty pipe and bike, but your license plate mounting system looks too "ghetto" on a nice bike like that!

Won't the LEO's be constantly stopping you with that kind of tag setup??

JMO's

Beck

95 VFR

• 2 weeks later...
I could have a stock exhaust and rampage through town, darting in and out of traffic, blowing by people, everything in the book to piss people off. NONE of you would have said ONE SINGLE WORD if I had posted a video with a stocker on there.

Not true whatsoever, that type of behavior is worse then the loud exhaust IMO, but does fall into the same category of behavior that only damages the future of our sport.

Some people just choose personal satisfaction over the future of an entire industry no matter how adversely it might effect ALL of our future. :unsure:

I do appreciated you attempt to keep redesigning your efforts to try and improve it's outcome! :fing02:

Don't stop, because if you could ever come up with any design that would sound better w/o breaking every noise ordinance in that short GP design, you'll be a millionaire. :beer:

Oh boy, resurrected again. :ohmy:

Seriously, I don't want to go through with all the arguing again, but the point I was trying to make was that I firmly believe that it was the exhaust in that particular video is what set people off. Not saying that I could (or would) go post a video blasting through traffic and no one would say a word. Just saying that if a stocker was on there in the video, there would have been less uproar about it. That's all.

And I do keep pondering about how to change the design, keep power up, and keep noise down at the same time. It's difficult in these short pipes, especially right out of the header. I've looked into those Two Brothers Vale systems for the 06-07 GSXR 600's to modify and use but I don't see how they could kill much noise at all. I've heard video samples and those bikes still seem real loud. So I didn't figure there was any point in shelling out the dough for one to try and get a quieter exhaust. Maybe, like you said, I'll come up with a design for the GP and become a millionare! HA HA I don't see that happening tongue.gif

If you have the OEM headers, there is a restrictive catalytic converter that keeps back pressure on the engine. Straight pipes will mostly hurt your hearing and your pocketbook because it will draw attention of the police and give them time to get the radar gun pointed at you, but your engine will likely be fine.

Unless you have pre-2000 bikes which don't have cats...

june5047.jpg

Nice clean shorty pipe and bike, but your license plate mounting system looks too "ghetto" on a nice bike like that!

Won't the LEO's be constantly stopping you with that kind of tag setup??

JMO's

Beck

95 VFR

Beck, I fabricated the mount for the plate down there, because when I got done designing & making the undertail, I didn't want to muck it up with a plate! I rode the bike over to all three of the local enforcment agencies(town, county sheriffs, and state troopers barracks), and they all gave me the ok. It's not in writing, but I have officers names in case it ever comes up. It has a light(not shown in the pic), and is visible.

I had the bike down in TN/NC at last years T-Mac also w/o any problems, but didn't see any popo the whole time either...

Best part is, it doesn't touch the ground during lean, and doesn't fold into the brake rotor over 90mph like the first aluminum design did... :ohmy:

Archived