Moto Gp Style Exhaust For Only $23

Guest okiengr

As most of you know about the Staintune getting stolen, I honestly couldn't bear to think of going back to the stocker without trying to rig something else up that could actually pass for legal. I looked around for ideas at the local auto parts store and stirred things up in my head. What ended up happening was this! It is a little louder than the Staintune and deeper too. I think I'm actually going to use it on the trip! I have yet to take it on the highway to check the sound levels though. In the garage it's not that bad. Wutcha think?

DSC02139.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

If anyone can show me a diagram of how that fuel overflow line that is hanging down in the pics is supposed to be routed, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Member Contributer

Hey guys,

We just had this discussion on my thread. We got the gold medal standard of VFR exhaust gurus, including Toro1 and Shayne weighing in to elucidate the masses.

I ended up getting a used stock exhaust and I am just waiting till I get time before I filet it Sebspeed style.

Check this thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34997

Please let us all know how it turns out for you.

What I did was use the silencer spud from the old staintune and clamped it with the old staintune clamp directly into the end of the header collector. It was too loud to get away with alone. So I dug up someone else's thread about using a flex pipe from Autozone and bought one planning to use it with the spud and add something else on the end of the flex pipe to help tame down the screaming V4. But I didn't want a full muffler. So I looked for resonanted exhasut tips. What I came across was a resonated exhaust tip from Autozone. I think it's 3" or 3 1/2" dia and has those 3 prongs in the inlet to adjust to different pipe diameters. I'll have to measure. They call it dual layered though, not resonated. Resonated Tips on Ebay You would have to use reducers with the ones on that link (that is right way to do it). It has a thin layer of fiberglass packing or something in in. I'm not sure. Wahtever it is, it does help. There were no details on the package. As I was trying to rig up a high mount, I jokingly threw the tip straight over the clamped spud and fired it up. I was surprised at how it wasn't terribly loud. Believe me, it's loud, but I don't think that it's any louder than those straight pipe Harley's cruizin around. I even fired it up for the wife (like she really cared) and she didn't plug her ears so that's a good sign. :blink: She also likes that fact that I didn't spend an arm and a leg for another exhaust. Less money spent = happy wife. Then I got to looking at it and I liked the Moto GP style of it. But anyway, I tried without the spud and just had the tip on there. Too loud IMHO. It's more like an open header with a big tube that barely quiets it down. With the spud, I think that there is definite backpressure. Probably more than I'd like but oh well. It's what works for now. The only downfall I see is that the spud will hurt the performance. There is also a gap in between the tip inlet and the header outlet that needs filled. I'm just going to stuff it with steel wool and the 3 prongs should hold it all in place. As soon as I get the other side of the wheel stripped, I'll take her for a spin. Or maybe I'll just finish bolting it back on and take it for a spin as it is. :wheel:

enzed_viffer: Thanks for that. I never would have figured it out! Someone had that tube with the angled "doofer" thing stuck inside the hole in the frame by the rear part of the tank. I was baffled for a while until I realized that it wasn't supposed to be there.

"I was surprised at how it wasn't terribly loud. Believe me, it's loud, but I don't think that it's any louder than those straight pipe Harley's cruizin around."

Running this type of exhaust, just like those straight pipe HD idiots will only hurt our sport and continue the trend to increased legislation against us that is happening nation wide as we speak. Keep it up and pretty soon you will not be allowed to run anything but stock exhaust or face huge fines.

Think about it, they have noise limits at Race Tracks (usually <103 db) and I'm sure both the HD pipes and yours exceed that by a long shot.

Please don't add to that trend. :wheel:

It's not THAT much louder than the Staintune IMHO. That's why I say I think it would pass for legal. I wouldn't (intentionally) hurt our sport by running overly loud exhaust on purpose. I like loud but I have my limits, especially when I have people to consider that are riding with me. Just because I say it is loud doesn't mean it is "open exhaust loud". I think Staintunes are loud. They are "legal" and many folks on the board are running them, right? Does that mean all those people hurting our sport? I doubt it. This setup is just a step above and by no means anywhere close to open exhaust so I don't want everyone to look at this as a sport killer because it's not! Besides, I don't even know if I will use yet. Once I test ride it and if I feel it's too loud, I'll take it off and throw on the stocker.

"I was surprised at how it wasn't terribly loud. Believe me, it's loud, but I don't think that it's any louder than those straight pipe Harley's cruizin around."

Running this type of exhaust, just like those straight pipe HD idiots will only hurt our sport and continue the trend to increased legislation against us that is happening nation wide as we speak. Keep it up and pretty soon you will not be allowed to run anything but stock exhaust or face huge fines.

Think about it, they have noise limits at Race Tracks (usually <103 db) and I'm sure both the HD pipes and yours exceed that by a long shot.

Please don't add to that trend. :wheel:

It's not THAT much louder than the Staintune IMHO. That's why I say I think it would pass for legal. I wouldn't (intentionally) hurt our sport by running overly loud exhaust on purpose. I like loud but I have my limits, especially when I have people to consider that are riding with me. Just because I say it is loud doesn't mean it is "open exhaust loud". I think Staintunes are loud. They are "legal" and many folks on the board are running them, right? Does that mean all those people hurting our sport? I doubt it. This setup is just a step above and by no means anywhere close to open exhaust so I don't want everyone to look at this as a sport killer because it's not! Besides, I don't even know if I will use yet. Once I test ride it and if I feel it's too loud, I'll take it off and throw on the stocker.

Actually I think you'll find that most after market exhaust are not legal and state so on the box"Not for use on Public roads" except for the possibility of systems like Staintune's that have inserts that drastically reduce their noise levels, but like most people and myself run w/o them.

My point is that I like great sounding exhaust, but people like those straight pipe running HD guys and anyone else running "extremely" loud exhaust will continue to hurt the future of our sport and bring down on us new Laws and Regs. that will make us all sad that we'll have to run stock cans one day if it doesn't stop. It was your own reference to "it's no louder than those straight pipe Harley's cruizin around" that got my attention. I think they should throw the book at those people running straight pipes and any exhaust that's anywhere close to that loud IMO.

The Axis of Evil for the future of our sport is " Street Racing, Stunting, and Loud exhaust" and I don't want to be limited, regulated or penalized because of the actions of these 3 groups, but we all already are and it will get worse if we don't step up and say to our fellow "extreme" riders "Hey, thanks Not Cool". <_<

Just my protective $.02

Ok I went ahead for a test ride and as soon as I started to leave the driveway, I knew that this setup would be too loud. When you rev it, it's not terribly loud, but under a load, it speaks with a different voice. I could barely stand it. It makes this crazy tone at lower RPM that goes directly to your brain that makes your head feel likes it's going to POP! Cruizing at speed around 4-5K, it goes away. But as soon as you give it any throttle, LOTS of noise comes out. I am surprised that it turned out to be this bad. I wasn't expecting that considering what it sounded like in the garage. So this idea is trash unless I can find a different baffle setup. I have an idea that I really think would work but I would need a shop to make it. Power: lost some midrange but the tope end was not affected. She still pulled the wheel going into 2nd gear.

• Member Contributer
Ok I went ahead for a test ride and as soon as I started to leave the driveway, I knew that this setup would be too loud. When you rev it, it's not terribly loud, but under a load, it speaks with a different voice. I could barely stand it. It makes this crazy tone at lower RPM that goes directly to your brain that makes your head feel likes it's going to POP! Cruizing at speed around 4-5K, it goes away. But as soon as you give it any throttle, LOTS of noise comes out. I am surprised that it turned out to be this bad. I wasn't expecting that considering what it sounded like in the garage. So this idea is trash unless I can find a different baffle setup. I have an idea that I really think would work but I would need a shop to make it. Power: lost some midrange but the tope end was not affected. She still pulled the wheel going into 2nd gear.

ok...... scratch that for GP style...

next stop?

HPIM4623.jpg

Update for you: What I tried this time was installing a 1.5" dia pipe inside the tip with 95 1/8" diameter holes. I plan on capping the end so all the air and sound is forced out the holes into the packing of the tip then escaping out the end between the tip and 1.5" pipe. I took it for a run with just a rag stuck in the end and it works! No loud obnoxious noise or anything. Just sweet V4 music. But that was before the rag blew out after driving 2 blocks. But those 2 blocks were completely serenading. After the rag blew out though, here came the screaming V4 again. I'm going to get a shop to weld a cap on and then either make more holes or just make them bigger until I get the sound I want. :unsure: There you have it. My big secret plan I had under my sleeve. I bet you are all just mezmorized. :unsure:

I think Staintune has/had a high mount and they all come with a spud that makes them pretty quite. :thumbsup:

True.

I actually bought a second one for mine, so I have the option of running the Satantune with no restrictor, with a modified restrictor, or with the unmodified one. The latter sounds pretty close to the same loudness as the stock (Sankei) muffler. With the 'tail' cut off the restrictor, it's noticeably louder, but not obnoxiously so. With no restrictor, it sounds nice, but it's just silly. I can only stand it for maybe a week at the very most, then it starts to piss me off. Plus it makes me paranoid about getting pulled over by a cop. If this happens, I'd have to have the bike noise-tested, and I suspect I'd have to have the restrictor welded in, as the regulations state the muffler must not be 'significantly louder' than stock, and it must not be able to modified or adjusted my the owner.

I made another baffle and this one took out the nuisance noise that I had before. I just got it complete last night and I had my fingers crossed hoping for a "quieter" sound and I got it! It sounds so awesome! Probably louder than some of you would like your exhaust, definitely louder than the Staintune, but I think it sounds great! Maybe it sounds so much louder than the Staintune because of the location being closer to right under my ears. It IS louder than the Staintune, I just can't really make a good guess as to how much louder because the Staintune blew out the back and this guy blows out the side. Therefore, I'm hearing a lot more of this exhaust (me likey :music:). I leave for Bikes, Blues, & BBQ, in AR today after work and will be gone till Moday. Maybe around then I will get a sound clip for ya. :music:

• Member Contributer

The last time I got my bike inspected here in NH, they actually tested the noise level coming from the exhaust at a steady 3500rpms with a decibel meter. I have Staintunes on my '02 without the spuds installed. I might have put them in if I knew they were going to test for noise! The level came back at an even 100db. The limit, according to NH state law is 106db. I asked the tech how in the world the Harley's with the straight pipes pass inspection. He just smiled and said, "They don't." But he also said that 106db is very loud and that many of them pass, just barely, but pass nonetheless.

Here's the law in NH if anyone is interested:

Motorcycle Noise Levels

RSA 266:59a

No person shall operate a motorcycle which has a

measured noise level of more than 106 decibels

on the decibel meter, while the engine is

operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for 1

and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions

per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more

cylinders

• Member Contributer

Dutch law states:

Cilinderinhoud Max. toegestane waarde

<80 cm3 91 dB(A)

80 - 125 cm3 91 dB(A)

125 - 350 cm3 92 dB(A)

350 - 500 cm3 95 dB(A)

500 - 750 cm3 97 dB(A)

750 - 1000 cm3 100 dB(A)

1000 cm3 103 dB(A)

>1000 cm3 106 dB(A)

So for my 4th Gen (748cc) = 97db

I *suspect* my Akra without spud is a wee bit more.......

(so I have it handy in the tankbag should the polis give me grief)

• Member Contributer
The last time I got my bike inspected here in NH, they actually tested the noise level coming from the exhaust at a steady 3500rpms with a decibel meter. I have Staintunes on my '02 without the spuds installed. I might have put them in if I knew they were going to test for noise! The level came back at an even 100db. The limit, according to NH state law is 106db. I asked the tech how in the world the Harley's with the straight pipes pass inspection. He just smiled and said, "They don't." But he also said that 106db is very loud and that many of them pass, just barely, but pass nonetheless.

So, Staintunes without the spuds make 100db at 3500 rpm?? Wow.

What about like 9,000 rpm? Must be quite a bit louder??

Dang, that's louder than my pipe. You Staintune users are ruining our sport!! :goofy:

Just kidding, I like them a bit louder myself.

I did get a short clip for you guys. It's not the best but it will work for now. This is after 1000 miles on the exhaust and she got louder and louder the more I drove because of the steel wool breaking down (I think). I believe it is just too hot at the exit for regular wool. I'm not sure, I haven't taken it apart yet to see what's left. So what you are hearing is the exhaust after the trip which was louder than when I started. I'm going to find some ceramic steel wool or some of that white exhaust packing that has "Silent" in it's name. I don't recall what it was. I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about. But anyway, I'm going to re-pack it to get the "solid" tone back in it. Some of the guys even among the Harley crowd I was with were a little impressed. They would say "That thing sounds cool! What size is it?" I think that is the only thing that made the VFR really stick out to them from the other "Jap" bikes as they say. :music: :thumbsup:

th_VFR.jpg

I apologize if any of you lived in any of those houses on the right. I wasn't originally planning on "blasting" the neighborhood with noise. But you can see though that it's not too loud at lower RPMs for when your just cruising around town or whatever. I don't think cops would mess with you at all around here unless your just really into the throttle alot. I don't know that it would pass a noise level test though. I would highly doubt it. If an open Staintune barely passes, this probably won't. Maybe I can find a stereo place that could meter it and see how loud it actually is.

That sounds sweet...But yeah, thats loud

Wheeling and loud pipes-You neighborhood quietness, baby waking, red motorcycle having hellion!

Just kidding! nice soud btw.

Good thing that was my brother's neighborhood and not mine! That way, I don't earned the "Hellion" title in my own neighborhood :P . I leave that to the high school kids and their Civics. I usually putt around in the neighborhoods trying to make as little disturbance as possible. I think I only affected about 3 houses or so anyway. The road dead ends there. I'm sure that they are used to my brothers Harley and his girlfriend's straight piped Big Dog (which is probably 3 times louder than my exhaust!). Her bike makes as much noise at low RPM take off as mine does at high RPM. That bike will ring your ears if you're too close and she revs it. I make about as much noise as a regular baffled Harley does when cruizing around. Definitely not louder than the straight pipe guys.

• Member Contributer

I just had an idea, I helped a friend install a two bros pipe on his 07 Kaw ninja 650. It looks like it would fit up nicely. anyone tried this yet. I wonder what the pipe size is on both bikes, anyone know??

http://www.twobros.com/Exhaust/Kawasaki/ka..._tight_crop.jpg

Good thing that was my brother's neighborhood and not mine! That way, I don't earned the "Hellion" title in my own neighborhood :P .

What does that tell you??? I wouldn't want you near my neighborhood or state either! <_<

If pissing people off is your goal, I say you have a winner!

Sorry, I am just so against super loud bikes of any brand! I see nothing positive in it for us or our future! :unsure:

I guess you just have to be an old man to realize it! :P

Good thing that was my brother's neighborhood and not mine! That way, I don't earned the "Hellion" title in my own neighborhood :P .

What does that tell you??? I wouldn't want you near my neighborhood or state either! <_<

If pissing people off is your goal, I say you have a winner!

Sorry, I am just so against super loud bikes of any brand! I see nothing positive in it for us or our future! :rolleyes:

I guess you just have to be an old man to realize it! :P

My goal is not to piss people off. I haven't ran through ANYONE'S neighborhood like that in 7 years. So I did it one friggin time for 2 seconds on a dead end road in front of 3 houses and no children around, and now I'm getting labeled?! What the crap?! Look, I can't help but love the sound of the V4. That was THE original and sole reason I took interest in the VFR. So I made a pipe on that's a little louder than what you can buy off the shelf and saved myself over $400 from having to buy a new one. Where's the wrong in that? A rider that was with us is a local officer (and neighbor) in the town I used to live in. He rode behind me practically the whole trip to Fayetteville and back. He never once mentioned it being too loud or obnoxious. He's even an older guy too. The only thing he said was that he was glad that the VFR didn't sound like our I-4 borthers because he can't stand the sound of them. It bothers his ears I guess. He liked the VFR though as it didn't bother him at all.

So wherabouts in Nashville do you live? My brother was talking about taking another trip to Memphis so I figure we could head on over since we're out that way and drop by your neighborhood and give you a friendly "hello" :P .

okiengr,

no doubt it sounds awesome, not much better than a howling V-4.

my thoughts are not directed at you, but just loud exhaust in general and the continued desire for many to go louder no matter what the bike brand and that negative impact on our sport that I'm always spouting. :rolleyes:

Loud exhaust no matter what it's on does exactly what's it's intended to do "Attract attention" with most of it negative in the publics eye(ear) :P

It also attracts the Police and Legislators who have No problem taking the freedoms away from the entire industry because of a small percentage of it's members.

My voice (whether you see it that way or not) will always be from the standpoint of protecting the future of our great sport with the hope to preserve as many aspects of it that we currently enjoy before it's legislated away. This includes asking my fellow riders to help by showing respect to the public as much as possible when they ride. Whether that's by how fast they ride around town, how they pass cages, when they choose to do wheelies or how loud there exhaust is. It's a mutual survival benefit if we work together.

They are many stupid Laws being passed everywhere and they will eventually effect us all if we stay on the current path. Street racing, Stunting and Loud exhaust (in and around the Public)will be the reasons our current freedoms will be Legislated away. I'm smart enough to see what's coming and try to do my part to prevent it as much as possible.

That's how I see it and I feel it's my duty to speak up about it when I see it happen because I want to be able to ride freely as long as I live. :thumbsup:

BTW I have been involved in racing of all forms longer than many of you have been alive(over 4 decades) and have witnessed the loss/closing of many racing facilities ( Moto-X, Road Racing, Drag racing, etc.) nation wide no matter how long they were there mostly because of Noise alone! :huh:

I am against any rider on any brand of bike that's willing to terrorize(how the public sees it) the public with speed, stunts or noise, these people are having a very negative effect on the sport I truly love and that pisses me off! :blink:

I speed, wheelie, etc. myself, but I choose where carefully and will almost always try to respect every other person I run across out there not matter if their in a cage, on a bike, walking or standing in their yard. I'll slow, pull in the clutch whatever I need to do to lesson the potential negative effect meeting me and my M/C might have on them. That is how I do my part.

sorry, my soap box fell over! :goofy:

A message from a rider from the Harley group I was with last weekend:

"Your bike is the ONLY sport bike I have ever heard that is not an annoying wine (and I have been around and ridden plenty of them). All the Harley riders agreed that they liked the sound of your bike and didn’t mind having you ride in the group. Most sport bikes sound like a screaming annoying bumble bee. Yours has a very unique sound much like a muscle car might have. The other VFR we heard and saw on the trip sounded nothing like yours. It was that damn annoying bumble bee sound. Your bike is not loud unless you really lay into the throttle. It’s much more quite than most all the Harley’s and Choppers that you rode with but had the sound if you wanted to make your presence known. To me, it's much more quieter than the other sportbikes I hear. My point is that you have created a sound that Harley riders don’t mind allowing to ride with them. Most sport bikes are not welcomed in the cruiser and chopper world."

So you see Bailey, if I am still queiter than 80% of Harleys and a lot of other sport bikes, what could I possibly be hurting? Especially if I'm just cruizing around. Like he said, it's only loud when I'm into the throttle and most VFRs with aftermarket exhausts are going to be loud under WOT. I understand though about terrorizing the public streets and what not. It pisses me off to see people do stupid annoying things with their bikes in front of a bunch of people or on crowded streets too. ESPECIALLY when it's other sport bike riders because we as VFR owners are looked upon no differently because our bikes look the same as a CBR or whatever to the public. I as well do speed, rarely wheelie (although the vid speaks differently, I nearly crashed once from a wheelie and I just don't like to do them anymore), etc, but I do those things on back roads, away from the public's eye. I usually always respect the public. I see your point, and I agree with you. But I'm not in that I'm category ( :rolleyes: ) of riders FYI. wink.gif

As far the mock up, I'll try to get pictures soon and a description for those of you who are interested. It's very easy. "So easy, a caveman can do it." :blink:

• Member Contributer
I just had an idea, I helped a friend install a two bros pipe on his 07 Kaw ninja 650. It looks like it would fit up nicely. anyone tried this yet. I wonder what the pipe size is on both bikes, anyone know??

http://www.twobros.com/Exhaust/Kawasaki/ka..._tight_crop.jpg

Very sweet looking. I LIKE IT! Tell me more about the installation. How does it sound?

Greg :thumbsup:

It sounds very cool & it was very easy to install. Next time I see him I'll get a sound bite.

Not to thread hijack but you found a group of Harley riders around here that aren't ass hats? I'd like to get a look at that exhaust close up some time, if you're game.

I'm game for if you'd like to check it out sometime. I just ordered some Silent Sport packing so hopefully I can get it repacked next week. When are you wanting to take a gander?

can we get a few more pictures of the setup?

I will post some once I get the repacking material in and have everything apart which should be sometime in the middle of the week.

Archived