Safety Recall

Guest ROUSE

• 9 months later...

OK so I recently grafted my 03 chassis onto an 07 VTECker 6th gen... now I found one of my yellow stator wires all crispy and bubbly yesterday, from overheating... I had already elminated the OEM connctor and used a screw-down connector block... well actually a buddy did the work in my absence and I think maybe one of the wires wasn't screwed in well... at least I'm hoping that's all that's wrong cause my 03er already fried 2 stators in its 95,000 km lifespan.

Anyway... this old new inbred summer-mix frankenbike has the 07 main and rear harness and the old 03 front subharness with the shitey yellow ground connector removed and replaced with a profesional soldering job... although during the chassis-grafting procedure we found some browning of the Green ground wires around the soldering job and decided to excise and heal it all up... reinforced to an alternative grounding point on the chassis with an extra nice'n'thick gauge wire.

So I'm thinking maybe it's time to get a new front subharness... but I'm not sure which one I need as the CDI is from a US 2007 VFR, but the optics and relays and such on the front cowling bracket, as well as indicator lamps are from the old 03 model... so maybe the connectors for the lamps won't be the same... I know they changed the housings from 02-05 to 06-10...

Whatchall reckon??

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I recently purchased a 2005 VFR800A. Since it's cold and wet right now in Oregon, I think I've spent more time reading the fantastic back catalog of VFRD discussions than I have riding my new (to me) bike. Here is my question: How might one confirm by direct inspection of the bike's wiring whether or not the the wiring harness was replaced under recall?

I have seen four ways of confirming this posted in previous discussion:

1. Check the VINs listed in the original bulletin

2. Visit a dealer and have them look it up

3. Check the Honda recall database: http://www.honda.com/recalls

4. Look for a technician's stamp or punch next to the VIN on the steering head

My VIN is in the range called out by the bulletin. The online Honda recall database indicates "There are no current safety recalls for this [VIN]". I don't see any marks or notes next to the VIN stamp on the steering. A dealership is a bit of a haul from here, and quite frankly, I'm not sure how much I trust the system now that the key events themselves are fading into history a bit.

So, can I resolve the question definitively by direct inspection of the motorcycle's wiring? Or was the completed recall work visually indistinguishable from the original faulty work?

I'm not sure if this will help but the shoddy common ground bus connector on the front subharness on the 2002-2005 is yellow and on the 2006-2010 it's orange... bit of a PITA to get to as it's on the front left arm of the bracket that holds the front fairing/headlight assy. You would have to disassemble somewhat.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure if this will help but the shoddy common ground bus connector on the front subharness on the 2002-2005 is yellow and on the 2006-2010 it's orange... bit of a PITA to get to as it's on the front left arm of the bracket that holds the front fairing/headlight assy. You would have to disassemble somewhat.

Thank you, Sir.

• 5 years later...
  • Member Contributer

So 13 years after this recall was made, can one still bring in an affected bike to have the recall work done?Ā  I have yet to check if mine falls in the range but I do have a 2002 non ABS model.

Ā 

EDIT:Ā  Entered my VIN and there is no active recall for my bike.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

will have to bring old thread up.

Im curious, if this recall is actual only for bikes sold in USA/CANADA or in Europe too ? I've got an European bike here, i've read many stories about this issue, but could not find anything even remotely similar on my bike when i got it, compared to what you were(?) having with VFR electrical system. When i got it, i've foundĀ  original stator( which i've replaced already, obviously), RR, and all the wire harness. Checked the blue connector and ground pin was in good condition, with normal wear signs, I mean no melting, no nothing.