Safety Recall

Guest ROUSE

• Member Contributer

Update - I waited 4 mo to get harness (no rush here in MI, the snow just melted last week)... Took VFR in last Friday, thought I could pick it up Saturday, but dealer called and said part was damaged. They rush ordered another harness, received it on Monday, and completed the work on Tuesday. How can they get a part in 2 days when had to wait 4 mo for the first one? They did a PCV check as well, apparently there was a tech note on that. Service manager said the right low beam bulb burned out when they tested the job. But I see on the receipt they replaced both low beam bulbs. So I have the bike back and all is well. Service manager had 3 more VFR's to do after mine, said he'll leave my number and VFRD link for them.

Scot

'04 VFR800

:fing02:

Has anyone in Houston dealt with any of the local dealerships for this recall?

My bike cut out on me while coming out of a turn yesterday for no apparent reason (only second time I can recall this ever happening), so I decided maybe I should go ahead and have this fix done just in case it was the cause.

My two nearby dealers are Galveston Honda and Pasadena Honda.

Earlier this year I spoke with the service department at Galveston Honda about the recall. They knew about it and had done at least one job, but they said they were severely backed up on all their jobs and wouldn't be able to get mine done for some time (months!!). They also lead me to believe that it was a very difficult procedure that could require tearing the whole bike apart (if the main harness needed replacing)... hmm...

I just spoke with Pasadena Honda. The service guy told me that they've done one of these jobs. He also told me that I would have to drop off my bike, then it would be 4 to 5 days for them to inspect and order the necessary parts (would not order parts without first inspecting the bike). I'd rather deal with them because they have a pretty large service department and can probably turn it around quickly, but I don't want to take it there then end up waiting indefinitely for backordered parts. How can I tactfully request that they determine the availability status of ALL potential replacement parts before bringing in the bike?

Has anyone in Houston dealt with any of the local dealerships for this recall?

My bike cut out on me while coming out of a turn yesterday for no apparent reason (only second time I can recall this ever happening), so I decided maybe I should go ahead and have this fix done just in case it was the cause.

My two nearby dealers are Galveston Honda and Pasadena Honda.

Earlier this year I spoke with the service department at Galveston Honda about the recall. They knew about it and had done at least one job, but they said they were severely backed up on all their jobs and wouldn't be able to get mine done for some time (months!!). They also lead me to believe that it was a very difficult procedure that could require tearing the whole bike apart (if the main harness needed replacing)... hmm...

I just spoke with Pasadena Honda. The service guy told me that they've done one of these jobs. He also told me that I would have to drop off my bike, then it would be 4 to 5 days for them to inspect and order the necessary parts (would not order parts without first inspecting the bike). I'd rather deal with them because they have a pretty large service department and can probably turn it around quickly, but I don't want to take it there then end up waiting indefinitely for backordered parts. How can I tactfully request that they determine the availability status of ALL potential replacement parts before bringing in the bike?

Just give them your VIN.# and ask them to Order the required Recall parts which is the front and rear sub harnesses, the only other item they would have to order is the Main herness if they did find damage to it when installing the other Recall parts.

Tell them most good Dealers around the country are doing it this way so that the owner doesn't have to loose his bike while parts are on order. :rolleyes:

I tried to call the Honda Customer Support line to get a straight answer: either "yes, your dealer can order the parts for you ahead of time" or "no, the dealer requires a thorough inspection, etc, etc," but I got a recording that said they were closed for a meeting :huh:

So anyway, I called Pasadena Honda again and started to tell the service guy to order the necessary parts before I bring the bike in and he interrupted me saying "Honda won't let us do that. We're required to do an inspection of the bike before we order the parts."

I asked him if he could at least check on the availability of the front wiring harness to give me a head start, explaining that other VFR owners had run into the backorder problem. He did check and said he had two wire harnesses in stock, but could not verify which one I needed, presumably until he could perform the inspection of my bike.

sheesh... well, whatever. it's almost too hot to ride now anyway so I might as well take her in to get this over with...

• Member Contributer
he interrupted me saying "Honda won't let us do that. We're required to do an inspection of the bike before we order the parts."

My dealer had no problem ordering the parts without my bike. It did sit in the shop for a day before they touched it though. Got it back on day 2.

he interrupted me saying "Honda won't let us do that. We're required to do an inspection of the bike before we order the parts."

My dealer had no problem ordering the parts without my bike. It did sit in the shop for a day before they touched it though. Got it back on day 2.

%201.gif

Most Dealers in the Country have no problem ordering the parts, why would it be a problem for these clowns? Tell them that, just because they are inept why should you suffer?

The mandatory parts for the recall are the front and rear harnesses which should be replaced on every bike no matter what and it is when they are replacing those two harnesses that they inspect for Main harness damage. if they find Main harness damage then they order one and you do have to wait for that to come in which should take no longer than 3 days unless back ordered! :huh:

I would not put it past some of the Dealers to Not be installing the rear harness and sticking it on their parts shelve to sell to someone else. :fing02:

Most Dealers in the Country have no problem ordering the parts, why would it be a problem for these clowns? Tell them that, just because they are inept why should you suffer?

The mandatory parts for the recall are the front and rear harnesses which should be replaced on every bike no matter what and it is when they are replacing those two harnesses that they inspect for Main harness damage. if they find Main harness damage then they order one and you do have to wait for that to come in which should take no longer than 3 days unless back ordered! :huh:

I would not put it past some of the Dealers to Not be installing the rear harness and sticking it on their parts shelve to sell to someone else. :fing02:

The recall notice I got says "The dealer will install a newly designed front fairing wiring sub-harness free of charge." Nothing about the rear harness.

But I agree that they should order it ahead of time without question.

• Member Contributer

Called Action Honda today and they said the part was in and he was preparing to call me before I called him (sure). Scheduled to take my VFR in on Saturday, June 21st for the repair. I told him up front that he was over an hour ride away and that I'd be waiting there for them to finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sitting in Action Honda while they work on my bike so I thought I do a little surfing. Wife was following me down as we have a Honda mower with a safety recall also...side note, she's about 45 minutes behind me because she had to wait for the post office to open so she could pick up my BMW Venting Machime pants!

Anyway, I wasn't having any harness related issues that I know of and I didn't have any visible signs of wire/connectors overheating so my biggest hope is that they don't cause any problems while they do the work. Sweet 25th anniversary and an '07 red sitting on the showroom floor.

• Member Contributer

Just got my bike back from the Honda Dealer! It runs GREAT! The lights are brighter, it starts up faster, and is more responsive. I gave it a good rip up a big hill and it seems like it is giving me 110%. On Monday I will be spending some track time with it, I am sure I will be satisfied. I love my VFR again.

I do have to mention that the wait time I had was unacceptable. The dealer I had to deal with was just as bad. For that reason I will never buy a Honda again. It's BMW K1200S or bust!

I hope other people have had (and will) better experiences with this process than I did. California here I come!

• Member Contributer
Okay, Here's my own story....

Didn't know about the recall even with frequent visits in this site (slaps forehead) anyway, it was revealed to me when I was getting a new key (lost one of the originals). They checked it all as required, and the bike only needed the front harness done. I checked it out myself and agreed that there wasn't any sign of scortching in the plug. This was about March. They had no trouble getting the parts and the recall was done about a week later.

Fast Forward to this afternoon. The bike is in for a 72K km service. Only comment.. Now the rest of the harness is trashed. The bike is fine at the moment while they await parts, but basically they are up for the recall again. They are going to redo the work they did last time, and replace the rest of the harness, and a new stator. My comment... "Well hope you enjoy it!" I can only assume that there was damage earlier on that was not evident from a visual check of the plug (where the main joins the front)

Not sure if there's a lesson there, but its something to keep an eye on.

OK Harness got done today. The shop has decided they will also replace the R/R as a lot of the connections to it were messed up. But, none in stock (in the country, apparently). They have tested the one in the bike and are happy that all the voltages are ok, but have backordered one and intend to replace it asap. At Honda's cost (yay).

So my drama is not quite over yet either!

The mandatory parts for the recall are the front and rear harnesses which should be replaced on every bike no matter what and it is when they are replacing those two harnesses that they inspect for Main harness damage. if they find Main harness damage then they order one and you do have to wait for that to come in which should take no longer than 3 days unless back ordered! :dry:

I would not put it past some of the Dealers to Not be installing the rear harness and sticking it on their parts shelve to sell to someone else. :dry:

The recall notice I got says "The dealer will install a newly designed front fairing wiring sub-harness free of charge." Nothing about the rear harness.

But I agree that they should order it ahead of time without question.

I can not find the reference now, but one same they would replace both front and rear (30amp) harness for sure and the Main harness too it there was ANY sign of a problem. :blush:

Guest freestylin721

Hey This is my first post here but I have been hanging around for a while, I had the Wiring recall work done about 3 weeks ago and hadn't done more than 40-50 miles since, then a week and a half ago i was riding to school and the bike started smoking heavily from the right side. I got the bike to my honda dealer and they called a few days later to saying that the harness on the other side (right side) that wasn't part of the recall had burned up. They talked with honda, sent pictures and apparently they are going to pay for it but I should have more details today, on what might have happened. Has anyone else experienced this since having the recall done?

Guest pserve
Hey This is my first post here but I have been hanging around for a while, I had the Wiring recall work done about 3 weeks ago and hadn't done more than 40-50 miles since, then a week and a half ago i was riding to school and the bike started smoking heavily from the right side. I got the bike to my honda dealer and they called a few days later to saying that the harness on the other side (right side) that wasn't part of the recall had burned up. They talked with honda, sent pictures and apparently they are going to pay for it but I should have more details today, on what might have happened. Has anyone else experienced this since having the recall done?

Damn, that's rough. Sorry to hear it. Must have been the stator connector that blew. They get pretty warm in use and I remember seeing a pic of a burned one somewhere.

I caught mine just in time and made my own fixes since I want to see exactly what they do before I bring it in. I changed the 30A fuse block and added a seperate sense wire for the R/R. The fuse still gets fairly warm in use, but nowhere close to what would cause damage, and the new sense wire brought the system voltage down from 15.3 to where it should be (14.6). I'm keeping a close eye on it, and so far no issues after ~500mi.

Guest PKPK
I do have to mention that the wait time I had was unacceptable. The dealer I had to deal with was just as bad. For that reason I will never buy a Honda again. It's BMW K1200S or bust!

LOL! With a BMW you'll not only bitch about the wait time, but how far you'll have to drive to get it serviced. Seems BMW is only located at the largest population centers now. BTDT, won't do it again.

• Member Contributer

We need more details on this!!! My bike has been running GREAT since I got the recall work done. Hopefully this won't happen to me.

• Member Contributer

I was very very nervous about the recall, but I eventually got my head around finding a dealer to complete the work CORRECTLY.

Planet Honda in Chadds Ford Pennsylvania (near the delaware state line) offered to do the recall work while I waited. I was told that the mechanic had done a few bikes (no problem) and I could be riding again in under two hours.

The work was performed just like it was promised and things look great. I checked as many connections as I could and the blue high beam indicator lamp is brighter as so are the headlights.

HOWEVER - I pulled over to take a few pictures on my last ride and the hazard lights no longer function! I use this feature whenever entering and exiting toll booths (ever since a truck almost ran me over) as well as when I sit along the side of the road... taking pictures.

Did the hazard diode have to be removed and switched over? And left out? Does the NEW harness have the diode installed? Does this indicate that MORE problems are around the corner because of careless work.

I will let you all know when I go back to the dealer next week.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Recall under way! The train has left the building...er...VFR has left the building...and is now sitting on the lift at FBC here in San Diego.

I dropped it off on Tuesday evening for them to take care of it yesterday (Wednesday) and was told that it would only take a day to get the front sub-harness replaced under the recall. It turns out, upon inspection of all the goods, the main fuse-block, red connector is melted and they're waiting for Honda to say go-ahead. The only trouble with that is the main wiring harness, they're being told, is NOT available for direct purchase. That means that you or I could not go in and order the main wiring harness, but the dealer has to contact Honda directly, and provide reason for it, then and only then will Honda release a harness to them. Has anyone else heard of this?

Either way, it looks like I'm out of commission for at least a week...no problem tho..I'll be north of LA for work next week and my weekend is already booked solid...

By the way, kudos to Jay, the Service Advisor I've beendealign with. He explained the problem to me with the main harness and the burned up red-connector and even brought me back to look at it on the shop floor...

:idea3:

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I had to return my bike two weeks ago after the recall work... I had the bike back for all of 3 days, and then as I was riding home from work, my speedo started jumping wildly from my actual speed (about 70) all the way down to zero. By the time I was about a mile from my house, it just stayed at zero.

Got my bike back Thursday after harassing the dealer all week about when the work would be done... as I suspected, they told me the speedo connector came loose.

So, 2 weeks for the wiring harness, 4 more weeks for thermostat, then over a week for the follow-up work. Almost 2 months of this summer without my bike sad.gif

Guest SeanOBoyle

So I just got my bike back from getting the recall work done and I noticed that my monitor wire fix was still intact.

Sooo...

Now that the recall work is done do I still need the monitor wire fix? Was this part of the harness fixed as part of the recall?

And whether I need it or not, will it hurt anything to just leave the fix in place?

Thanks!

Sean

BTW, I had to return my bike two weeks ago after the recall work... I had the bike back for all of 3 days, and then as I was riding home from work, my speedo started jumping wildly from my actual speed (about 70) all the way down to zero. By the time I was about a mile from my house, it just stayed at zero.

Got my bike back Thursday after harassing the dealer all week about when the work would be done... as I suspected, they told me the speedo connector came loose.

So, 2 weeks for the wiring harness, 4 more weeks for thermostat, then over a week for the follow-up work. Almost 2 months of this summer without my bike sad.gif

Sorry to say, but MOST Dealers SUC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fing02:

So I just got my bike back from getting the recall work done and I noticed that my monitor wire fix was still intact.

Sooo...

Now that the recall work is done do I still need the monitor wire fix? Was this part of the harness fixed as part of the recall?

And whether I need it or not, will it hurt anything to just leave the fix in place?

Thanks!

Sean

The recall monitor wire now connects to the + wires just down stream of the rectifier plug. This is an improvement over the old routing through the ignition and fuse block. I would think it should connect closer to the battery like your fix.

6 months after I had my recall done on my '02 the new recall 30 amp fuse by the battery started to heat up and voltage at the battery dropped from 14v to 13.5v

I did the monitor wire fix and replaced the 30 amp fuse holder with an in line ATO fuse holder w/ 12 ga. wire from the auto parts store. Now no heat and the voltage is 14.3v

So I would keep the monitor wire fix.