Safety Recall

Guest ROUSE

Guest viffer05

Just got back from my local dealer today after waiting 2 weeks for the parts. They told me that all the parts are on backorder and not to expect them until May. Luckily they're not holding my bike for colateral so I'm still riding.

Although I must say, while waiting a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST was trying to tempt me...

• Member Contributer

Well, I made my appointment today. The dealer said it should take about a week for the harness to come in. Here's to hoping it's not on backorder from Honda Canada.

• Member Contributer

Question for anyone who has done the RR monitor wire fix and has the front harness replaced under the recall----Someone may have already answered this already, but will the the "monitor wire fix" still work after the recall wire harness is installed?

• Member Contributer
I called up the dealer here in St Albert (Canada) and was told the same thing. They have to look/examine the bike before they can order the wiring harness. So I brought it in Feb 28th. Hopefully won't take long to get back. good thing is that there's still snow/dirt on road. Only thing that has me a little worried is that my bike will be the guinnie pig.

Well my dealer called me on Friday(March 21) to say my bike was ready after having BOTH Harnesses replaced. I picked it up on Saturday (March 22), took off from the dealership and noticed that my ABS Light was staying on. So turned around and headed back to the Dealership. Now my bike sits in the shop until Tuesday untill they open again (easter Holidays) before it can get diagnosed as to what's wrong. Just glad it's still kinda winter here.

Picked up the bike today and everything is good. Problem was the ABS connection. Apparently didn't push in the connector far enough to make contact (So I'm told). All in All happy with my dealer and time frame.

P.S. Honda Canada is going to reimburse me the $450.00 it cost me last year to fix the Burn't/Melted 30 Amp wire fix I had the dealer do before the recall was issued.

Guest jayazusa
Question for anyone who has done the RR monitor wire fix and has the front harness replaced under the recall----Someone may have already answered this already, but will the the "monitor wire fix" still work after the recall wire harness is installed?

My monitor wire is still in place since the harness was replaced, the dealer had disconnected it from the battery but when I got home I reconnected everything and it works great. As posted above I went thru all the wiring post dealer to clean it up and run things right.

Jay

Well, I'm late to the game. I'm presently overseas, so I don't know if I got any recall notice from Honda or not. Guess I'll find out when I get home in a month.

I have had problems with that ground wire in the main connector on the left front. I've jumped around it and haven't had problems since, but I'll get it swapped if they offer.

I trust my dealer and they know I"ll be back to complain if it ain't right!

• Member Contributer

A data point

I recently moved and live 6 miles from "Willow motorsports" in Cheshire Ct. The guys there are very nice, so far. Last week I got some new Stradas mounted up and asked about the recall. His first response was "Bring the bike in and I'll take a look to see if you need the recall" I showed him my reg. with the VIN # and told him I definately was eligible. The book confirmed this and he said "I can get the parts in 6 days, so bring your bike in on the 31st" I worked hard to get my newly gutted pipe and regearing done over the weekend, arranged a ride and dropped the bike off.

Today the dealer calls and says the parts are backordered and I am #77 on the list. Supposedly there are several hundred backordered, and his estimate is April 22nd to get parts. Now this isn't a huge deal for me, but I specifically asked him to make sure he would get the parts before I brought my bike in. (as usual the VFRD folks are more knowledgeable than the dealers).

So it appears the parts are held up nationwide but should be coming in the next few weeks.

So I am going to pick up my bike and ride it until it is convenient to drop it off and then go through the drop off pick up routine again.

If it weren't for the resale value thing, I would just jump out the blue connector and buy the Radio shack 30 am fuse holder like I did on my '02!!!

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised by the number of "back order" comments. I stopped by the local Honda shop last week to discuss the recall. After the initial attitude I got when they discovered that I didn't buy the bike from them, they said they would order the harness. Got a call yesterday saying it had arrived and I have an appointment next week to get the work done.

• Member Contributer

I finally got around to contacting my local dealer (Fun Bike Center, San Diego) and after they took my information down on Friday, they finally heard back from Honda today that the parts are back ordered until April 25 or so. Good news is, they don't have possession of my VFR while waiting for the parts. They did tell me that once they have the parts, it will only be a day or two until it's completed. Looks like I get to rude until the end of the month!

VFRnGTP

Well, I made my appointment today. The dealer said it should take about a week for the harness to come in. Here's to hoping it's not on backorder from Honda Canada.

It shouldn't be...I took mine to Pro Cycle in Dartmouth on the 16th of March, and got it back on the 31st (last Monday). She's all ready to go...in fact I rode for about an hour today...and yes, it was cold.

Guest eatmyfootpeg

A new twist to this!

33 days and too many phone calls later... :fing02:

new wiring harness ,front and main

new reg/rec

new stator

new 30 amp fuse harness

all compliments of mr.honda and the recall

03' vfr way out of warranty :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Mine had the recall work done this past week. The dealer had the bike for three days and everything seems to be working well since the work was done. They also reconnected my Hot Grips, and my Jastek (both were dealer installed anyway). They also did the brake recall while they had it.

• Member Contributer

Sigh, I am in the 'back order' group. My comment is more about how people just do not have the ability to listen to others. I told the service manager at Motorsports International (which appears to be more of a Suzook shop than Honda) that the wire harness for this recall is coming up back-ordered around the country, further it make take as many as 3 weeks to come in. "blah-blah-blah," I hear, "we probably have the part in stock." "Okay," I say, then wanting to add, "Yours would be the only shop in the country that does." A week later, the service manager tells me, "yup, don't have the part in stock, we ordered it, but its back-ordered." This is one of those moments where I want to scream, "What the Put-Favorite-F-Word-Here did I tell you a week ago!?" Meanwhile, I needed new tires, eek, mine were bald-bald-bald, so I had this shop put them on the bike. Well, there's $500 worth of tires on the bike, not paid for, so I'm hoping this will motivate these guys to finish the recall, but who knows.

• Member Contributer

I just got a call this afternoon. Bike is ready to pick up.

Front sub harness replaced, fresh oil/filter, air filter, and they installed my Scorpio Alarm while they were in there.

And the kicker is that my hardbags just arrived from the UK this morning, so all in all, it's been a pretty good day.

Ready to rock.

Only made the call last friday, and dropped it off on last wednesday. Quick.

I guess all you back-order guys have to take a trip up north. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Well, it was too good to be true! Went to drop off my bike for the recall work today. Asked the service manager to double check the part. He came back with a harness, but I don't know what it was for! He disappears in to the parts department and comes back shaking his head, back ordered until May. :angry: Not sure what he ordered two weeks ago. What is it with these dealers? :blink:

I'm surprised by the number of "back order" comments. I stopped by the local Honda shop last week to discuss the recall. After the initial attitude I got when they discovered that I didn't buy the bike from them, they said they would order the harness. Got a call yesterday saying it had arrived and I have an appointment next week to get the work done.

well my bike has been in the shop a month as of today,i got fed up and called honda corp the # is on the recall letter.the rep told me the parts are indeed on back order but 400 units will be in sometime next week. so i suggest anyone who is in the fence about getting this done better call there dealer early next week to get the parts ordered before they run out again

• Member Contributer

So, I've been trying to get help from the Honda dealership in my home town but they keep telling me "we've had one on order for over 2 months". So I call the dealership in the city where I work and the lady tells me she'll need to read the bulletin, call Honda to check on parts, etc. I can understand all this and she's asking for my phone number to call me back, so everything is at least looking positive...then she says, "that's a 2003 Interceptor, what's the model number for that?". So, I tell her VFR800 and she replies, "Great! That will really speed things up!"

Do I want a Honda service center that doesn't know what an Interceptor is working on my bike? I'm thinking seriously about skipping the recall and just ordering a VFRness.

• Member Contributer
So, I've been trying to get help from the Honda dealership in my home town but they keep telling me "we've had one on order for over 2 months". So I call the dealership in the city where I work and the lady tells me she'll need to read the bulletin, call Honda to check on parts, etc. I can understand all this and she's asking for my phone number to call me back, so everything is at least looking positive...then she says, "that's a 2003 Interceptor, what's the model number for that?". So, I tell her VFR800 and she replies, "Great! That will really speed things up!"

Do I want a Honda service center that doesn't know what an Interceptor is working on my bike? I'm thinking seriously about skipping the recall and just ordering a VFRness.

Just because the receptionist doesn't know what it is doesn't mean the techs don't know what they are doing.

Guest tib74

Hello, i'am a newbe on this site. I have read this topic because i have all of this problems on my bike. It's a 2002 no abs break. The recall of the alternator, cbs break was do but this recall will be in the nearest futur. In the last 2 years i put over 3500 can $ on this bike in repair of electrical problems. The pcm was changed, firering cylinder problem, and now the buzzing dash with not runnig engine. My question is : do this bike will be safety if this recall is do and the wiring changed ? Because all wirering probably had overheating Does it repair is the key of safety ride ? The bike have only 30 000 km (20 000 miles) I think that the quality of honda product, is defect in the VFR case.

I hope that you understand my english. :fing02:

Guest viffer05

Just got a call from my dealer that my parts were in. I'm now scheduled for May 1st to have the work done. Hopefully it doesn't take them more than a couple of days to get the job done.

• Member Contributer

Datapoint:

Recall parts ordered April 1st. They are in now. I dropped the bike off yesterday and I should get it back tomorrow.

Point is, wait until the service guy says he has the parts in hand before surrendering your bike!!

Datapoint:

Recall parts ordered April 1st. They are in now. I dropped the bike off yesterday and I should get it back tomorrow.

Point is, wait until the service guy says he has the parts in hand before surrendering your bike!!

I would have but he would not order the parts without my bike being there i even tried giving him the vin # but no dice