Rc30 - Rvf750r/f - Vfr800fi Rear Axles And Cush Drives

Guest cbxfixer

Guest cbxfixer

I responded to a question some time back on this issue. And I am still unclear on the facts.

So here is my response to someone that thought an RC30 rear axle (without a cush drive) or a RVF750R/F (with what I believe has a small cush drive) onto a late model VFR800FI

The 1990 VFR750R (RC30) (300 built for AMA homologation) had no cush drive.

orig.gif

The 1990 – 1993 RVF750F (RC45) did have a small cush drive and single bolt rear axle from what I recall.

orig.gif

The I994 – 1997 RVF750F (RC45) also continued with a small cush drive and single rear axle (though Honda’s parts fish shows both with four lugs and wheel nuts as with the VFR800 series). I have never seen an RC45 so configured – all had single bolt rear axles.

standard.jpg

Two photos of 1994 RVF750F showing the single bolt rear axle and the last of a 1997 model with what appears to be a small cush drive (Though I have never handled one).

1994hondarvf750rrc45849lz6.jpg

1994hondarvf750rrc45849vb7.jpg

1143796355bd0.jpg

And the1998-2001 VFR800FI with a large cush drive and the four lug and nut wheel mount

orig.gif

A photo showing a 2000 VFR800FI axle assembly compared to 1990 VFR750F (RC30) – the long and short of it.

orig.jpg

All the bearings, seals and spacing were identical (as are Honda’s P/Ns. The only difference in the axle shafts were their length – the shortest being the 1990 RC30 with no cush drive to the longest belonging to the VFR800 series to accommodate the large cush drive. I do believe that the RVF750F series did employ a small cush drive and had a slightly longer axle than the RC30 – but I have never really confirmed this – and the Honds RC45 line drawing showing lug and nut hub configuration for the RVF750 has me flummoxed.

In fact – I do not know if any VFR750R or F incorporated a cush drive which would make all the 1990 RC30 axle hardware compatible. I would certainly like to hear from some owners on this matter.

Finally, my hand-made one-off rear axle on my 2000 VFR800FI which used no welds, exotic steels, ground (not cut) threads and an RC 30 axle shaft and wheel nut hardware (wheel mounted is a five spoke Dymag cast magnesium in “Silver Sparkle” finish). There may be modified rear axles out there for mounting a single bolt RC45 wheel to an VFR800 series bike – but I could not find on at the time I modified my Gen 5. And I wanted the axle to be the last part to fail on my ride (and by design, the wheel and swingarm would fail well in advance. Watch that wheel torque closely when using cast magnesium wheels.

orig.jpg

All the best,

John

PS: JOE - if yoy are still reading the board, maybe you could access the OEM fisf for the RXF750R/F series - the one I have is obviously wrong - thanks in advance.

The info and pics are incorrect. The RC30 and RC45 are both single nut wheel retention and without cush drive.

The picture you describe as the 90-93 RC45 (which does not exist) is actually the 3rd Gen VFR750F. The picture of the 94-97 RC45 is actually 4th Gen. They both have cush drives and 4 nut wheel retention.

Try www.crotchrocket.com for correct pics. They list the RC30 (VFR750R) in 1990 and RC45 (RVF750R) in 1994.

The info and pics are incorrect. The RC30 and RC45 are both single nut wheel retention and without cush drive.

The picture you describe as the 90-93 RC45 (which does not exist) is actually the 3rd Gen VFR750F. The picture of the 94-97 RC45 is actually 4th Gen. They both have cush drives and 4 nut wheel retention.

Try www.crotchrocket.com for correct pics. They list the RC30 (VFR750R) in 1990 and RC45 (RVF750R) in 1994.

Thank you for the correction. I knew well ahead something was wrong as stated in my post. I learn something new every day.

Thanks and best regards,

John

standard.jpg

• Member Contributer

Guess I should have chimed in here sooner, since I have one of each, but it has been very difficult to type, since I crashed at the mini-motard races two weekends back and dinged up my right hand and left side pretty good (bad!) But I am healing pretty well...just hurts more at 51 than it did at 18! :unsure:

Actually, the first parts fiche image is the correct one for the RC30. The other images are not for the RC45. Neither of the set ups work for the 6th Gen VFR (which I also have).

Other than wheel design & cool factor, I am not sure why you would want to convert to single nut axle for routine road use. I find I can pull the wheel on my VFR800 faster than the RC's because of safety wires, etc. Plus no center stands on the RC30 = needing a lift/stand. But looks like a neat conversion. :thumbsup:

ronayers.com has the correct parts fiche images also. BTW, the RC 45 first you show is the one I have now. Would love to find out about the second one's exhaust system...cool.

Cheers! :salesman:

• 5 years later...
  • Member Contributer

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

As you can see, there are enough differences to make using 'some' RC45 parts difficult, but enough similarities to make using 'all' the RC45 parts a definite possibility.

• Member Contributer

Don't think RC45, think RVF400 or VFR400 parts, they are the same & Honda made tens of thousands of them, so parts are available & relatively cheap. RC45 parts are unobtanium !

• Member Contributer

Don't think RC45, think RVF400 or VFR400 parts, they are the same & Honda made tens of thousands of them, so parts are available & relatively cheap. RC45 parts are unobtanium !

Just not for us on the other side of the pond. Remember, we didn't get any of the cool bikes.

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/15/2013 at 6:08 AM, Mohawk said:

Dang it. working on a cush drive and while researching found the link is dead.....

Archived