My New 8 Spoke (won It On Ebay)

ki-speed

• Member Contributer

Won this 8 spoke on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...019778&rd=1

Based on the going rate for 8 spokes I think I did OK. Now I have 3 rears (2 reg and 1 8 spoke) and 2 fronts).

Nice! Congrats on the cool new wheel.

Got a question for all 8-spoke fans: They look great, but is there any benefit to an 8-spoke wheel beside the look? Not planning to buy one, just curious. Thanks.

• Member Contributer
is there any benefit to an 8-spoke wheel beside the look? just curious.
Well, if you don't know, we're certainly not going to tell you!!! :rolleyes:

Nice! Congrats on the cool new wheel.

Got a question for all 8-spoke fans: They look great, but is there any benefit to an 8-spoke wheel beside the look? Not planning to buy one, just curious. Thanks.

cccoooollll factor B)

Guest nominal_squid

They definitely look cooler than the 5-spokes, IMO...BUT (there's always a but), they are 5.5" wide, and they weight significantly more than the 5-spoke 4G wheels. Personally that's a deal-killer for me because I like to run 160-section rear tires and don't like adding unsprung weight...but they still look great! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Bastard! I'm the one who bid $375 <_< So what was your max bid? Congrats, by the way :thumbsup:

By the way... would you be interested in selling one of your 5-spokes to me? I need another wheel so I can have one for commuting and one for sport riding, and I was hoping to grab an 8-spoke. I'm at the point where I just need something, though, and you're not too far from me. Let me know if you're willing.

Kegan

Guest DonnyBallGame
8 spoker weighs 13.2 lbs. I weighed mine a couple weeks ago. Whats a 5 spoke rim weigh?

I have heard the number of 12 lbs tossed around. I will weigh mine next time I have the tire off.

Guest nominal_squid

If I remember correctly it was very close to 12 flat/upper 11's. Anyone with access to the Honda parts flat-file (exported by the Hondanet application) and the part number can find the weight in grams. It's been awhile so I can't recall the exact figures though.

The inertial drag of 1lb additional weight, calculated in a 17 inch wheel translates roughly to a 6-8 hp loss against the 8 spoker wheel, compared to the 4th gen "Superleggera" five spoker!

(Calcs performed on 2007 IBS computer)

Beck

95 VFR...Superleggera

• Member Contributer

What's the comparison between a 6th gen 5 spoke and the 93 8 spoke? I would think it is not as great. The 93 8 spoke and the 2002-7 5 spoke are both 5.5 inch wide were as the 4th gen 5 spoke is 5 inch wide ( I think)?

Just trying to justify going with the better looking wheel without losing much power.

Thanks,

mark