Real Electronic Cruise Control

Guest oz-e

Let me start with the usual disclaimer. I do not work for these guys & am just an ecstatic buyer of one of these great products.

MC Cruise are an Australian company that produce electronic cruise controls specifically for bikes & 4 wheelers. They have been making them for over 10 years & their quality & detailed instructions are superb. I have just installed one of their kits on my 04 VFR & taken it for a 300km test. This is the best modification I have done so far.

The good news is that their kits for the VFR 800 from 1998 to 2007 are now custom made for the particular models including the ABS version. In the past you had to modify a "universal" wiring loom even though they supplied all the plugs & cables etc. The new kits come with a custom wiring loom all made up with all plugs & wire lengths, insulated & ready to plug & play. In addition the ECU "computer" is preprogrammed for the VFR (though can still be altered if so desired).

It took me 2 nights & a morning to install from their very thorough instructions which contain photos of every step. If I had to do it again & reckon I could install in 4 to 5 hours now.

The unit has every possible safety measure built in & disengages with the use of either brake or the clutch. It also has a tach sensor & disengages with preset overrevving or if the speed increases or drops below a certain percentage. All the kit fits totally out of the way behind the left fairing so apart from the neat control unit on the left handlebar you don't even know its fitted & all parts are supplied.

The really GOOD NEWS is that they have just dropped the price of the units by $100 if you buy from their website & they deliver world wide & have agents in many countries (check their website). I paid AU$700 delivered including GST & freight so for all you international people it will be even cheaper cause you will get it tax free. Considering that a Throttlemeister would be AU$350 out here I consider this to be excellent value.

Only downside I have found so far is that the throttle is slightly heavier (as there is another cable to pull through their custom actuator box). I consider this a small price to pay for the convenience of a true electronic cruise control. If you do any longish rides this has to be the best addition you can make to your bike with the added benefit of relieving the right hand, not having to keep an eye on the speedo all the time & great savings in fuel economy. Yep I'm impressed & not just because it is an Australian designed & made product. :thumbsup:

Check out the VFR kits here MC Cruise

As I said I don't have any connection with these guys but am just passing this on for any others out there looking for a real cruise solution like me.

I can add photos if anyone is interested.

Dave

Nice to know about the install.... I've had one in a box since winter and I'm just waiting for a new set of largers BALLZ 'N GUTZ to show up to install it! :goofy:

Who knows? I finally broke down and drilled HOLEZ through perfectly good fairings and installed Radar's Sliderz after only about FIVE months, so I guess ANYTHING is possible now.. :joystick:

I just have to finish up my plans for the new Space Shuttle first. :unsure: :goofy:

Mine has seen me on two trips to California and 7 years of usage. Works like a top.

And the USED to sell the MC specific kits, including the VFR, which is what I bought in 2000.

They then discontinued the model specific kits except for some fast moving models, so you then had to adapt a universal unit.

Now apparently, they have plug 'n play units available again. Hooray!

Holy crap! They want AUD $633 for a 6th gen kit. :huh: I remember a couple of years ago the kit were only $300. <_<

Still, I've heard nothing but good things about these guys. I know a guy who got one for his Valkyrie and he loves it.

• Member Contributer
Holy crap! They want AUD $633 for a 6th gen kit. :huh: I remember a couple of years ago the kit were only $300. <_<

Still, I've heard nothing but good things about these guys. I know a guy who got one for his Valkyrie and he loves it.

I can relate .....w/ the Valkyrie, you are pulling the strings on 6 carbs, and even with the oversize throttle grip, a little help from time to time would be welcome.

• Member Contributer

Hard to argue with the simplicity of a throttlemeister. They can usually be had for less than $100 USD on eBay. It's doubtful to find an MC in a secondary marketplace. Spending five hours on electrics isn't my idea of fun. I'd prolly screw it up.

Hard to argue with the simplicity of a throttlemeister. They can usually be had for less than $100 USD on eBay. It's doubtful to find an MC in a secondary marketplace. Spending five hours on electrics isn't my idea of fun. I'd prolly screw it up.

Yabut, this works EXACTLY like the cruise on your car. Set, Accel, Resume, all the features.

It shuts off shen you tap either brake, and of you're foolish enough to pull in the clutch lever with the cruise engaged, it senses the engine revs increasing rapidly and disengages the cruise. Pretty smart if you ask me.

And it maintains the speed just wonderfully. Up hill, down hill, whatever. The sensitivity has 3 positions of adjustment so you can tailor the response of the cruise to your particular bike. Mine is set on LOW as I have a bike with a (relatively) high HP/weight ratio.

Heavyweight cruisers might do better on medium, and smallbore motorcycles perhaps on high. (experimentation needed on your own ride/roads).

After 7 years of flawless operation, I think it was well worth the money. :thumbsup:

Look for the module under the LH handlebar:

gallery_554_564_6019.jpg

100_0516.JPG

I checked into this and chatted with them in Australia but could not find a dealer locally (In Ohio) to install. I have a big trip coming up in a month and cannot find anyone to install. sad.gif

He even called a few of the Honda Dealerships in town here but they were not interested in installing. Rats!

Guest jatlrdierk

I'm sold. Just need some dough. I just did the valve adjustment, so this should be pretty mild compared to that.

Does the throttle grip rotate on its own? As in, do you have to have your hands off of the right grip while it does its thing, or does it disengage?

What's the difference between the Type 1 speedo connector and the Type 2? Also, there is a Type 1 brake connector and a Type 2. The links don't work on the web site.

If you have pics of the installation, they would be nice to see.

Edited by jatlrdierk

I'm sold. Just need some dough. I just did the valve adjustment, so this should be pretty mild compared to that.

Does the throttle grip rotate on its own? As in, do you have to have your hands off of the right grip while it does its thing, or does it disengage?

Yes, the throttle tube rotates on it's own as the cruise either applies or slacks off the throttle automatically. The movement is slight, it's not a problem. You keep your hand on the throttle, but relax your grip and let the cruise work. Don't fight it. But you can easily dial in more throttle should the situation arise. The cruise won't fight you if you grab more throttle than required to maintain your current speed. Like when passing a car on a long straight stretch.

It WILL fight you if you try to close the throttle though. Best to tap the brakes and it disengages in a snap. Easily learned technique, same as your car.

What's the difference between the Type 1 speedo connector and the Type 2? Also, there is a Type 1 brake connector and a Type 2. The links don't work on the web site.

The connectors are specific to the years of VFR. For example, '98-99 and '00-01 have different brake light switch connectors (bullet Vs Molex).

All you have to do is look at your brake light switch, trace the wires up to the harness and see which type of connector you have. I imagine the speedo is similar.

See link here: http://www.mccruise.com/shop/schematics/b_...20plug%20id.pdf

I checked into this and chatted with them in Australia but could not find a dealer locally (In Ohio) to install. I have a big trip coming up in a month and cannot find anyone to install. sad.gif

He even called a few of the Honda Dealerships in town here but they were not interested in installing. Rats!

I did it myself, took several hours, but that included removing and installing the fairings. It wasn't difficult, just time consuming because I was triple-checking everything as I went.

If you can change a clutch, brake pads, or steering head bearings, troubleshoot a bad R/R, battery or stator and replace same, then the cruise install isn't a stretch at all.

Too bad your not closer, I'd do it. I'm sure we could work out some sort of deal. I love tinkering in the garage and this is the sort of stuff I do for fun. I put a universal Audiovox cruise control on my 2001 S-10 Blazer because it didn't come with it and couldn't live without it.

Too bad your not closer, I'd do it. I'm sure we could work out some sort of deal. I love tinkering in the garage and this is the sort of stuff I do for fun. I put a universal Audiovox cruise control on my 2001 S-10 Blazer because it didn't come with it and couldn't live without it.

Yes, that would be nice!

If you have a 04 VFR like mine, this is what Tony Guymer from MC Cruise sent me to tell the difference between the speedometer connectors ... the last pages shows you how to identify which one you need. See this brochure

Believe me the install is not difficult & I also took a long time because I kept checking everything along the way. As I said I reckon I could knock it over in 4 to 5 hours now from go to whoa. Be aware that many of the photos you might see are for the older VFR's &/or those with ABS. On my 04 vtec without ABS the actuator fits neatly in the left fairing space & NOT in front of the engine near the oil filter. Plus the computer fits in a foam block under the central frame spar under the seat.

If you are into touring or are getting a little older & the body is not what it used to be, to me this is money well spent compared to what most spend on aftermarket exhausts.

I will try to find time & pull the fairing off & take some photos for you.

Dave

Guest jatlrdierk
If you have a 04 VFR like mine, this is what Tony Guymer from MC Cruise sent me to tell the difference between the speedometer connectors ... the last pages shows you how to identify which one you need. See this brochure

Believe me the install is not difficult & I also took a long time because I kept checking everything along the way. As I said I reckon I could knock it over in 4 to 5 hours now from go to whoa. Be aware that many of the photos you might see are for the older VFR's &/or those with ABS. On my 04 vtec without ABS the actuator fits neatly in the left fairing space & NOT in front of the engine near the oil filter. Plus the computer fits in a foam block under the central frame spar under the seat.

If you are into touring or are getting a little older & the body is not what it used to be, to me this is money well spent compared to what most spend on aftermarket exhausts.

I will try to find time & pull the fairing off & take some photos for you.

Dave

I have an 04 non ABS (red, of course).

Don't worry about the time to take the fairing off for pics. It will be a few months before I am able to afford this essential element, but it is definitely on the list. I am the same way...very tedious when it comes to working on the bike. I stay sober and all...sucks.

I am into touring and I'm getting older. I'm friggin' 27 going on 28 after all. I just made a 500 mile weekend and the CC would have been great for that trip.

Probably gonna get in a load a dung for this.... How far is it to Barffalo flag_newyork.gif from Ohio flag_ohio.gif ? :rolleyes:

Joe Foe has one on his and maybe you could bribe him with 'girlie' pictures.... +1.gif

Tell him Cougar said he was 'HOT' :goofy:

gallery_8015_3073_514411.jpg

Name witheld pending notification of next of kin...gallery_8015_3073_195058.jpg

DSCF0090.JPG

• Member Contributer

I would have to agree that these are EXCELLENT kits.

I had the opportunity to check out Mr Veefer800Canuck's ride and follow it for many miles, and the cruise is rock solid.

I would say it holds the speed steady better than any cars I've driven.

I found it hard to keep my speed constant behind him. Every time I sped up or slowed down even the tiniest bit, I was gaining or falling behind.

Only issue I would have is its price.

I had to have a real cruise, so I've bought an Audiovox CCS-100 which I have STILL not gotten around to installing yet. It isn't as good, but it is quite a bit cheaper and probably not much more difficult to install than the MC Cruise universal, from what I can tell......

I hope to add a tech article when I finally get some free time to work on mine.

My time lately has been sucked up working on my cage project (I'm not just a bike nut; I love anything with an engine in it.)

Cruise install shall commence in the fall when it becomes a little chilly for riding but there is no ice on the ground yet.

Guest jatlrdierk

Has anyone seen

? It's someone showing his installation of an Audiovox cruise control system on his red '04. Is the MCM anything like this? The wiring and some of the fabrication in the video doesn't look as smooth as described for the MCM.

Has anyone seen
? It's someone showing his installation of an Audiovox cruise control system on his red '04. Is the MCM anything like this? The wiring and some of the fabrication in the video doesn't look as smooth as described for the MCM.

That is not it, that is car system that has been modified to fit I think. The MCM is made to suit your bike specifically. The only issue I had with fitting was the throttle cable. The cable adapter is well made, but tricky to set up I found. Wiring loom was well made.