Replace Stator And Flywheel - How To With Pics

Guest talus

Ok guys - at risk of sounding like a complete muppet - any clues as to how to prise the stator cover off?? All the bolts are out and I've tried to prise it off using the lugs, tried just pulling, tapped it gently with hammer and piece of wood - even tried shedding a few tears at the thought of sending it to a dealer for repair - alas, none of these have worked. I presume that the cover will not handle too much knocking so I'm running out of ideas. Any thoughts?? Cheers

• Member Contributer

Make absolutely tripple sure that all the bolts are off.

Then take a large screwdriver and find some tabs to pry it off - it is stuck to the gasket.

Use your judgement to how hard you wana pry.

Hi Rice - thanks for quick response. I'll get back onto it tomorrow (dark outside now) using with 2 super long screwdrivers I now have for the job. I did find it diffilcult to find any part srtong enough to lever it form though. One tab near the front can be accessed via the exhaust pipes but the other I have tried to lever off of the strongest part of the bike in the vicinity of the gear change. Interestingly I've just seprated the 2 side fairing and pan parts that I took off as one unit as the bottom two wellnuts were seized - the oil pipes are very corroded and the aluminium bits at and around the stator casing (eg cooling system parts) are showing signs of oxidization. Due no doubt to me using the bike all year round and no garage!! Hope this isn't part the reason I may be having problems - can't really see it as the gasket should be totally mated between the 2 ally parts and I guess corrosion should play no part in my probs? However, I'll have a crack at this tomorrow (pardon the pun) and try to prise the cover off of the dowels and break the gasket seal. Thanks again - Pete

Joy of joy - a little bit more bruteforce and ignorance and the stator cover popped off - went at one of the tabs with a very long screwdriver (18inches) in between the pipes . Thanks to all for their help. However, just spent the last hour trying to pull the old stator wires through and again I appear to be having a pig of a job - have decided to use stronger draw wire (nearly lost it trying to pull it back to where I started) - will get that smoother shape with the tape to help ease it through and a better torch so as I can see what's going on - back to it tomorrow.

For those interested I did find pulling the new wires backthrough a piece of cake - must have just been unlucky with pulling the old wiring loom out. New stator fitted - all charging as per norm - job done. Just one word of warning, I didn't pull the lower wiring loom out of the way enough and had trouble when trying to get the new stator fitting flush - you guessed it, the lower right woring loom was trapped and it was not that obvious, believe it or not, to see what was causing the problem. Pulled the new stator off, pulled the loom WELL AWAY, and getting it back was really easy. Personally didn't see the need for guide bolts but it must help if you have them. Thanks to all for your help - OKAY, next two jobs.................thermostat (oh NO!!)..... and the badly corroded oil cooler pipes on both sides. Cheers

Love the idea of using longer bolts to guide the cover into place.

I cut the heads off a couple really long bolts with the correct thread and put them in the engine case, adjacent to the two locating dowels and the cover just popped right on, aided of course by the magnets sucking the stator into place.

Used the rest of the cover bolts to EVENLY pull the cover the last few MM into contact with the block and all is well.

Now once I get the throttle bodies hooked up, I will know how the charging voltage is.

• 10 months later...

Ok so I got the stator redone, rewound. I installed it just now and it does not charge as it was before the problem developed.

Now; 11.5 at idle, lights on. 12.30 lights off. after 4 minutes of this, shut off and it didn't want to come back on. (the battery is brand new)

Before; it was charging 13.30 idle, at 14.50 at 2k RPM. It is using an RR from a Suz 1k, had been using it for 3 years now and all was well.

I'm trying to find the previous RR, the original one, that I took off 3 years ago, and test with that. I was never sure the original RR was a problem, just changed it because I found that other RR.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Ok so I got the stator redone, rewound. I installed it just now and it does not charge as it was before the problem developed.

Now; 11.5 at idle, lights on. 12.30 lights off. after 4 minutes of this, shut off and it didn't want to come back on. (the battery is brand new)

Before; it was charging 13.30 idle, at 14.50 at 2k RPM. It is using an RR from a Suz 1k, had been using it for 3 years now and all was well.

I'm trying to find the previous RR, the original one, that I took off 3 years ago, and test with that. I was never sure the original RR was a problem, just changed it because I found that other RR.

I am waiting on my stator and r/r as I type.. but as for the the rewind..if they didnt change the wire, my problem was the grounding wire to the stator. Once I unpluged the 3p stator plug my battery dying over has stopped!! I am on 4 nights and if anything by battery has gone up in tested volts. So excited to discover after spending hours here and in every other forum and several youtube post, but you will have to get a $10 voltage meter and check the ground in the wire and against something metal or the stator cover. I also replaced the fuse wire w autozone $3.97 weatherproof fuse holder.

I write this because this forum has save this years riding season and about 800 bucks!! Thank you guys and good luck

• Member Contributer

I also had a rewound do the same thing. It failed on the same legs as before. I checked all of the wiring all over the bike, to no avail. I gave up and ordered an OEM from the local stealership at a negotiated price and was up in 48h.

Edited by thtanner

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread, very helpful for when my '02 has an extra-crispy stator. Does anybody know if there's a way to tell if the upgraded stator/rotor have been installed in a 2002 without removing the stator cover and measuring the flywheel diameter?

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the aftermarket stator world, it can be hit or miss,

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Is the recall only on the 2002? I have a 2003 with 23k, did the vharness, installed voltage meter and cleaned connections not long after I bought it because 30amp fuse was getting warmer then I liked. But it seems like lately the voltage is still low at idle. I have seen 12.3v at idle with lights on high and fan rums. Always is about 14.2 around 2500k or above though.

• Member Contributer

Is the recall only on the 2002? I have a 2003 with 23k, did the vharness, installed voltage meter and cleaned connections not long after I bought it because 30amp fuse was getting warmer then I liked. But it seems like lately the voltage is still low at idle. I have seen 12.3v at idle with lights on high and fan rums. Always is about 14.2 around 2500k or above though.

The recall went through 2005. Call the nearest dealer and read them your VIN # - they can tell you if it's been done. This thread from the Superhawk forum discusses why R/R's eventually fail and the behavior they often exhibit when they do - might give some insight in to the fluctuating voltage.

http://www.superhawk...-why-how-25117/

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished replacing the stator.

Used shishkebob skewers for guides when putting cover back on. Worked like a charm!

Really really long metric bolts of the same thread, with the heads cut off, make the best install tools for the stator and cover assembly.

• Member Contributer

Just finished replacing the stator.

Used shishkebob skewers for guides when putting cover back on. Worked like a charm!

Really really long metric bolts of the same thread, with the heads cut off, make the best install tools for the stator and cover assembly.

Ditto!

StatorPins.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't read this thread before changing a 6th gen stator & fly wheel & kaldek on page two does show the special tool required to remove fly wheel. My Honda special tool is a standard 20mm metric fine bolt (metric fine is 1.5mm pitch thread).

Screw bolt into flywheel place ratchet gun on bolt & flywheel comes off in a second. zero need to modify a puller or buy any special tool.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction.. i own a vfr 800 fi '98.. ive read of re alls done by honda.. is a ongoing process? Or is it model specific with a time or date limit?

I have a feeling mine hasnt been done yet and id lime to take advantage of this if possible.

Thanks in advance

Cobus

Recalls.. dam querty

• Member Contributer

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction.. i own a vfr 800 fi '98.. ive read of re alls done by honda.. is a ongoing process? Or is it model specific with a time or date limit?

I have a feeling mine hasnt been done yet and id lime to take advantage of this if possible.

Thanks in advance

Cobus

Recalls.. dam querty

I don't believe 5th gens had any recall issues.