Producing A Fix For The Regulator/rectifier Wiring Issue

Tightwad

One of my issues with the install was how to fit all that mass of heavier guage wires and the connectors under the fairing on the right side. It seemed like I had to bend the wires almost into knots to get it under the plastic and then it still was a force fit. I'm sure I did something wrong. A couple of months ago I removed the VFRness to troubleshoot an electrical problem. I'm condisering reinstalling it , but not looking forward to craming it all under the plastic again. Any suggestions?

With the recall there are now more wires/connectors in that area than there were originally...thus it is a tighter fit. with a bit of forethought everything still fits however.

Maybe I should get the recall done so I can look at changes...but then I have to take it in!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I responded via PM...but for those who also want to know:

I screwed up and made both ends female on the purple wire. Could be my inner female lovingness manifesting itself? could be too many late nights? Either way that one was my fault...sorry about that!

There are no unused R/R or stator connections when installing the VFRness. It fits inbetween the existing R/R (not stator) connectors. This provides a duplicate path back to the battery, instead of an alternate path as many other options do...which inherently have the same issue the VFR does over time.

That explains why I had no high beams, or front signal lights. Remember I had the HID kit so I had low beams . The previous owner had straight wired the stator and R/R.

P.S. I fix the purple wire wasn't a big deal but did not want you to make hundred of the wrong ones !!!

Straight wiring the Stator to the R/R won't impact the VFRness, but the R/R being hardwired to the rest of the harness would of course. Feel free to call/email me if you still have questions

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I had a deja vu moment when I started reading this post, then I remembered why. Two years ago, before I even had a bike, I stumbled upon it when I was searching for info on doing a Big Three upgrade while installing a stereo in my car (Batt (-) to frame, Alt to Batt(+), Frame to engine block). I ended up doing one on our other vehicle too, just because it makes sense. Reading this felt like being a witness to history in the making, like going back in time and watching the VFRness evolve. That sounds majorly corny, but I don't know how else to say it. Thanks for your hard work in making this awesome plug and play charging system upgrade for our bikes. You've got my business! :fing02:

• 2 years later...

Just finished my vfrness install and the blue connector fix on my 2003 abs model my initial problem was stator/rectifier connection block was melted (only 1wire thankfully ) installing it couldn't be simpler and tested as per instructions and all voltages in order i also used the stator repair kit and tested the stator for resistance and shorts to earth as per instruction on the wiremybike website and all perfect so it looks like i caught the problem in time.

however i have 2 concerns

1. My rectifier heats up very quickly and very hot to touch like its being overworked even at idle i know its supposed to heat up hense the cooling fins and its position being moved from the back of the previous model to the front but its REALLY HOT ? wondering if its on the way out because of the initial problem

2. Has fitting the harness DEFINITELY put an end to my woes or do i need to do other grounding fixes like the yellow block in the front sub-harness (soldering 13 earths together ) im going to visually check it anyway but if its visually ok then I'd rather leave it be

Edited by Deltel

• Member Contributer

Just finished my vfrness install and the blue connector fix on my 2003 abs model my initial problem was stator/rectifier connection block was melted (only 1wire thankfully ) installing it couldn't be simpler and tested as per instructions and all voltages in order i also used the stator repair kit and tested the stator for resistance and shorts to earth as per instruction on the wiremybike website and all perfect so it looks like i caught the problem in time.

1. My rectifier heats up very quickly and very hot to touch like its being overworked even at idle i know its supposed to heat up hense the cooling fins and its position being moved from the back of the previous model to the front but its REALLY HOT wondering if its on the way out because of the initial problem

2. Has fitting the harness DEFINITELY put an end to my woes or do i need to do other grounding fixes like the yellow block in the front sub-harness (soldering 13 earths together ) im going to visually check it anyway but if its visually ok then I'd rather leave it be

SH775

3R]U9

PJO

No heat at all with this R|R ..

New updates on the VFRness front:Orders continue to come in, and shipments go out. I currently have 5 VFRnesses under construction.This weekend I had the pleasure of designing a VFRness version for the 1998-1999 model bikes. In a 6 hour marathon session we managed to work around missing key issues (not the easiest part for sure), fit and finish the VFRness, Fit and Finish an accessory fuse holder, and Custom fit a brand new replacement R/R. Much thanks to amcnally336 who offered his bike as the test subject, and bore with me as I went through various iterations of fit options until we found the best version. The results were all we had hoped for(except we had hoped his R/R wouldn’t need replaced of course). I will post the actual numbers along with pictures in a little bit. VFRness will be available for order by Friday.Lobster was also hard at work this weekend, taking my currently somewhat generic 2000-2001 kit and fuse panel, and making it a more perfect fit for those models. He provided tons of pictures, and will be offering change advise to me. I look forward to receiving that and passing along the installation tips he gives. Pictures from that also coming.Last but not least, I have good news for the PowerletTM lovers out there….I am now an Authorized PowerletTM dealer. I will be incorporating their product into various parts of my Harnesses where possible, to offer a wider variety of custom fit applications. If they make it, I can get it from them for you! I will be testing a couple of their options on my own bike to see how the fit and finish is.Pictures of everything to come, I am hosting them on my website as I have used all of my VFRD bandwidth, and it is taking time to setup the Gallery there.

1. My rectifier heats up very quickly and very hot to touch like its being overworked even at idle i know its supposed to heat up hense the cooling fins and its position being moved from the back of the previous model to the front but its REALLY HOT wondering if its on the way out because of the initial problem