Producing A Fix For The Regulator/rectifier Wiring Issue

Tightwad

Guest perimund

Installed VFRness + new R/R (I already have a new stator) today.

Tightwad: 1A+ tnx dude! - I hope that is not wrong i turned R/R uPside dOWN.

idle 13,7, from 2000-6000 14,7V constant.

If U like your bike go for VFRness!

Peter

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Another satisfied customer here. The R/R on my 99 was dying and Tightwad walked me through the diagnosis. Ordered a new R/R and harness from him, he shipped promptly, and then answered my questions on the install.

I can't say thanks enough for all the help. If you even THINK you might need/want an upgrade/replacement, check with Tightwad first! :biggrin:

Thanks all for the kind words!

For those who are interested, based on user feedback I have shortened the 12 gauge wires another 2 inches to try to save space.

• Member Contributer
Another satisfied customer here. The R/R on my 99 was dying and Tightwad walked me through the diagnosis. Ordered a new R/R and harness from him, he shipped promptly, and then answered my questions on the install.

I can't say thanks enough for all the help. If you even THINK you might need/want an upgrade/replacement, check with Tightwad first! :biggrin:

Seriously +1 to this! I ordered the VFRness and his fuse panel about a week ago. I haven't had any issues with the R/R, but I know it's a problem area...I had seen the posts about adding a wire here and there, and I have technical ability to do it myself...but with all the kind words Tightwad has received over this was enough for me to just pay him for the harness....and it was worth every penny....in time saved and eased of installation. I had a couple of questions and Tightwad emailed me right back with concise easy to follow answers.... if (fingers crossed) my R/R ever goes...I know I will be going to Tightwad for the new one.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

+1 on the satisfied customer.

Kudo's Tightwad.

Very impressed with the quality of the wiring harness, looks like factory wiring(only better).

Same charging improvent as reported by others...solid 14.1v-14.3v from 2200 to 7500 RPM's with high beams + flashers on.

Before the VFRness...14v at idle...13.3 at 7000 RPM's with low beams only.

If you don't have one, get one.

• 1 month later...
Guest ChrisW
NOW TAKING ALL ORDERS 1998-2007!!!

After reading thread upon thread, and fix upon fix, as well as doing my own R/R sensor wire fix, I have decided to pursue producing an after market wiring harness. I am tossing around a couple ideas, and could use some target audience input.

Tightwad,

I hope you get f'ing rich off this stuff.

Over the years I've replaced 2 wiring harnesses, every sensor, two batteries, two stators, I don't know how many RR's, etc, etc, etc, before spending the short money on this thing. Not an issue since. I probably dropped a couple grand fixing Honda's crap electrics before I came across this thing.

Suddenly, after 4 years of dicking around with this thing between breakdowns while i put miles on an FJR I shouldn't have needed to buy, at 90K miles the VFR has regained reliable status.

If we ever meet, I'll probably need to give you a hug, and want to kiss a little bit or something. :blink:

Edited by ChrisW

NOW TAKING ALL ORDERS 1998-2007!!!

After reading thread upon thread, and fix upon fix, as well as doing my own R/R sensor wire fix, I have decided to pursue producing an after market wiring harness. I am tossing around a couple ideas, and could use some target audience input.

Tightwad,

I hope you get f'ing rich off this stuff.

Over the years I've replaced 2 wiring harnesses, every sensor, two batteries, two stators, I don't know how many RR's, etc, etc, etc, before spending the short money on this thing. Not an issue since. I probably dropped a couple grand fixing Honda's crap electrics before I came across this thing.

Suddenly, after 4 years of dicking around with this thing between breakdowns while i put miles on an FJR I shouldn't have needed to buy, at 90K miles the VFR has regained reliable status.

If we ever meet, I'll probably need to give you a hug, and want to kiss a little bit or something. :blink:

I would be happy just shaking your hand I believe....cash donations also accepted :huh:

I am glad to have helped, I find pleasure in it, even if it won't make me rich.

• 5 months later...

Just joined vfrd and found this thread,what a bonus.

This is my second vfr750fv, which I bought 2 weeks ago, last owner replaced the battery and r/r, but after stripping the bike to go through end to end, as I do when I buy a new bike, I found the plug to the r/r has a burnt terminal, on removal from the unit, I can see some burning to the terminal, only very light, question is, will I have to replace this, or can I clean up the pin.

I have in the past, on my own bikes and my son's removed the connector which joins the alternator to the loom and to the r/r and hard wired it.

The fv(97) has 5 wires 3 yellow 1 red 1 green.

I do like the idea of the loom ( plug and play)type.

Just joined vfrd and found this thread,what a bonus.

This is my second vfr750fv, which I bought 2 weeks ago, last owner replaced the battery and r/r, but after stripping the bike to go through end to end, as I do when I buy a new bike, I found the plug to the r/r has a burnt terminal, on removal from the unit, I can see some burning to the terminal, only very light, question is, will I have to replace this, or can I clean up the pin.

I have in the past, on my own bikes and my son's removed the connector which joins the alternator to the loom and to the r/r and hard wired it.

The fv(97) has 5 wires 3 yellow 1 red 1 green.

I do like the idea of the loom ( plug and play)type.

Once the connectors burn, they don't seem to be the same. Hopefully you caught it soon enough!

Joshua

Tightwad,

I hope so,

do you do a loom to fit the 750 fv version, as I might as well replace the wiring whilst I have the bike in bits.

kev

The VFRness for the 750 is different from the rest in that it doesn't T into the charging circuit, but actually replaces a good bit of it...see the thread linked in my signature for more details, and you can find it on my website of course....but better data and pictures are compiled here on this great site.

Joshua

• Member Contributer

hi kev,seasons greetings,just to but in i had burnt connectors etc on my fv wiring ,i used tight wads upgrade it sorted the problem out and am getting solid reading on my volt meter,20,000 miles + since rewire .i now carry out a wirig visual insp as part of my servicing regime.cheers rob. :schla15: hope this helps.

Tightwad,

thanks for the reply, I can't quite grasp what happens to the wiring from the starter relay area, have you replaced the red/white wire with a red wire and put an inline fuse in there,the earth directly to the battery, stator wires just replaced with heavy gauge wire and new connectors,( I hard wired my son's cbr to eliminate the faulty/loose terminals at the stator plug.)

I have another problem with the bike I have just bought, it appears to have been a cat D, which has been bodged back together, the wiring from the ignition switch to the loom has been altered, it should have a 3 pin arrangement, but has a 5 pin plug which has been altered, do you know where I can buy the 3 pin plug, male and female, so that I can repair the wiring correctly, I will also have to replace the ignition switch.

regards

kev

The 3rd and 4th gen VFR has a 5 pin plug, with 3 smaller stator connections and the larger power and ground connections below them. If the R/R doesn't have this connection, then someone has spliced an R/R from a different model in.

The wires from the R/R plug go about 24" to another connection, where the stator wires come to from the stator.

Sorry Tightwad,

I may have mislead you here, the connector to the r/r has indeed 5 wires. 3 yellow (stator) 1 green (earth) and 1 red/white, I fully understand the replacement of the yellow wires, with heavy gauge than standard and the relocating the earth to the battery, but why the replacement of the red/white wire and the inclusion of an extra fuse?.

It's the ignition switch wires that have been messed with, it should have a 3 pin connector, someone has fit a 6 pin connector (90-93) models, then cut out the two brown wires and left the other space empty, my question in regard to the ignition switch, was do you have access to 3 pin connectors that could be used for the rewiring of the ignition switch.

many thanks

kev

Sorry Tightwad,

I may have mislead you here, the connector to the r/r has indeed 5 wires. 3 yellow (stator) 1 green (earth) and 1 red/white, I fully understand the replacement of the yellow wires, with heavy gauge than standard and the relocating the earth to the battery, but why the replacement of the red/white wire and the inclusion of an extra fuse?.

It's the ignition switch wires that have been messed with, it should have a 3 pin connector, someone has fit a 6 pin connector (90-93) models, then cut out the two brown wires and left the other space empty, my question in regard to the ignition switch, was do you have access to 3 pin connectors that could be used for the rewiring of the ignition switch.

many thanks

kev

The entire charging system on the 90-97 models essentially runs through the 14 gauge wire in the starter relay. This leads to burned up starter relay connections when the connection gets less than ideal...it happens so often my kit includes the Starter Relay Connector repair kit I also sell seperately.

I duplicated the path to the battery, with a second fuse. This 10 gauge wire leads to much more stable charging, and no more melting down the starter relay connection.

No connections are made to the ignition switch...just the Red/White wire in the starter relay.

I thought I had seen a diagram of circuit on one of these threads or your web site but I can not find it again, so you replace the red/white wire with a heavy gauge wire to handle better the amps, produced by the r/r.

regards

kev

I thought I had seen a diagram of circuit on one of these threads or your web site but I can not find it again, so you replace the red/white wire with a heavy gauge wire to handle better the amps, produced by the r/r.

regards

kev

There was a diagram of the 2002+ model, but it works under a different premise slightly. Essentially you have it correct, there is a 10 gauge wire from the R/R that goes to an inline heavy duty fuse holder. The is a wire that Y's off the 10 gauge that goes to the Starter Relay, where the original Red/White wire was. The other portion goes directly to the battery.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldhead

hi guys, off the subject quickly, i installed the vfrness on my 86, the collected grounds were bolted on the frame(wouldnt reach the battery) along with an additional ground from the battery neg.I read a steady 14.8 at idle and @5K .is that cool? or ...

dani

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

A couple of problems with VFRness kit with acces.

1. What do you suggest to do with the old stator and r/r wire connections

2. From the VFRness harness to the 4 port Acces. there no way to connect the purple wires together .

3. Send a couple 15A fuses for the 4 port Acces. block.

Here are pix's of the purple (both female connectors) wires.

P.S. I have email you a couple of times ..............

post-18972-0-80225400-1315588400_thumb.j

post-18972-0-68825400-1315588428_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I responded via PM...but for those who also want to know:

I screwed up and made both ends female on the purple wire. Could be my inner female lovingness manifesting itself? could be too many late nights? Either way that one was my fault...sorry about that!

There are no unused R/R or stator connections when installing the VFRness. It fits inbetween the existing R/R (not stator) connectors. This provides a duplicate path back to the battery, instead of an alternate path as many other options do...which inherently have the same issue the VFR does over time.

• Member Contributer

One of my issues with the install was how to fit all that mass of heavier guage wires and the connectors under the fairing on the right side. It seemed like I had to bend the wires almost into knots to get it under the plastic and then it still was a force fit. I'm sure I did something wrong. A couple of months ago I removed the VFRness to troubleshoot an electrical problem. I'm condisering reinstalling it , but not looking forward to craming it all under the plastic again. Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

I responded via PM...but for those who also want to know:

I screwed up and made both ends female on the purple wire. Could be my inner female lovingness manifesting itself? could be too many late nights? Either way that one was my fault...sorry about that!

There are no unused R/R or stator connections when installing the VFRness. It fits inbetween the existing R/R (not stator) connectors. This provides a duplicate path back to the battery, instead of an alternate path as many other options do...which inherently have the same issue the VFR does over time.

That explains why I had no high beams, or front signal lights. Remember I had the HID kit so I had low beams . The previous owner had straight wired the stator and R/R.

P.S. I fix the purple wire wasn't a big deal but did not want you to make hundred of the wrong ones !!!