Soaked Leather Suit And Boots

martinkap

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

I am sure you all got one day caught in the rain wearing your leathers. I am sure it is an interesting story but please, don't turn this thread into a "I need to tell you my wet story" +1.gif

My wet long story short: :rolleyes:

1) my leather suit is soaked so much that if I squeeze it, water start dripping

2) my boots are waterproof but not Goretex. Unfortunately my leather pants don't go over the boots, so all the water from my legs dripped into the boots, so when I took them off and turned them over, the water was pouring out. Obviously, they don't breeze so the water is trapped inside.

3) my gloves (expensive Alpinestars gp pro) are soaked so much that water is practically dripping with no squeezing necessary.

My concerns are that the weather here is very humid (hard to dry towels in past couple days) and I really cannot efficiently hang the leathers, gloves anywhere. How should I dry the things? I can turn the heater on or the stove on and position it near by or should I spent an evening with a hairdryer? However, I am afraid that leather which dries quickly get stiff and also shrinks (it used to be old torture practice to put a wet leather tight collar on prisoners neck and as the leather dried up, the prisoner got slowly choked). However, if I do nothing the leather will dry for days or start to grow mildew. Definitely the boots are the toughest issue and the gloves are the most precious. I would hate them to be all stiff and not soft.

Any advice is very appreciate it.

Martina

• Member Contributer

Put newspaper in all areas and do not let them dry beside a heat/constant air source. They will dry too quickly. I used newspaper in my playing days to dry out my leather gloves and it worked great with no damage to the leather.

Guest 767fixer

never dry your leather with heat as that will too rapidly dry the leather and causes cracking, shrinking ect. while its still wet clean off debris and then while still damp i douse it down with leather conditioner and let it dry by hanging. i have found the leather better takes the conditioner while still damp and doesnt become hard when dry

Definitely rub in some conditioner to keep the leather oils drying out and the suit getting hard. :thumbsup:

it used to be old torture practice to put a wet leather tight collar on prisoners neck and as the leather dried up, the prisoner got slowly choked

How nice. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for valuable info.

I have hung the leathers in my hallway (stretched a mop handle between two open doors and hung the hangers on that) and I have put my gloves on the electric fan which only circulates the air but does not heat nor shoots cold. I will put some newspapers into the boots and gloves overnight.

I will go out and buy the leather conditioner (in a RiteAid?) and apply it...

Should I be afraid of a mildew?

Martina

Do avoid drying your leathers with heat, but do not let your leathers sit too long, wet either. Leathers tend to mold up quickly if you do not start the drying process asap.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

From the Great North-wet:

Don't panic. Fixer has it right. No heat, gentle air circulation, dry slowly wicking it out of the boots by stuffing them with newspaper and changing it frequently. Keep things well up off the floor. Rub good leather conditioner in as you go, it will keep it soft, and I think will have mildew inhibitors in it. Quality gloves seem to be resilient to soakings - I've just let my favorite Bates deerskins dry over the edge of a table for 20 years and they're still in great shape, though they get soaked prolly 10+ times yearly. Leather will almost always stiffen somewhat after it dries, but it always seems to bounce back.

I would try to lay the suit out over some sort of rack, especially if it's a 1-piece, to keep the hanging weight from damaging the shoulder areas. Keep things out of the sun.

I have an idea you are experiencing heat and humidity like we don't get here, though, so I'm worried more about mildew than anything. BTW - we love Nikwax boot cleaner and waterproofing out here.

...which dries quickly get stiff and also shrinks (it used to be old torture practice to put a wet leather tight collar on prisoners neck and as the leather dried up, the prisoner got slowly choked).

Mordibly interesting, they used to put a man in a wet leather bag stretched tightly around him. It would actually break bones as it dried and shrank.

• Member Contributer

OH wow - I was so wrapped in my problem I FORGOT to do the search first ... Oyama description of how wet and soaked everything was is absolutely perfect. My story starts a bit differently but ends exactly the same - I would not be able to write it better...

So, now back on the topic - someone mentioned in Oyama thread to not use any man made chemicals on the leathers.... In local store, they had KIWI leather lotion which suppose to clean and replenish the oils in the leather, prevent drying and cracking ... They don't say what it is made off but I would say it is chemical ... Can I use it?

Martina

Archived